Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX oil pans

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will fit, just make sure to use the correct pieces such as dipstick and tube and pickup and windage tray and you will be good to go.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will i HAVE to have a windage tray? I can get one really cheap but i was told that for this stroker it wasnt needed.

Also whats the part numbers for the pickup and any other parts ill need because I have an lq9 block from TSP and just the oil pan. Its hella hard to find the parts to have a turn key engine...for the c5.

Last edited by ssdungeon; 09-29-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SikkyMFG
that's a good question, I have not tested this. Anyone here know compatibility?
I have done some checking and all of the LS pans will interchange. You just need to install the correct pickup with the pan.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Got a question for you guys, someone can answer:

Will the C5 Batwing oil pan work in an F-Body WITH a BMR Tubular K-Member??? I searched and came up short..

Anyone?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Got a question for you guys, someone can answer:

Will the C5 Batwing oil pan work in an F-Body WITH a BMR Tubular K-Member??? I searched and came up short..

Anyone?
No idea if it will fit, but I ahve to ask.... why? The F-body pan is better for oil control than the batwing pan.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by beertestr
No idea if it will fit, but I ahve to ask.... why? The F-body pan is better for oil control than the batwing pan.
Well, I pulled my Ls1 complete out of an '03 vette with accessories and oil pan.

1. The C5 oil pan isnt worth anything
2. The F-Body oil pan is REALLY hard to find, not mention expensive.

It would save me alot of time and effort if i could just use the Batwing oil pan with my tubular k-Member.

-Justin
Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sikky:

Sir, I sent you a PM with GTO fitment questions.

- Greg

Originally Posted by SikkyMFG
Version 2 of our front sump pan is now available with new added features

* 7 quart high capacity design using required oil filter relocation kit
* 6061 CNC flanges
* Baffle and trap doors - improvement on OEM design to fight oil starvation
* Increased internal clearance for larger aftermarket connecting rods/bolts
* Magnetic drain plug and all required hardware
* Includes New OEM gasket
* Includes New OEM GTO oil pump pickup tube (oil filter relocation kit not included).
* Low profile pan - great for cars that need added ground clearance
* Redesigned rear pan flange that allows use of factory LS1/T56 bell housing dust covers

These pan combines the best fit with superior oiling to any factory/aftermarket pan or baffle design.

Never worry about oil starvation again!

Recommended for both street and track use.

This pans are in stock and ready to ship. check them out here
http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=37&catid=13

let us know if anyone has any questions or comments
thanks
Sikky
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Well, I pulled my Ls1 complete out of an '03 vette with accessories and oil pan.

1. The C5 oil pan isnt worth anything
2. The F-Body oil pan is REALLY hard to find, not mention expensive.

It would save me alot of time and effort if i could just use the Batwing oil pan with my tubular k-Member.

-Justin
Sorry I made the assumption you already had a LS1 F-body, sounds like you either bought a roller, or are upgrading a V6 car. So, followup to your comments.

1) There's a reason why it's not worth anything
2) Not sure why you think the F-body pan is hard to find. GM still uses it on HD engines they sell for chassis-cab trucks. It's readily available NEW

GM parts direct prices.. the shipping and handling not counting..
Pickup Tube 12558251 - $30.05
Pan - 12598151 - $177
Baffle- 12558254 - $28

Yer in business for probably under $275 shipped.

GMPP catalog shows 12558762 for the f-body pan.. It probably is the pan with the baffle in it.. the pic in the catalog shows the oil level switch, and the cover above the oil filter, and what looks like the baffle. Anyway, Scoggin Dickey has that PN for $211, and you might still need to get a pickup tube.

Oh, and don't forget to get the right dipstick for the F-body pan so the oil level reads right on the stick. Sure, you could just re-mark the stick you have when you first fill the engine.. but what fun is that? PN 12551581 - dipstick, and 12551577 Tube.. you need both to get the end of the stick in the right place in the pan and read correctly.

Not incredibly cheap, but not bad considering.

The Corvette accessories may or may not fit into the F-body either. The belt (and consequently all the components) sit about 1" closer to the engine, and the AC compressor sits further outboard on the Corvette than the Camaro. I'd be post Q's about how the accessory drive fits as well. You may have more $$ involved to get everything to fit in the car than you think. Luckily, while the Vette pan is not worth much, the accessory drive (complete with crank pulley and water pump) are worth some money.

