TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

any updates.?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
any updates.?
Made little or no progress on project from 06/2008 to 11/2008. It seems I'm fill in work for shop doing work. They only work on my car when they don't have a 32 Ford Street Rod to build for a customer or need to have a couple built to show and/or sale at Street Rod meets.

Finally got them to bond new front end on and prep body for painting 11/2008-02/2009. Then it took until 04/09 to get it painted. Made a little progress in May with wiring, partial dash install and sound proofing/heat shielding.

Using information provide by Rsz288, transmission pan has been changed to Pontiac G8 pan, G8 transmission vent components and cooling lines installed.

6L80E internal Trans controller reprogramed with C6 Vette shift program to allow TU/TD shifting using G8 shifter modified by Speartech to accomplish that.

Has been sitting since. Shop plans to go back to work on it after labor day.

Here are some pics I took since my last post.

Final mod to transmission cross-member to run oval 3.0" exhaust thru to get more ground clearance.

Body prep and waiting to be painted.

Body painted, Second Skin Damperfier Pro Heat and sound shielding installed and dash installation started.

Last edited by poorhousenext; 08-23-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice project! Not sure why I didn't review this thread earlier...I would have saved you a lot of pain by suggesting to use spacers under your body mounts to raise the body 3/4" to save you the grief of the trans interferene. I would also concur on the use of ovalized pipe for best exhaust clearance without sacrificing exhaust diameter.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
Made little or no progress on project from 06/2008 to 11/2008. It seems I'm fill in work for shop doing work. They only work on my car when they don't have a 32 Ford Street Rod to build for a customer or need to have a couple built to show and/or sale at Street Rod meets.

Finally got them to bond new front end on and prep body for painting 11/2008-02/2009. Then it took until 04/09 to get it painted. Made a little progress in May with wiring, partial dash install and sound proofing/heat shielding.

Using information provide by Rsz288, transmission pan has been changed to Pontiac G8 pan, G8 transmission vent components and cooling lines installed.

6L80E internal Trans controller reprogramed with C6 Vette shift program to allow TU/TD shifting using G8 shifter modified by Speartech to accomplish that.

Has been sitting since. Shop plans to go back to work on it after labor day.
Progress may not be at blinding speed, but the result is looking excellent! A very high quality build!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John B
Nice project! Not sure why I didn't review this thread earlier...I would have saved you a lot of pain by suggesting to use spacers under your body mounts to raise the body 3/4" to save you the grief of the trans interferene. I would also concur on the use of ovalized pipe for best exhaust clearance without sacrificing exhaust diameter.
I did that on my 65 Corvette, but that solution is not without problems either. The bumpers are mounted to the frame, and have to be all custom fabricated to align properly with the body. I raised mine only 1/2", but still had to section and re-weld all the bumper brackets!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

nice build!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by John B
Always open to suggestions that make dealing with problems easier.

Cutting and repairing the tunnel to fit the trans was not that big of a deal.

Most of the grief was making console to deal with the G8 shifter's heigth, and that may not be that big of deal, as it makes adding armrest easier due to it's heigth.

My guess is dealing with bumper mounts would have cost me more money. Shop has played with the front bumpers enough as is.

Then there is fender well to tire fittment. I would like to get 1.0" of tire up inside the fender well. That will be hard to set ride height to do that as is.

Thanks Nova guy and Rsz228 for the praise.

Also like to say John Mc was a big help to me when I was trying to get project going.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Jere,

I know Exactly what you are going through! I spent all last weekend cutting out the floor on a Chevelle wagon making the 6 speed fit. I am using the G8 shifter as well. I got the entire drivetrain from a 09 G8 with only 1800 miles on it.

This car is going to be my highway car for going to swap meets and the Hot Rod Power Tour. I like the Corvette, but the lack of cargo room just kills it on a long trip. Here is a pic of the new trans tunnel:

http://www.villagephotos.com/utils/i...3\IMG_0305.JPG

I am bagging the car, so I had to raise the tunnel all the way to the back seat, but I am going to build a console over it the the entire length.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-29-2009, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Jere,

I know Exactly what you are going through! I spent all last weekend cutting out the floor on a Chevelle wagon making the 6 speed fit. I am using the G8 shifter as well. I got the entire drivetrain from a 09 G8 with only 1800 miles on it.

