Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen Camaro LS1 Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd Gen Camaro LS1 Swap??

Wondering if anyone had any advise on setting up an LS1(5.3) into a 1990 3rd gen IROC camaro. My major ?s are about wiring up the engine so that everything operates properly and the all of the dash guages work, etc. What harness and PCM to get and how to mate the harness to be compatible with the rest of the car. I would believe that the the motor mounts shouldnt be an issue since the suspension would be similar to the 4th gen camaro and a t56 is very similar to the t5. And of coarse the the oil pan issues as well but dont think that would be that bad either. Anyone do this swap? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Lots of info on that swap under Thirdgen.org. The ls1 oilpan will clear stock cross member. If you want to run Ls1 a/c you'll have to notch the cross member to clear compressor(thirdgen.org). Also purchase some ls1 conversion mounts (hawks thirdgen). What are you doing in the way of a tranny?If using 700r4 you must use a spacer to space the crankshaft flange to flexplate out. Also elongate bolt holes on the flexplate ect ect. Lots of info out there! Just search.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Looking to do the t56. The car is set up for t5 now which I may start with to get all of the bugs worked out but t56 for sure in the long run. Assuming that the clutch system is compatible which it should be if I have done my homework correctly on that.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The swap is really easy. There aren't really any issues other than the ac compressor (hits the factory kmemeber). Other than that, you can buy all the mounts and stuff designed for the swap. If you are worried about the wiring, just send the harness off and have it reworked. That way all you have to do is just plug stuff in. The Fbody ecu and harness would probably be easiest to come by and work with, but as far as I know you can use whatever harness and ecu that come with your donor engine.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

actuallly i am doing this swap right now as we speak i can send you some pics of the car and any problems i run into
Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Launching!

I'm doing a 5.3 in my 87. I'm going with the 4l60e, still looking for one of those at the moment.... Also, I used the truck harness from my donor. It was all connected through the fuse box. I put the fuse box in the other battery tray where the charcoal can was. I think it was like 10 wires to hook into my car harness.... don't have a lot of pics but if u plan on doing the wiring yourself get the wiring diagrams from alldatadiy.com
Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm doing an LS1 in my 92 as we speak. I haven't gotten to the motor/trans part yet as I'm still working bugs out with rear suspension. I just finished mocking it all up other than the anti-roll system I got from BMR. The 9" is in, the BMR LCA's are on and it's got a new torque arm from UMI with a th350 crossmember and a driveshaft loop. I got a WAD of info off of TGO and most of my motor info comes from here. I have a 98 LS1 with a real good set of CNC'd heads, a comp stick with 598/605 on a 113 LSA, carbed intake and a 750 Mighty Demon, 4200 BTE nitrous converter, TCI th350 with a forward patterm MVB, a Moser 9" with 3.90 gears and a spool and the list goes on and on. It has to roll on it's own soon so I can get it over and have the new front k-member done with the LSx mounts, coil overs and a manual rack. Should lighten stuff up a bunch on the nose. Here's a shot of it all mocked up today. Was checking for wheel clearance against my 1LE brake calipers. THEY FIT!! It's about time SOMETHING went together as designed! Good luck with the swap and shoot out some pics.....
Old 02-22-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im knee deep in a '04 5.3 swap into my '89 iroc. My swap will probably be a bit different in wiring due to the fact that im going to be using the electronic throttle, 4L60e, and fabricating my own parts.

For mounts, i machined my own at school. The transmission bolts up fine.

Info in regards to the truck peices. First of all, the oil pan isnt going to work. I had the engine sitting in my car the other day and the oil pan is 2.5 - 3" below the stock k-member. Not going to work. Ill be using an f-body oil pan setup

The accessories will work aslong as your retain the truck intake and get atleast a 3" cowl. Im working Function + Form in my car, so that called for F-body accessories (paid $350 + ship for them). Then my dad bought a 2000 Trans-am Which we are parting so i scored an LS6 intake, and any other little peices i need.