Not trying to drop a turd into your punchbowl, just some thoughts from somebody that's been there, done that on my LSx swaps.

Last edited by beertestr; 10-21-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Has any got the dimensions of the autokraft pan including the sump.

Bob
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by beertestr
Sorry I made the assumption you already had a LS1 F-body, sounds like you either bought a roller, or are upgrading a V6 car. So, followup to your comments.

1) There's a reason why it's not worth anything
2) Not sure why you think the F-body pan is hard to find. GM still uses it on HD engines they sell for chassis-cab trucks. It's readily available NEW

GM parts direct prices.. the shipping and handling not counting..
Pickup Tube 12558251 - $30.05
Pan - 12598151 - $177
Baffle- 12558254 - $28

Yer in business for probably under $275 shipped.

GMPP catalog shows 12558762 for the f-body pan.. It probably is the pan with the baffle in it.. the pic in the catalog shows the oil level switch, and the cover above the oil filter, and what looks like the baffle. Anyway, Scoggin Dickey has that PN for $211, and you might still need to get a pickup tube.

Oh, and don't forget to get the right dipstick for the F-body pan so the oil level reads right on the stick. Sure, you could just re-mark the stick you have when you first fill the engine.. but what fun is that? PN 12551581 - dipstick, and 12551577 Tube.. you need both to get the end of the stick in the right place in the pan and read correctly.

Not incredibly cheap, but not bad considering.

The Corvette accessories may or may not fit into the F-body either. The belt (and consequently all the components) sit about 1" closer to the engine, and the AC compressor sits further outboard on the Corvette than the Camaro. I'd be post Q's about how the accessory drive fits as well. You may have more $$ involved to get everything to fit in the car than you think. Luckily, while the Vette pan is not worth much, the accessory drive (complete with crank pulley and water pump) are worth some money.

Not trying to drop a turd into your punchbowl, just some thoughts from somebody that's been there, done that on my LSx swaps.
Damn you got some good info! thank you very much! Alot of what you have i knew as i know the majority of the swap, its just the small details I didnt know IE, the dipstick.

First off its going into a '96 Z28, still unsure exactly how "far" i want to take it as a street car. After doing more research, I am most definitely am going to go with a brand new oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube. It will probably be one of the last items to get before the actual installation of the motor, just in case i find something in the next year or so when its actually ready to bolt in.

Very much appreciated for the PN on the dipstick and tube, again that will be a last minute thing. As for the corvette accessories, im pretty sure it will work as long as the ABS module is removed, which i plan on doing as this car will be a one weekend warrior. So im not to terribly worried about swapping accessories, but if need be I will...

Again, thanks for the info, it was more than helpful!!!

-Justin
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the 2010 camaro pan on the first post - but no dimensions. Anyone had a chance to measure it yet? I'm interested in the size comparison to the F-body pan.
-Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob H
I saw the 2010 camaro pan on the first post - but no dimensions. Anyone had a chance to measure it yet? I'm interested in the size comparison to the F-body pan.
-Bob
It's an 8 quart pan, and is based off the G8 pan, but with an extra bump up on the front part of the sump, and mounting bosses for the oil cooler.
The sump comes further forward, and is a little deeper than an F-body pan. I don't have dims handy, but I'll post them when I do.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I checked on the F-body pan number and it has superceded to 12628771 with gasket. I have a buddy that still gives me cost on stuff at the dealership I worked at for 5 years and I can get it pretty cheap yet.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Teching In

BRP has a new version of the hot rod pan. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I own a G Body and the LH8 pan hangs low.
The OEM LH8 is 7.5in deep

This is only 5.5in deep

Quote from above listing:

This pan offers the clearance of a 1998-2002 Camaro LS1 pan at a total depth of 5.5In and the rear sump of a LH8 and 5 quart oil capacity. This pan comes with a new pick up tube, the pan and a baffling plate (not show) that controls oil in the pan. The stock LH8 windage tray is to be used with this unit but is not included. The first run will only be 50 units and I will be taking pre-orders to the fact that these will sell out fast! The clearance of the LH8 and depth of the F-Pan make this the only retrofit cast pan of its kind! It even uses a stock GM filter. This pan has the same thick 3/8 flange that’s on GM units for a pan that will add block rigidity. The LH8 hangs to far below the frame and the F-pan sump will not clear the frame! this is the best of both worlds and cost about the same as a stamped pan and has a screw on oil filter.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Default New Oil Pan