This car is going to be my highway car for going to swap meets and the Hot Rod Power Tour. I like the Corvette, but the lack of cargo room just kills it on a long trip. Here is a pic of the new trans tunnel:

http://www.villagephotos.com/utils/i...3\IMG_0305.JPG

I am bagging the car, so I had to raise the tunnel all the way to the back seat, but I am going to build a console over it the the entire length.

Regards, John McGraw

John,

Use to seeing your fiberglass work, but see metal work is not a problem for you either. Tunnel is looking good.

Are you going to use G8 Body Control Module and stay with the stock G8 shift control program, or have it reprogramed to Corvette shift program?

What rear end ratio are you going to use?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

I am sticking with the G8 program. Probably will go with 3.08 rear gears. I would like something shallower, but I think 3.08 is the lowest numerical gears made for a 12 bolt.It is really intended as a highway cruiser, but the 3.08 gears should still be plenty deep with the ridiculously deep first gear on the 6L80E trans.
I am not tubbing the car, so 285 tires are the biggest tire that will fit in the rear. It should still surprise more than a few people at stoplights!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-30-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

I am sticking with the G8 program. Probably will go with 3.08 rear gears. I would like something shallower, but I think 3.08 is the lowest numerical gears made for a 12 bolt.It is really intended as a highway cruiser, but the 3.08 gears should still be plenty deep with the ridiculously deep first gear on the 6L80E trans.
I am not tubbing the car, so 285 tires are the biggest tire that will fit in the rear. It should still surprise more than a few people at stoplights!

Regards, John McGraw
FYI the 12 bolt goes right down to 2.73 & 2.56's. Though would guess that these are rather rare. With 2.73's being fed by the A6 4.03 first, its like having 5.0's behind a 2.2 first or 4.56's behind a 2.56 first. I can vouch for rapid transit! .
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

I will keep looking, but have not found anything shallower than 3.08 from any of the major gear suppliers. 2.73 gears would fill the bill nicely!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

I will keep looking, but have not found anything shallower than 3.08 from any of the major gear suppliers. 2.73 gears would fill the bill nicely!

Regards, John McGraw
You're right there John. Anything lower than 3.08 is hard to find, except in 40 year old axles, that said there have been a lot of 2.73's etc removed from cars to go with 3.5+.

Also the Posi centre is slightly different on the 2.73's due to flange thickness and ring gear dimensions. Hard to find! No aftermarket posi/LSD/lockers etc.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

John,

Not sure what cruise RPM your looking for at 70 MPH.

Lets say your looking for rear end ratio that will allow you to cruise at 1800 RPM at 70 MPH.

Since gas mileage is effected by coefficient of drag and like most old cars, the Chevelle wagon probably has a drag coefficient of a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood in a hurricane, the 3.07s might be a better choice to help the engine overcome cars drag and weight if it weighs more than 3200 LBS.

Since your are limited to a 285 tire, lets say your going to run 17" wheels on front rear go with 18" wheels.

Looking at NITTO 555 285 X 18 that have a dia of 26.97", you could probably get close to 1800 RPM at 70 MPH with them, and if you could fine another 1/8" for their 295" X 18" it has a dia of 28.31" so getting RPM down to 1800 or less shouldn't be a problem.

Since your going to be the Hot Rod Power Tour, either would give the Long Car a ready to race look too with the small front, tall rears.

Here are some pics I took of 64 project car with a set of loner wheels and tires from a 69 Camaro to see how car would look, stance wise. The rears are 295 x 18.

Last edited by poorhousenext; 09-01-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Teching In

oh man i want this to be done, just so i can see it!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Jere, thumbs up to you for having the desire to carry on the 6l80 conversion, I have followed some of your posts and also John McGraws on another forum. You guys make it easier with the threads and pictures to give some of us other options.
Thanks again.
R.J. (Beach Dude)
Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

those 18's look horrible. sorry
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SatisTraction
those 18's look horrible. sorry
Which 18"s, C6 ones on the 66 vert, or the unknown brand borrowed from Camaro on the 64 Coup?