I have yet to determine injectors, or even attempt to figure them out for that matter. The injectors i have are the new style. Im going to see if i can use my stock truck fuel rails + injectors on the LS6 intake, then use an LS1/2 fuel cross over seeing the truck one wont work. If that doesnt work, ill be using stock LS1 injectors, Professional products billet fuel rails + Regulator which will be a plug & play into my existing fuel hard lines.

The powersteering is easy, i used the stock thirdgen return line and the stock 4th gen feed line.

Coolant hoses, ive got a 2001 F-body upper rad hose and a 2002 Silverado 1500 lower rad hose. Isnt perfect, but hey. It works.

In regards to wiring, ive yet to finish this yet. I intend on having the engine completely electronically controlled and since the engine is a 2003+ ive got the newer, faster ECM, which is identified by the green connector.

A few other notes for the thirdgen, if your running A/C you need to knotch the k-member and use truck coils otherwise you hit the heater box, wasnt my issue, im running a/c delete.

For the F-body accessories, you will need to drill/tap one of teh alternator bolt holes, as the boss is rough cast, but it isnt drilled or tapped as trucks dont use it for their accessories. The truck alternator fits the camaro setup, but otherwise you need everything else (waterpump, brackets, pulleys, PS pump etc)

My setup may not be idea to everyone, as the engine sits about 3/4" further forward then the original one. The 4L60e retains my stock cross member, and since the 4L60e is a bit longer, the motor sits a bit further forward to accomodate for this (i custom made my brackets for this) the t-56 needs a custom crossmember all together so i cant help you there.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, more then willing to help.

Sheldon
Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all of the responses. Still trying to figure out which way to go. Money, time, complications and the other variables involved. My biggest issue is the engine harness and the wiring so the rest of the electrical stuff works such as the guages and other accessories. The older 5.7 would be easier, but the thought of a 5.3 LS1 just sounds so good and the horsepower out of an LS1 engine is just intoxicating, then throw the gas mileage(cruising) into it and hard not to at least try.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1987earthquake
I'm doing a 5.3 in my 87. I'm going with the 4l60e, still looking for one of those at the moment.... Also, I used the truck harness from my donor. It was all connected through the fuse box. I put the fuse box in the other battery tray where the charcoal can was. I think it was like 10 wires to hook into my car harness.... don't have a lot of pics but if u plan on doing the wiring yourself get the wiring diagrams from alldatadiy.com
I would love to see a pic of your engine bay as I'm very interested in the location of the truck fuse box, and routing of the wires! My e-mail is tamatt27@hotmail.com
I'm building a FI 6.0+T56 for my '84 Trans Am BTW.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Default 3rd gen swap

here is a pic of my 91 with 2004 lq4, ported heads , carb swap.
i used hooker motor mount adapters, trans is a th350. btw, the stock spacer and flywheel for a 4l80e trans bolt up to a th400/th350 dual bolt pattern style converter
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Camaro LS1 Swap??-my-motor.jpg   3rd Gen Camaro LS1 Swap??-motor-2.jpg   3rd Gen Camaro LS1 Swap??-trans-oil-pan.jpg  

Last edited by bowtienick; 06-11-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
Im knee deep in a '04 5.3 swap into my '89 iroc. My swap will probably be a bit different in wiring due to the fact that im going to be using the electronic throttle, 4L60e, and fabricating my own parts.

For mounts, i machined my own at school. The transmission bolts up fine.

Info in regards to the truck peices. First of all, the oil pan isnt going to work. I had the engine sitting in my car the other day and the oil pan is 2.5 - 3" below the stock k-member. Not going to work. Ill be using an f-body oil pan setup

The accessories will work aslong as your retain the truck intake and get atleast a 3" cowl. Im working Function + Form in my car, so that called for F-body accessories (paid $350 + ship for them). Then my dad bought a 2000 Trans-am Which we are parting so i scored an LS6 intake, and any other little peices i need.