Originally Posted by LS3 G Body
BRP has a new version of the hot rod pan. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I own a G Body and the LH8 pan hangs low.
The OEM LH8 is 7.5in deep

This is only 5.5in deep

Quote from above listing:

This pan offers the clearance of a 1998-2002 Camaro LS1 pan at a total depth of 5.5In and the rear sump of a LH8 and 5 quart oil capacity. This pan comes with a new pick up tube, the pan and a baffling plate (not show) that controls oil in the pan. The stock LH8 windage tray is to be used with this unit but is not included. The first run will only be 50 units and I will be taking pre-orders to the fact that these will sell out fast! The clearance of the LH8 and depth of the F-Pan make this the only retrofit cast pan of its kind! It even uses a stock GM filter. This pan has the same thick 3/8 flange that’s on GM units for a pan that will add block rigidity. The LH8 hangs to far below the frame and the F-pan sump will not clear the frame! this is the best of both worlds and cost about the same as a stamped pan and has a screw on oil filter.
That pan IS NOT sold or manufactured by BRP. This is the pan that should have been produced a long time ago. This pan is being sold exclusively by RetroLSX who used to be associated with BRP. I believe he is going to be a vendor on this site very shortly. I just ordered one myself because his initial run is going to be 50 units and I do believe that they will be sold out pretty fast and I wanted to get in on the initial run. I hope this helps clarify the confusion between Shawn (RetroLSX) and the BRP pan. Totally different outfits.
Rich
Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Just saw

this link. May/may not have already been posted. Don't have time to read thru the entire thread...
http://www.gmtruckhq.com/lsx-discuss...them-2720.html
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Name:  IMG_2364.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2365.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2366.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  pan.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  15.1 KB

This is called the LHX and is not a BRP pan, and I am not longer associated with that company. I use to do the sales calls and after me and the shop manager/lead designer left there was not much going on over there. The pan is cast at the facility that makes the LS9 pans for the ZR1 corvettes and is made the highest quality. It uses the OEM LH8 windage tray, Oil filter and dipstick tube assembly. It’s designed to offer optimal clearance without having to fear speed bumps! This pan is being used in a new line of conversion kits currently in development that will be significantly lower in cost yet be high quality complete kits from mounts to crossmembers. That will have corresponding stainless long tube and mid length headers at exceptional prices. On the first run of 50 several have already been sold and will be shipping out approx Dec 14-21.

Shawn
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Shawn, make sure they cast a RetroLSX logo in the pan when they make it... its all about branding!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll add my experience with the Moroso 20141 pan and #24050 pickup tube.

Name:  DSC_9703.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  98.6 KB

I am putting together a pumpgas, 9:1 CR 408 for turbocharging in my '69 Nova. I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of oil capacity for twin turbos and ~7,000 rpm. Basically the only way I found to get a high capacity (7+ quarts) oil system is going with the Moroso or Canton pans and dealing with the remote oil filter. I chose the Moroso 20141 angle sumped pan since it allows use of a windage tray (their 20140 pan does not), and it has 7 quart capacity. I also bought their matching #24050 pickup tube, oil pan stud kit #38541, and billet remote filter mount #23764. I chose to use my stock LQ4 windage tray instead of the Moroso #22941.

After fitting up the Moroso pickup tube to my shortblock, I found it contacted the GM windage tray in two places and did not sit square with the oil pump. I "dimpled" the windage tray just above where the pickup tube turns down into the pump, and clearanced the tray where the pickup tube brace bolts to the main stud. With just a little work it all came together, and the pickup now sits flat in the pump, even with the pump spaced out for a double roller chain.

Here you can see where the tube hits the tray and how out of square it was at first:
Name:  DSC_9702.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  76.9 KB

And here is where I opend up the tray to give room for the pickup tube's brace:
Name:  DSC_9695.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  DSC_9699.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  77.2 KB
Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 AM

Does anyone know if the F-body oil pan, pt #12558762 will fit a 06 gen III/IV 5.3?

Quick Reply: LSX oil pans