The borrowed ones on the Coup, I have to agree with you. But at least nobody will be stealing them.

The Coup will be getting the ones in rendering below. They just want have that much hoop showing.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

i was refering to the coupe but neither look right. the tire is just TOO big and it messes the whole look of the car up. you will either have a 4x4 car or 1/3 of the tire/ rim tucked in the fender well. that is just my opinion and i know what they say about opinions
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SatisTraction
i was refering to the coupe but neither look right. the tire is just TOO big and it messes the whole look of the car up. you will either have a 4x4 car or 1/3 of the tire/ rim tucked in the fender well. that is just my opinion and i know what they say about opinions
StatisTraction,

No problem with your opinion. It's mild comparied to what I and others get on Corvette Forum(s) for using C6 Vette wheels on a C2 even when about the only thing used from the C2 is the body, because the rest of the major components have been swapped out for more modern components.

Both of my projects are restomods with the objective of making them into Pro Touring class cars.

When I put the base 66 chassis package together, the one thing I knew I didn't want was period correct wheels on it. Why would you put period correct wheels on a Restomod. They are what you put on a new car for Retro look or old car for Period Correct look.

The 66 vert is a "Z06" wannabe with auto tranmission. It has ZO6 LS7 engine. Base 6L80E 6 speed Trans uses C6 shift program. Frt and rear suspension is C4 vette. Brakes are C4 Grand Sport. Seats are Z06 take outs. The wheels follow the same Z06 theme as they are knockoff of 2008 Z06 wheels.

When it came to the 64 coupe, I took the oppsite approach to it, so that's why I can understand your view on use of large wheels tires on rear.

Now larger/taller wheels & tires are period correct for what was used on cars that were road and dragged raced.

While they may look wrong to you, they do not to me. By the way, those Camaro Wheels are knockoffs of Anson Sprint Wheels, that were knockoffs of Halibrand Sprint wheels, just had the lip around the openings machined off.

Since my theme for it was to lool like it was sort of ready to race. The wheels I choose are knockoffs of the Halibrand Sprint wheels that replaced his Kidney Bean style starting in 63 (see below Quoted Thread). Choose the Knockoff wheel cap option to try and add more of race look to them.

The rear fenders will be stretched to fit but not stretched as much as this C2 road race car in below picture. You can see it has larger/taller rear wheels than came stock. In the picture below it, you can see that 1965 C2 Grand Sport race car has large/tall tires on it and if you look close at Frt wheel, you can see one of the knock off arms sticking out. Below that is reproduction of the Grand Sports and the owner used AR TT wheels with again, larger/taller wheel & Tire.

Click on link for picture of 2 65 GS vettes off loaded in Bahama's to be raced against the Cobra's
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a...9&d=1251738034

Here is copy of thread I posted on a vette site about what wheels would/should you used on a car based on it primary theme. Seems Hot Rodders have the same idea as to what is correct and wrong tires and wheels wise and they can keep what you may think is/was correct for a Hot rod out in the cold with them.

Just reading "New(?) wheels on my Vette" thread and that term "Period Correct" came up.

Are the fronts period correct for C2 vette street or strip car?

While at 1st I thought they were and rears weren't, after doing a little research I'd have to say the rears are Period correct while the fronts aren't IMHO, from what I remember about aftermarket wheels on street cars. I'd call them a mismatch of two periods.

Now the C2 in questions has B/MP on side of it, which would mean car was used for drag racing or a Pro Street look car. By 60s most of the street cars with after market wheels where using American/Western style Mag wheels which my memory seems to be backed up by second article about what wheels and tires you should use on Retro rods.

They are knockoff Halibrand Sprint style mag wheels that first appeared in mid 40's.