I have yet to determine injectors, or even attempt to figure them out for that matter. The injectors i have are the new style. Im going to see if i can use my stock truck fuel rails + injectors on the LS6 intake, then use an LS1/2 fuel cross over seeing the truck one wont work. If that doesnt work, ill be using stock LS1 injectors, Professional products billet fuel rails + Regulator which will be a plug & play into my existing fuel hard lines.

The powersteering is easy, i used the stock thirdgen return line and the stock 4th gen feed line.

Coolant hoses, ive got a 2001 F-body upper rad hose and a 2002 Silverado 1500 lower rad hose. Isnt perfect, but hey. It works.

In regards to wiring, ive yet to finish this yet. I intend on having the engine completely electronically controlled and since the engine is a 2003+ ive got the newer, faster ECM, which is identified by the green connector.

A few other notes for the thirdgen, if your running A/C you need to knotch the k-member and use truck coils otherwise you hit the heater box, wasnt my issue, im running a/c delete.

For the F-body accessories, you will need to drill/tap one of teh alternator bolt holes, as the boss is rough cast, but it isnt drilled or tapped as trucks dont use it for their accessories. The truck alternator fits the camaro setup, but otherwise you need everything else (waterpump, brackets, pulleys, PS pump etc)

My setup may not be idea to everyone, as the engine sits about 3/4" further forward then the original one. The 4L60e retains my stock cross member, and since the 4L60e is a bit longer, the motor sits a bit further forward to accomodate for this (i custom made my brackets for this) the t-56 needs a custom crossmember all together so i cant help you there.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, more then willing to help.

Sheldon
I am very interested because I am trying to do the same to my 91 Camaro.

I was reading your post and I had some questions on your post.

I read you used the serpentine setup from an LS1.

Did you end up using the LS6 intake? (Did the intake fit on the stock LQ4 Heads?)

and also did you use the LS1/2 fuel cross over?? What about injectors?

Does the LQ4 have a double timing chain like the LS2
Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I CAN'T BELIEVE that no-one has linked to the TGO swap forum...! Start with the sticky at the top of the page, & go from there.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that sticky is not all that great and theres easier ways of doing some things than whats posted imo
Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
that sticky is not all that great and theres easier ways of doing some things than whats posted imo
I tend to agree. Most of that seems absolute basics. I found better luck in just posting specific questions to problems as you come to them or ideas you have and you get a better response. Or just PM one of the many guys who've done an LSx into a thirdgen.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, regardless of your opinion of the sticky, it does answer a lot of FAQs - and the TGO swap forum is the largest single collection for thirdgen swap data around. The OP seems to be obviously new to all of this info, & would very likely get a significant number of his questions answered there...
Old 09-24-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Well, regardless of your opinion of the sticky, it does answer a lot of FAQs - and the TGO swap forum is the largest single collection for thirdgen swap data around. The OP seems to be obviously new to all of this info, & would very likely get a significant number of his questions answered there...
yea, i guess u could call it that.
It does provide basic info, but leaves out alot and adds unnecessary.
i will try to get my swap version stickied here since ive done both carb and efi ls 3rd gens.
and working on my 3rd.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

I'll be working on an LS1/4L60E over the next few months and have been reading as much as possible over here and on thirdgen. Very good info on both sides.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blk91rs
I am very interested because I am trying to do the same to my 91 Camaro.

I was reading your post and I had some questions on your post.

I read you used the serpentine setup from an LS1.

Did you end up using the LS6 intake? (Did the intake fit on the stock LQ4 Heads?)

Yep, i used a LS6 intake. Intake fits on all Gen3 cathedral port heads.

and also did you use the LS1/2 fuel cross over?? What about injectors?
I use a LS1 fuel rail, with LS1 EV1 injectors.

Does the LQ4 have a double timing chain like the LS2
No, neither have double timing chains. LS2 has a chain with thicker links, but its not a double.
See in quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Hey, I am planning on putting an LS1 in my next 92 an I am wondering if anyone knows of a website that has a roll cage that still lets me have my t-tops?

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Camaro LS1 Swap??