Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX oil pans

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toddoky

Any chance of you getting the LS1tech'ers a "Group Purchase" for the new Pan ?

BC
Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
Toddoky

Any chance of you getting the LS1tech'ers a "Group Purchase" for the new Pan ?

BC
I wish I could bczee. I'm just a lowly design engineer here and don't hold much influence with such matters. Technical info I can get you, discounts...not so much unfortunately.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Nice work detective. The Holley pan you saw there will be an additional pan in our lineup and does not replace the existing pan, which has advantages over the new design when you can use it (mainly stroker crank capability and the ability to run a full-length windage tray). The new pan, as you suspect was designed to improve engine inclination angles and components clearances in LS swaps that have been proven to need them, i.e. 1st gen F-bodies and Chevelles. For cars like 2nd-gen Camaros, you can use either one. The oil capacity is 6.2 quarts including the filter.
Hey Todd, do you know when this pan will be available? I just called Holley and they said its not in the system to order yet. The guy I spoke to told me it will be part # 302-2.

Looks like this will work better than the original Holley pan on my 69 Camaro correct?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado98
Hey Todd, do you know when this pan will be available? I just called Holley and they said its not in the system to order yet. The guy I spoke to told me it will be part # 302-2.

Looks like this will work better than the original Holley pan on my 69 Camaro correct?
The official release date is not known at this point as development is still ongoing related to manufacturing issues. I can tell you that this new pan is absolutely the way you want to go in a 1st-gen F-body unless you need stroker crank capability and are willing to notch the engine crossmember to get it. If you want an oil pan that holds 6.2 quarts of oil (with the filter), clamshell style engine mounts, headers and exhaust systems that deliver a 3 degree engine inclination angle, proper oil pan to tie rod end clearance without jamming the engine up against the firewall and the best ground clearance available then you'll need to remain patient while we get over the hump with all these components. I can tell you that the oil pan will be released last, so if you are waiting on it to finish a project tomorrow or in the next couple of weeks, it's not going to be available for you to do so.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

The official release date is not known at this point as development is still ongoing related to manufacturing issues. I can tell you that this new pan is absolutely the way you want to go in a 1st-gen F-body unless you need stroker crank capability and are willing to notch the engine crossmember to get it. If you want an oil pan that holds 6.2 quarts of oil (with the filter), clamshell style engine mounts, headers and exhaust systems that deliver a 3 degree engine inclination angle, proper oil pan to tie rod end clearance without jamming the engine up against the firewall and the best ground clearance available then you'll need to remain patient while we get over the hump with all these components. I can tell you that the oil pan will be released last, so if you are waiting on it to finish a project tomorrow or in the next couple of weeks, it's not going to be available for you to do so.
Thanks! I can wait a couple months. Sounds like this is exactly what I need.
Keep us updated if you hear anything about the release and when it will be available.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

Here's some install images of the new Holley oil pan for you 1st-gen F-body guys. The two side shots show the tie rod to oil pan clearance at full steer in both directions and the other image shows the pan-to-crossmember clearance at the front of the car. I thought it would be useful to also give you some dimensional information to go along with these photos to compare the new pan to the current Holley pan...the new pan is 1-1/4" tall at the front compared to 2-3/8" tall for the existing pan. Since the clearance between the new pan and the crossmember is 3/4", you would have to provide a minimum 1/2" deep notch in the crossmember to run the current Holley pan at the same engine height and clear the crossmember with 1/8" minimum clearance to spare. I don't know if frame stands and swap plates will even let you go this low with the motor, but our new proprietary clamshell mounts will.
Attached Thumbnails LSX oil pans-img_2194.jpg   LSX oil pans-img_2222.jpg   LSX oil pans-img_2223.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd

What placement is the engine.. plates ?.. Standard, setup or forward ? Can you post a photo of the block/head to firewall clearance ?

I like the front clearance now. Is this using a 3/4 windage tray or ?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bczee
Todd

What placement is the engine.. plates ?.. Standard, setup or forward ? Can you post a photo of the block/head to firewall clearance ?

I like the front clearance now. Is this using a 3/4 windage tray or ?
The engine is slightly forward of the stock bellhousing location by intentionally placing the cylinder heads in a natural appearing position in relation to the firewall. Just as GM would not have jammed the engine up against the firewall if the car was originally designed for an LS engine we also were against do so; we also found better clearances for just about all components involved by moving the engine forward slightly. With this positioning, the clearance issues between the servo cover on a 4L60 and the tunnel are gone, clearance issues with an auto transmission dipstick are gone, header tube collision with the steering box is gone without having to raise the motor, SB heater core compatibility issues are gone, A/C evaporator housing clearance issues are gone and finally steering centerlink/tie rod to oil pan clearance issues are gone without having to use a notched 4th-gen F-body pan and give up oil capacity (when using the new Holley pan). The common approach of using frame stands and swap plates will not provide this improved geometry, so we developed our clamshell retrofit mounting kit specifically for this application, which allows you to drop the engine right in without breaking a sweat or have to mumbling curse words under your breath. Here are 2 images that clarify the position and mounts for you. And yes, I almost forgot to mention that the new pan uses a 3/4 length windage tray just like the 4th-gen F-body pan does.
Attached Thumbnails LSX oil pans-img_1851.jpg   LSX oil pans-img_1829.jpg  

