Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Bracket

I have read lots of post and have found lots of part numbers but I still have a question. Will any of the GM mounts place a 2004 GTO alternator on the Upper Driver side? The lower mount hits my steering rack.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have a bracket that would mount your alternator high on the passenger side.....

You would not need to mount use the other portion of the kit so I could sell it at a cheaper price.... With alterntor 420.00...
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

without alt $ ?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I ran across this. I was trying to eliminate idler and tensioner.
http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000801#
Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can knock off 100 for the alternator, this is not a stock f Body alternator....
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Any more thoughts on this?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car shop, what type of alternator does your kit use? its single wire right?

i just recently bought the bracket from ls1 speed. it has no directions and i have no idea what alternator to use. i just recently got my carb ls1 running and i cant get the f body alt to charge. i tried the 470ohm resistor and it still doesnt work.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Are you using a cs style alternator? The picture looks to me that it may be a cs style, We use this painless harness to wire up the units.

http://painlesswiring.carshopinc.com...id/43827/30707
Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

i wish someone would make a bracket to mount the alternator high on the driverside and price where the average guy could afford it. this is the last thing i left to get the el camino going and i am going to just rig something to work because (and i mean no offense to anyone) i am not going to spend $500+ just to move the alternator. is it just me or does that seem absolutely insane?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

if my ls1 speed bracket doesnt work out i will pm you for a price on it.

carshop. will that painless harness work on my stock F body ls1 alternator? how does it hook up? if so i will order one! i found out my factory ls1 brackets will work. i just cant get it to charge.

damn, looks like i need a 30705 plug. the camaros alt is internal fan.

Last edited by DCx; 01-31-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SMAX
i wish someone would make a bracket to mount the alternator high on the driverside and price where the average guy could afford it. this is the last thing i left to get the el camino going and i am going to just rig something to work because (and i mean no offense to anyone) i am not going to spend $500+ just to move the alternator. is it just me or does that seem absolutely insane?

I seem to see this statement alot and it kind of bugs me....The initial investment, R&D and equipment required to create such a kit is very healthy.
Not to mention having to source the parts, pay employees and keep the lights on..... For your hard earned dollar you are getting a tried and true peice that is not only built to look good but last the life of your conversion. Cosmetics are important and most homebuilt brackets just look terrible.... Why spend the money to install a high tech engine (large investment) and not make it as reliable and clean looking as possible...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Launching!

I just need a temporary home built bracket to position my alt on the top driver's side. I'm planning to later get an s&p polished setup. So mine will look good then but for now I want to be able to just let my engine run and be able to drive it to work out bugs and get body and paint and interior done. under hood beautification is least worry on my list as of now. If anyone can make me a home made braket to run my alt and water pump on a 5.3. I will be greatful. I don't want to spend a lot on somethin that will only be temporary tho. Thanks pm me if anyone can make me a bracket. thanks ahead of time.

P.S. It can be unpainted steel for all I care. I just need to be able to put a belt on my water pump and alt.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

heres our alternator relocation kit

This bracket does require the alternator option listed to use it

http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000801

Old 01-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Launching!

I don't have any of my brackets or anything. I just want a homemade bracket to hold my alt so I can run alt wp and crank. at most all I want to have is one tensioner. I don't want to spend a lot on this because as i said it's temporary. not permanent. It will not even be on my motor for a year.. All I want is a cheap bracket don't care how it looks it can be made from flat bar for all I care. just need to be able to run my engine. nothing fancy

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
heres our alternator relocation kit

This bracket does require the alternator option listed to use it

http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000801

Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DCx
if my ls1 speed bracket doesnt work out i will pm you for a price on it.

carshop. will that painless harness work on my stock F body ls1 alternator? how does it hook up? if so i will order one! i found out my factory ls1 brackets will work. i just cant get it to charge.

damn, looks like i need a 30705 plug. the camaros alt is internal fan.
why not buy it complete and you would have 0 issues ?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Here's the cheap method I used.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post7802450 post 5

Just some flat steel and a couple small lengths of gas pipe.

I used all existing holes in the motor and head.

I welded the pipe and flat, but if it's just temporary, you may be able to get away without welding it.

For the tensioner I used the one that came with the motor. (04 gto)

If you need the length of the belt I used, let me know and I'll measure it for ya.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love the chatter about brackets here. I have used car Shop items and they are very good and would never say anything bad about them. It is a lot of work to get things sorted out and idiot proof as possible. We all know how stupid peple are these days . Being an old Hot-rodder I still need to do things myself to see how they will work. I am using a Classic Auto Air setup on my Nova but forget about a reasonable compressor bracket set. I WILL NOT spend $1200 on brackets to mount it!!! I have researched and studied and have brackets that will mount a Sanden compressor on my F-body LS1 high on the passenger side while being tensioned the way GM designed things. The CAD drawings are almost done and then it is to the shop to have them cut out. I don't want the billet look since that is not what I am after but they will function well and solve my problem. I hope we never stop scrounging and making stuff just because we can. It is the American way.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

ls1 speed

why not buy it complete and you would have 0 issues ?
i would have but the alternator is n/a on your page.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Launching!

You might contact "smokinHawk" at $70.What have you got to lose?

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
I have a new style alternator relocation bracket that mounts the alt to the passenger side head and puts the tensioner down below between the PS pump and crank.
this allows use for turbo installs were you need to free up space down below the block for manifolds or downpipes.
comes with bolts, and nuts, just need a belt.
asking $70 shipped UPS (insured & tracking) or $65 USPS (non insured)
thanks for looking.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carshopinc.com
I seem to see this statement alot and it kind of bugs me....The initial investment, R&D and equipment required to create such a kit is very healthy.
Not to mention having to source the parts, pay employees and keep the lights on..... For your hard earned dollar you are getting a tried and true peice that is not only built to look good but last the life of your conversion. Cosmetics are important and most homebuilt brackets just look terrible.... Why spend the money to install a high tech engine (large investment) and not make it as reliable and clean looking as possible...
alot of us dont need a "system" just a bracket to relocate the stock fbody alternator to the top driverside. dont get me wrong cause i do like your set up, but it is just way more than i want to spend to move an alternator.

Last edited by SMAX; 01-31-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Alternator Bracket