Part of Hemmings News Story

Sand-cast, and usually alloyed with aluminum and zinc, the first Halibrand magnesium wheels appeared in 1946, initially offered to customers in 18-inch diameters for championship race cars. Halibrands would be mounted on the car that won the 1946 Indianapolis 500, the Thorne Engineering Special driven by George Robson, and on every succeeding winner though 1963. Until the Halibrand's widespread adoption, the nearly universal wheel at Indy was a comparatively weak double-laced steel wire rim. The most immediately recognizable Halibrand wheel was the Sprint, known vernacularly as the "Big Window" wheel for the large, kidney-shaped cooling slots in between its structural ribs. Halibrand would also make major inroads as a wheel supplier for hot rodders, in drag racing and on the Bonneville Salt Flats, where its near-indestructibility and relative lack of mass made it all but mandatory. They were also specified for the original Shelby Cobras, the Ford GT-40, and numerous Can-Am sports racers. Briggs Cunningham used Halibrands almost exclusively on his Le Mans racers.

Article from Hot Rods website.

Whatever era of car you're building, once you have picked a theme for it, it's important to stay within that time frame. For example, a '50s car would have had a generator, not an alternator. To do it right, you're going to have to use bias-ply tires instead of radials. If you're building a car with a '50s or '60s (or even a '70s) theme, you'll want to avoid using parts like small block Chevy center-bolt valve covers, or any other parts that weren't available at the time. Hence the term "period correct". It's easy to miss the point in the eyes of purists. You have to stay with the theme.

More than any other parts on a hot rod, it's the wheels that set the theme for the car. Here's a brief overview of some of the wheels that have been popular on hot rods over the years.

Going all the way back to the birth of hot rodding and oval track racing in the 1920s, most hot rods were early Fords that used early Ford steel wheels that were stock or modified. By the early '50s, Ted Halibrand's magnesium wheels became the standard choice on Indy cars, sprint cars, and midget racers. Some, but not many, of his wheels were also run on the street. Chrome steel wheels and spun aluminum Moon discs were introduced later in the 1950s.

In the early '60s, the magnesium Halibrand Sprint provided the inspiration for the aluminum Ansen Sprint, which looked similar to the magnesium Halibrand but with a fully-machined face that eliminated the raised lips around the slots. The early '60s also saw the introduction of the aluminum American Racing Torq-Thrust five-spoke, and the Cragar S/S composite steel and aluminum five-spoke. In the mid-'60s, these were followed by the American Racing Torq-Thrust "D" for new '65 Corvettes with disc brakes. The late '60s saw the introduction of the E-T III.

Picture of some of the racing and street wheels of the 60s can be seen on url below, along with wheel history.

http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/

While doing research I also ran into Hot Rod vs Street Rod. Brought to mind the battle I see on this site about not using "Period Correct wheels" on some of the Resto-Rods built by members here.

Should a Resto-Rod build to either a Pro-Street or Pro-Touring style even think about using them?

While Pro-Street car to me is trying to maintain RETRO LOOK with it's body mods and engine/drivetrain mods RETRO style racing wheels can add to that look but so can some of the new style wheels.

When it comes to a Pro-Touring Resto-Mod car I'm more at odds with using Retro style wheels even if the car in question is a Mid Year vette that will have few if any body mods done to it, but the chassis/drive train can be totally upgraded.

Along with the chassis.drivetrain upgrades why do some think that you just have to use period correct wheels? Why are late model style wheels put down as taking away from the look of a C2 or even a C1 Restodrive-traindrive train-mod. Resto means upgraded to more modern standards, so why shouldn't the wheels be changed to match?

I can tell you this, if I walk up on a bunch of C2 vettes the ones I'm drawn to first are the ones that don't have "Period correct Wheels". If I can see that they have big brake rotors due to wheel design, I'm going over to check it out to see what else the owner may have done to it. But I'm also the type that would walk by a big block C2 if I saw a SB C2 with Fuelie emblems on the fenders.

I'm a beliver in do/use what you like and the effect/look you want to achieve.

A Resto-Rod Vette to me is like the definition of a Street Rod build vs a Hot Rod, built to try and achieve Original or Retro Look.

This would be a Resto redesign of a Original Halibrand Kidney Bean wheel to me.

Would it pass for you purist as close enough for the coveted "Period Correct Look" for a Resto-mod Pro Touring build? I'm trying to try and please all on this build
:*****:

Below is rendering of 64 with Billet Specilaties Bonneville Halibrand kidney bean style wheels that were call period correct for comparison.

Quick Reply: 1966 Corvette LS7/ 6L80E / Project