Last edited by user 4737373; 09-24-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: omitted information
Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

I just sent back the new Holley Pan I just purchased...all we need now are part numbers......just let us all know when the new stuff is available and who to order from.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

Here's the comparative CAD models and dimensions of both of the Holley pans I've prepared for this thread. I hope this is useful to those considering the purchase of either pan. For you 2nd-gen F-body swappers you are in luck as both pans easily install into that application without modification. For all the GM muscle car LS swap applications I've seen thus far, the new pan would deffinately be a better option for 1st-gen F-bodies and also all the A-body cars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Existing Holley pan dim (1).pdf (102.0 KB, 635 views)
File Type: pdf
New Holley pan dim (2).pdf (105.3 KB, 624 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jblakeslee
I just sent back the new Holley Pan I just purchased...all we need now are part numbers......just let us all know when the new stuff is available and who to order from.
That's the only type of return I don't mind seeing.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Teching In

The engine is slightly forward of the stock bellhousing location by intentionally placing the cylinder heads in a natural appearing position in relation to the firewall. Just as GM would not have jammed the engine up against the firewall if the car was originally designed for an LS engine we also were against do so; we also found better clearances for just about all components involved by moving the engine forward slightly. With this positioning, the clearance issues between the servo cover on a 4L60 and the tunnel are gone, clearance issues with an auto transmission dipstick are gone, header tube collision with the steering box is gone without having to raise the motor, SB heater core compatibility issues are gone, A/C evaporator housing clearance issues are gone and finally steering centerlink/tie rod to oil pan clearance issues are gone without having to use a notched 4th-gen F-body pan and give up oil capacity (when using the new Holley pan). The common approach of using frame stands and swap plates will not provide this improved geometry, so we developed our clamshell retrofit mounting kit specifically for this application, which allows you to drop the engine right in without breaking a sweat or have to mumbling curse words under your breath. Here are 2 images that clarify the position and mounts for you. And yes, I almost forgot to mention that the new pan uses a 3/4 length windage tray just like the 4th-gen F-body pan does.
how much room from the engine to the core support with this kit
Randy
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by randyrats
Randy
Hey Randy, I'll dig into some photos for you tomorrow to come up with a point of reference that may be helpful in determining that for you.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by randyrats
Randy
Hey Randy, this is the only shot I could find that gives some sort of reference in determining the distance from the block to the radiatior with the new Hooker 1st-gen F-body mounts...you can see that the machined front surface of the block is just behind the front edge of the engine crossmember. The actual amount of clearance anyone has between the engine and radiator/support is going to depend on what accessory drive components you are using in your swap, with the Corvette offset offering the most, the F-body offset the 2nd most and the truck offset offering the least.
Attached Thumbnails LSX oil pans-img_2046.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Todd,

Any updates on release dates for the new 1st Gen parts?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jblakeslee
Todd,

Any updates on release dates for the new 1st Gen parts?
The earliest you are going to see any of the 1st-gen stuff start to show up on the shelves is around the SEMA show next month. I just dropped off the completed welding fixtures for the exhaust systems yesterday at our production facility and we will have the welding fixtures for the mid-length and long-tube headers also there by the 25th of this month. The first items you will see available are the engine mount kit and transmission crossmembers as it's primarily a packaging operation to get them on the shelf with very little manufacturing required on our end.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

thanks..just keep us posted
Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The earliest you are going to see any of the 1st-gen stuff start to show up on the shelves is around the SEMA show next month. I just dropped off the completed welding fixtures for the exhaust systems yesterday at our production facility and we will have the welding fixtures for the mid-length and long-tube headers also there by the 25th of this month. The first items you will see available are the engine mount kit and transmission crossmembers as it's primarily a packaging operation to get them on the shelf with very little manufacturing required on our end.
Todd are you guys going to have the first gen stuff mocked up in a sub frame at SEMA
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stacy moore
Todd are you guys going to have the first gen stuff mocked up in a sub frame at SEMA
All the 1st-gen components will be there but will not be installed in a subframe due to space constraints we will have within the Hooker booth. We will be taking a 2nd-gen subframe with all our components for that application as it was previously prepared for this purpose. If you are coming to the show be sure to stop by and introduce yourself and I can go over all the details of the parts with you so you can share your 1st-hand viewing of them with other users here on LS1tech.

Todd
Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks Todd. I am about to remove my big block for an LS in my 69 nova. Looks like these components will eliminate the need to figure out frame stands, mounts and oil pan! Awesome news!
Post up in all the forums when we can buy the stuff.
Ron

Quick Reply: LSX oil pans