Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just your average Ls1/T56 stripped RX7 With Plans of Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after 9 months of Inactivity the swap is commencing again.

I needed help with the wiring and I found it at the local autozone. I have kinda gotten to know some of the guys there and they know about the project. Obviously I've taken my fair trips there as they are the local auto parts store. One of the guys has been there years and has a surprising variety of skills including being adept at wiring, and welding, as well as generally pretty good at about anything automotive.

We started in on the fuel system, hooked up the lines, fuel pump, corvette fpr/filter, I still need some AN fittings to go from the 8an fuel cell down to the 5/16 hose I am running.

The big issue we are starting to tackle though is the wiring, which is mainly why I brought him into the project. We spent the day just tearing out the chassis harness wiring and cleaning it up. The last guy had really been throughout the car messing with everything on it. A lot of the connections werent soldered well.. some looked a little extra crispy. So this guy went through and really cleaned all of that up, soldered it nicely, and basically made sure all his connections were 100% so that if we run into problems down the line we know it wont be because of a bad connection somewhere in the dash.

Right now as the car sits the chassis harness gets power when I turn the key, the cabin lights work, the headlights work ect, but when I crank it I get nothing at all. I know the last guy was running a carbed sbc and danzan told me he probably removed the main relay but told me to run a wire from the start position to the starter. We found the start position on the ignition and ran the wire, but the guy I am working with said he wanted to do some more research and look at the ls1 harness pinouts/ Rx7 pinouts first before hooking anything up to make sure we dont fry anything.
(I could use some suggestions on this)

He has some pretty cool ideas for the car as well, things I didnt even think about so we'll see how it comes out. He has been very thorough though, taking free time to research this swap in his free time. We are meeting up every wednesday to work on the car. Goal is to get it on registered and on the road by the start of summer. Thus far I cant say how happy I am that I didnt bring it to a shop to do the wiring. This way I'm learning a lot and we are doing the wiring for not only the basics, but also the radio, the nitrous kit, everything.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

update: got the starter crankin and power to the fuel pump today.

Also using a scissor jack I fixed the firewall/tranny tunnel so that the gas pedal has enough room to go WOT, where as before I could only depress the gas about 10-15% throttle. Also went through the car and tightened a lot of bolts that were just finger tight.

Did a lot more work also on cleaning up the wiring, which is still the main issue right now, in the future though I see myself having serious continuing issues with fitting the BBK 1 3/4 headers on the drivers side. They are either so close to the engine that that bellhousing of the tranny hits one of the primaries or they hit the frame rail down by where the fuel hard lines feed into the engine bay.
11 Second Club

Time for my weekly wednesday update

So today I got to put about 6 hours into the car. I got to do a few things, and every week the car comes to life further. Today my buddy was working on wiring as usual and I was working on everything else. He was checking all the grounds, and grounding wires that hadent been grounded properly, as he did more and more items in the car came to life. We already had power to the chassis and the interior lights/headlights worked, but today we got power to the marker/corner lights/blinkers and THE RADIO. When we fired up the radio and it worked I have to say I got pretty excited. I dont know why, but it felt like more of a step forward than the starter spinning.

I also finally got the rear brakes assembled, wrapped the clutch line in heat tape, as well as the fuel line, up to the fuel rail. I finally got 2 radiator hoses and a metal tube and made a lower radiator hose that works, as well as mocking up the headers (they MAY work but I'm still not sure) and the cold air intake I got from BlackSi, looks like it will fit snug as well.

This car hardware wise is basically ready to roll, other than the headers, its just the wiring really thats holding me up now.

I want to get the car running on the road by June first but more realistically I would say it should really be driving by 4th of July, or maybe I could get it running for my birthday June 26th. That would be nice! This whole journey has been going on for close to 2 years, with the last 9 months of zero progress.
11 Second Club

Nice!

