Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smog on a LQ4-9

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog on a LQ4-9

Hey just wondering what the LQ-4 uses for smog? I am wanting to put one in my 82 chevy and I still want it to pass smog here in Vegas. Just wondering what other parts I would need to keep it running "clean"
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about NV.. but In Calif, you have to use all of the Donor car/truck equipment. Also... you can not use a Truck engine in a Car and/or a Car engine in a Truck (If I recall). What is your 82 Chevy ? (car or truck). suggest you check with the NV DMV Smog rules.

You would need all of the original equipment that came with the LQ-4, Major parts are EGR (?), AIR, O2, CATS, PCM, BCM(?), Sensor (Gas tank pressure), CEL, and anything else that is related that can throw a CEL code.

If you can find a SMOG station that is willing to talk with you, that is the best thing to do. Also, check out a few different Stations, and if you find one that has a Tech that is willing to talk and help, get it inspected by him.. that may help passing and getting information.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Yeah it is an 82 Silverado truck. I think out here they have different levels of testing, like the newer the vehicle the less emissions they allow or the older the vehicle the less strict so I have to ask them when I get the new engine in the truck if they are going to smog for the new late model engine or are they going to smog for my 82.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, Usually for the new vehicle is what you have to pass and use the equipment off of. So, the LQ-4 vehicle is what you will have to pass as.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Unless things have changed you should be fine with Cats. The LQ4-9 will run cleaner if you plan on using all of injection system from that motor. I live in Phoenix and have a lq4 with a TR224 and Cats , Long tubes, programing and it passes here in AZ.. The inspection and roller test with no problems. When asked if that was the motor that came in the car I said " This is the motor that was in it when I bought it" Next question was what kind of motor is this I said "V8" . LOL No more questions and it passed no problems. This is in a 1995 Caprice.. I am familiar with the Smog check in Vegas and it is not quite as strict as Phoenix in my opinion.

Last edited by tooblue; 09-02-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Here in Utah we just have to pass smog based on the standards set for the year of the car or truck so in my case I have a 1990 and as long as it passes smog for the 1990 truck standard I am good to go. I would think NV would be the same. Most here in Utah don't even open the hood and if the did they wouldn't care anyway.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Yeah I want to use all the electronics with the new motor, the comuter, the fuel injection, everything I can, I would like to just put a cam in it, some headers and maybe a few other easy power adders. And also run cats and everything that it takes to pass smog, I had a stroker in it for a while but I am getting tired of paying somone off to smog it. haha.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Texas is kinda funny -- the vehicle gets tested based on the year/model of the car. So if you stick a 1960 Chevy 350 in your 2002 Camaro, that's fine -- but it'll have to pass the OBD-II test Conversely, sticking an LS1 in an older car such as my LS6 Mustang, means I need to be tested and pass the emissions level of a 1987 Mustang. Heck, I can do that WITHOUT cats.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

I live in ohio and we dont have emissions here anymore, got dumped last year sometime.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Teching In

So anywhoo, what do you guys think I need for extra parts? Cats? Is there some kind of electric smog pump kind like my old bent driven one? 0-2 stuff?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is a PCM controlled AIR (pump), the EGR valve/tubing, Eval (purge valve) and maybe a pressure sensor in the fuel tank sender (for the purging).

None of this is driven from the belts.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Teching In

alright cool man thanks for all the info and tips. Now I can start looking and getting things ready for this swap. Didnt you make your own motor mounts for your engine? Do you know of somewhere I could find mounts for my truck? I guess I coudl just put the motor in and bolt it to the tranny and then make something up if they dont line up. I think car and truck mount are similar, like the small block in my truck will fit in my 71 pontiac LeMans so if I find mounts for that type of car then maybe they will work in my truck..
Old 08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, the SBC truck and cars can use the same mounts.. I did build my own plates from the BRP template (as well as the S&P) that you can find on the sticky. You can find some cheap plates on ebay also.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Any swappers in Washington State? What are the rules here? I'm putting LS1 & T56 into a 1986 BMW E30. Almost done with it -- curious about what this state requires.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Launching!

These are clean burning motors I really think you should eliminate the rear o2 sensors vats, evap and so forth and run cats. you should easily pass emmisions for an 82 truck.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Teching In

yeah i think they are much cleaner burning than a non smogged small block. And the emission levels arent as strict for my truck as they are for say a 2000 model So I was thinking maybe I could get away with just running the minimal of just cats or cats and the 02 sensors or something. Kind of off subject but when I hook the LQ up to my TH400 what will I have to do about the wiring that used to go to the electronic trans, 4l80 or whatever??

BCZEE: so when you made your motor mounts did you just make a plate that attaches the stock LS1 mounts to the stock location of the chevelle mounts?
Just curious.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

I used the BRP style plated, got the template from the sticky.

The plates mounts to the block in the four forward boss locations. Then I used some Energy Suspension poly motor mounts. I modified and moved the frame mount locations as needed to position the engine to where I wanted it.

If you use the S&P style plates, you don't have to move the frame mounts, as they are designed to used the stock location of the SBC frame mounts. (But oil pan modifications maybe required with these plates).

Last edited by bczee; 08-31-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:54 AM
Teching In

I checked out those mounts, pretty cool, as long as I dont have to move the frame mounts, the easier the better haha. So what kind of wiring did you have to do between your motor and your T-56? What wiring comes off the motor that need to go to the trans? Since I just have a TH400 and the only wire on that is one for the kick down at WOT that goes to the carb.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes, If you use the S&P Style plate, you can use the stock location of the frame mount, but remember, you have to move or relocate some (AC) or all of the Accessories.

Wiring is pertty much as a stock LS1/T56.. or you can chose to not us any of the wires.. there is the Backup light switch, Skip-shift, Reverse lockout and VSS sensor on a T56..

I have just wired up a backup wire to the old chevelle wires, left the skip shift disconnected, and wired up a button switch for the reverse lockout (like a line lock), and right now, don't use the VSS singal (due to it being a Viper T56, the VSS Singal is not compatiable with the GM PCM, but I am researching how to get a Autometer speedo to work).
Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Hey, I'm up in Reno, so similiar smog requirements. My 71' Suburban has an LQ4 in it and the only smog requirement is a gas cap and pass the sniffer, to 71' standards. Yours might be a little more strict, but probably close. You will need cats, but that's probably about it.

Quick Reply: smog on a LQ4-9