Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX oil pans

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the BRP swap kit the LH8 will go in without notching the frame. The only draw back is that the engine and trans would have to be removed at the same time. We have also updated the kit and it will be a direct bolt using the OEM mounting points for the 83-2003 S10 2wd trucks.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bad98t/a
I dont know if anyone else is doing an LSx swap in an s10 or blazer, but someone told me you could use an 08 hummer h3 5.3 pan and there would be no mods to the crossmember or oilpan. Anybody confirm? Thanks
Moroso is making an oil pan with help from RPM

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=139089

Also, for you Fbody guys.. I was at a little show at Turbonetics and Milodon was there(since they are across the street from each other)
and they told me that they are coming out with a steel drag only LS oil pan with trap doors, kickouts, etc etc and should be available in the next 2 months....

When I get one, I will post pics of it.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i still would just like to see a stamped steel sheetmetal pan like for sbc
i would imagine they would be easier to fabricate since the rail is single plane design
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Default Oil Pan Help

All,

I'm new to the forum, one of the members on the Factory Five forum sent me this link so hopefully someone will chime in with some advice.

I'm building a Factory Five Roadster (65 Cobra Replica) and installing a LSx engine (5.3l LM7 to be exact). The stock truck oil pan will sit far to low so I'll need to go with something else. The member that sent me this link has the same set up with a GTO oil pan (I think he told me the depth is 6.25") that sits a bit more than an 1" below the framing. I see on this thread that the Corvette LS2 (serial number 12581810) is 5" deep which would clear my framing. Can anyone tell me if this pan will fit my GenIII LM7? It also looks like the F-Body (12558762) would work if my first choice doesn't thought I may be a tad below the framing, which I can live with if needed.

Thanks all in advance!
Chris
Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctcranor
All,

I'm new to the forum, one of the members on the Factory Five forum sent me this link so hopefully someone will chime in with some advice.

I'm building a Factory Five Roadster (65 Cobra Replica) and installing a LSx engine (5.3l LM7 to be exact). The stock truck oil pan will sit far to low so I'll need to go with something else. The member that sent me this link has the same set up with a GTO oil pan (I think he told me the depth is 6.25") that sits a bit more than an 1" below the framing. I see on this thread that the Corvette LS2 (serial number 12581810) is 5" deep which would clear my framing. Can anyone tell me if this pan will fit my GenIII LM7? It also looks like the F-Body (12558762) would work if my first choice doesn't thought I may be a tad below the framing, which I can live with if needed.

Thanks all in advance!
Chris

Depends on how flexible you are with where the sump is. GTO is front sump, front filter. LS2 Corvette is rear sump, and longer fore-aft than a traditional small block. F-body hangs lower than the LS2/LS3 Vette pan. As for fit. Any of the pans will bolt to your LM7, make sure you get the correct pickup tube.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I am "clear" under the engine front to back (I think, engine is being shipped so I don't have it in front of me) as far as any components other than the engine/tranny itself. I am limited with the 4" round framing side to side but this spread is probably 2 feet wide so nothing to concerning there. It is the depth that is problematic. As far as getting the correct pick up tube, would that be something I could verify at a dealer service department?

Thanks again!
Chris
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ctcranor
Mike,

Thanks for the response. I am "clear" under the engine front to back (I think, engine is being shipped so I don't have it in front of me) as far as any components other than the engine/tranny itself. I am limited with the 4" round framing side to side but this spread is probably 2 feet wide so nothing to concerning there. It is the depth that is problematic. As far as getting the correct pick up tube, would that be something I could verify at a dealer service department?

Thanks again!
Chris
SDPC sponsor here---->
will provide all the info and part numbers, along with the correct pickup tube, must also use correct windage tray for the pan in use
Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<------------------here also. lol
thanks NemeSS
Old 07-05-2009, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Been reading this thread...nice job everyone! Anyone have experience with the Canton aluminum pan P/N 13-270A on an LS1 in a 1969 Camaro with an aftermarket Martz front suspension clip and manual steering. Thanks......
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Hi Guys...
I've got a Truck Pan used and a GMPP 'Hot Rod' pan new for LS1's. Any interest shoot me a note. I live in SW Michigan.
Dave
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Does anyone have any info on the LS3 pans? I need an Fbody pan but can't find one cheap enough. I have the chance to buy an LS3 pan.

Is it dimensionally close to the Fbody pan?

If not, and I can find an Fbody pan, does anyone have details as far where it needs to be notched and the pickup tube cut?

I can't weld but If I have the info, maybe I can find someone locally to weld it instead of S&P doing it and save a few bucks.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinYukon
Does anyone have any info on the LS3 pans? I need an Fbody pan but can't find one cheap enough. I have the chance to buy an LS3 pan.

Is it dimensionally close to the Fbody pan?

If not, and I can find an Fbody pan, does anyone have details as far where it needs to be notched and the pickup tube cut?

I can't weld but If I have the info, maybe I can find someone locally to weld it instead of S&P doing it and save a few bucks.
Which LS3 pan is it? Corvette or G8/2010 Camaro ?

The G8/Camaro pan, while rear sump, is larger than the F Body pan both in depth and in length of the sump area. You can check the dimensions of the Corvette pan at the front of this thread .
Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rsz288
Which LS3 pan is it? Corvette or G8/2010 Camaro ?

The G8/Camaro pan, while rear sump, is larger than the F Body pan both in depth and in length of the sump area. You can check the dimensions of the Corvette pan at the front of this thread .
Sorry, forgot to mention that. It's an LS3/Corvette pan. I can't find any dimension info for it.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, forgot to mention that. It's an LS3/Corvette pan. I can't find any dimension info for it.
LS3 Corvette pan and LS2 Corvette pan are the same dimensionally, not sure if it is the EXACT same part number. The sump is not as deep as the F-body pan, and it goes much further forward. If you need to cut the front of the sump to clear the x-member on an f-pan, you will have to cut even more on the Vette pan, and deal with a pretty severe reduction in oil capacity.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 6.0 e30
i need a front sump oil pan for a lq9...because i am doing a swap into a bmw e30 but i have no idea what pan to use......can some one help me please.....thanks
great pan for any custom front sump setup, extremely low profile, high oil capacity and excellent windage tray and trap door design to eliminate oil starvation issues in extreme conditions.

Quality made with the best materials, incorporates factory dust shields on LS1 with t56 trans. Great cross member clearance as well. Can be bought online for a great deal.

http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=37&catid=13
Old 07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

As Beer Tester notes, LS2 and LS3 pans are physically the same.

3rd one down the page:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/8155557-post1.html

With dimensions.....
Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question LS7 dry sump on non LS7 engien?

Can I use my stock oil pump (LS2 engine) with a LS7 dry oil pan and lines and tank?

I am keeping the engine fully stock, I just like the looks of the oil tank and stuff when open the hood.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSfan70s
Can I use my stock oil pump (LS2 engine) with a LS7 dry oil pan and lines and tank?

I am keeping the engine fully stock, I just like the looks of the oil tank and stuff when open the hood.
Unfortunately the answer to this question is no. The LS7 dry sump pan mates to the LS7 pump.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rsz288
Unfortunately the answer to this question is no. The LS7 dry sump pan mates to the LS7 pump.
And what else needs to be changed on the LS2 engine to get the LS7 pump working?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSfan70s
And what else needs to be changed on the LS2 engine to get the LS7 pump working?
The LS7 crank has a longer snout to drive the additional oil pump stage, and the front cover is "deeper" to fit the larger oil pump in.

Not so easy.

Quick Reply: LSX oil pans