Tomorrow I am going to check out these rims

If all looks good I'll pick them up

17 Inch Ford Mustang Five Spoke Magnesium Wheels

Looks to be a pretty good deal
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Picked up the rims and they look great, and have some free tires that will be perfect for the burnout videos.

Got some goodies in the mail today.

These, with my stock gauge cluster should be enough to get me going. I should be getting the fuel level sender in the mail in the next couple days. I will be modifying it to work with my fuel cell so I know how much gas I have left like any other tank.

The next step is getting this car running. Mechanically the car is set to go all I need to do is hook up the fuel system, which has been sorted out and mocked up several times. And either make my poorboy longtubes work or buy some JTRs. The only thing really hangin me up still is the wiring. I PM'd Dan about it though and I am looking forward to working on it this weekend. Hopefully with his advice we may get it to crank over ever if its for a second with the headers off.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

So I loaded her on a trailer today to bring to my buddies garage so he can finnish the wiring.. This is the first time I've seen the car on the ground in a long time. For over a year and a half its been sitting on jack stands and I forgot how LOW this car is and how little it looks.

It looks sick with the mustang rims. Its gonna be tough fitting 255s up front. But the stock 245/45/17 tires fit on the car at least for the purpose of rolling it around

Car should be running before the end of the month, and driving shortly after

I am getting really excited
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great. Keep up the good work bro
Old 06-05-2008, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

awesome project....

so...about that hood ?

Chad
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
awesome project....

so...about that hood ?

Chad
I dont know if I'll be shipping the hood. Its pretty delicate. I am starting the process though of parting the car out. I made a thead about a year back and got tons of interest only to become too busy to sell anything off. I'm still busy but this time I would deff like to move some stuff
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

Default She Fired UP tonight!

Whooo Yahh!

LS1 Rx7 Fire up Pictures, LS1 Rx7 Fire up Images, LS1 Rx7 Fire up Photos, LS1 Rx7 Fire up Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
(If it says "video not found" just hit pause and then play again and it will show up)

Now to get her on the road, still lots of work left but she fired pretty easy on starter fluid.

Last edited by sciff5; 07-24-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Awsome man.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

sweet build
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

thanks guys I hope to have som vids of it running soon. I got the rest of the exhaust in the mail today.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

where did you buy the foam?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 04600rr
where did you buy the foam?
http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

You can get any density there
Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Very nice man!! I'm doing something very similar to you! Im doing an L92 and a t56..I'm gonna check out the foam too .Does it add any weight? My buddy has an ls1 fc too, and he used the foam on the inside of the car, behind the seats where the bins used to be.

here is a pic of my progress.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

It does add weight depending on density like 2lb per cubic foot foam adds 2lbs of weight every cubic foot you put into the car. A cubic foot btw goes a good ways. You can see from the link that they have densities from 2-16lbs per cubic foot. The 16lb stuff is a little too expensive for my blood but I used a mix of 16 and 8 in the rear subframe.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

First run today ever with open headers and no brakes and 9am in the morning. So had to keep it real short

http://www.race2ube.com/view_video.p...462934977ccad9

Sounds AWSOME though. Its a damn shame I cant keep it this way
Old 10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Got the car runnin on Open headers a few days ago sounds mean but loud even by my standards

http://www.race2ube.com/view_video.p...e=&category=mr

Well I Got the exhaust on today and some initial clips of me revving the exhaust. Looking back on it I should have let it idle more between revs, but its positivly quiet now in comparison to before.. Its almost too quiet now that I was getting used to the open headers.

http://www.race2ube.com/view_video.p...3f76e8ee7e5565

Sound is distorted because I think my buddy was too close to the car but as he moves farther away towards the end and as I start really revving it up.. you get more of a real feel for the sound.

Honestly this was the goal for my car in terms of exhaust note, and in person my car actually sounds pretty close.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/t...-ory_31669.htm

Quick Reply: Just your average Ls1/T56 stripped RX7 With Plans of Racing