Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot August Nights!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I had the car to run high 12s on that track, but I just didn't have the seat time to do it yet. 111 is a 12 second trap speed. I was headed to a better pass in my second run, but the bump cost me big time. My trap speed was only off by about 1 mph in spite of having to let off at 1/2 track. It'll be interesting to see what the car runs down here at 1200 ft in Phoenix.

I'm impressed with Pat's car, too. Those are pretty solid times for what basically amounts to a stock LS1 with a reasonably tight converter. I have no idea what that car weighs, though.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appeared neither of you really launched hard and only floored it after a short roll out from the lights. Was that the case? It appears that way anyhow. Or did you both full throttle out of the hole?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rolled into the throttle from about 1200 RPM and that got it moving pretty well. Like Chris said with a little more practice I think I could do better. Chris the fact that you trapped almost 20 MPH faster than I did shows how much power you are making. That car flies. The othere video of you running down that WRX shows it too.

My car weighed 3440 on a moving company truck scale, then add about 50 pounds of junk in the trunk and another 180 for me and it was about 3700. I have a 2800 rpm stall converter and it seems to be about as much as my tires will take. Once I tweek a few things, like the shifter that let my trans pop out of high gear and some sort of cold air intake, I hope I can get them to let me run it down at Sacramento. All in all for a car I drove to the track and ran through mufflers on street tires (wide whitewalls and all!) I am pretty pleased.

Pat
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Needs to finish car

I was being pretty easy out of the hole, since I had no idea how much power the track would hold. Ever since the time I took the car up to about 20 mph holding it in 1st and just punched it, I've been a bit leery of what the car could do. The rear went pretty hard to the left and the engine hit the rev limiter faster than I could get out of the gas. I have it all logged on HPTuners, and the whole episode took less than 1 second.

Something tells me it's not the sort of car that you can do 5000 rpm clutch dumps with. Until I can get a better feel for the car, I'm not going to set any 60' records. I slipped the clutch a little and rolled in to the throttle. The car bogged a little on that pass, too.

Pat, it sounds like your car weighs just a touch more than an F-body, but probably doesn't have as sticky of a tire on it. Wide whites aren't exactly high performance tires. The rear suspension probably isn't as good, either. I imagine there aren't to many other '53 Studebakers that can run 13's and drive to and from the track with the A/C on.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

For you guys that ran at Fernley, plan on dropping any where from 1 to 1 1/2 seconds when you go down to see level. Our other track out here is in Fallon and its the same elevation, but level. We generally see between 6-8 tenths quicker at that track than at Fernley. So congrats on those times. The Camaro should be able to do an 11.xx easy at sea level, with some better tires, and possably a high 12 for the Studebaker, with tires also.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Teching In

hey guys, nice seeing you there. I ended up heading to south dakota after HAN for a little more vacation so I had no internet.

I would have went to the track on friday if i would have known you guys went. I went on saturday and ran 14.0's all night people there loved it...lol can ran perfect all weekend minus the thermostat sticking on thursday. No big deal. I put probably 600-700 miles on it it for the week and it was the first time going anywhere so needless to say I was happy.

nice cars guys!

Stu, do you live in marysville?
Old 08-16-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I knew that little Falcon could cook! I am actually just South of Marysville in Olivehurst, and though not that many people know where Marysville is, even fewer know Olivehurst. Was great to meet you on Thursday, you are in Sacramento area right?

Pat
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat, Some great shots of your poker run cruise.. Here is one of mines..

If I knew it was going to turn out like it did, I would have spent more time in getting it perfect.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Brian. Chris442 took those shots, he and his dad are great with a camera. Yours really came out nice too, I love the neon lights!

Pat
Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Needs to finish car

Nice shot, Brian, I always liked the two tone look on your car. Nice sig pic, Pat; do I get royalties now?

After working a couple of months solid to get the Camaro done in time for our big trip, we haven't even touched the car since we've been back. It's still dirty in the garage. I guess after working on the thing for so long it was time for a bit of a break from car stuff. It's also like a million degrees out in the garage right now.

I really should thank Pat, too. Our alternator decided to go south on Saturday night. Pat was nice enough to come out Sunday morning, led us his tools and run me to the Kragen. He sure saved us a lot of trouble. We owe you one next year, Pat.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem Chris, was kinda fun watching you work. I'm almost always agreeable to a ! Maybe next year we can have a chance to park somewhere, get the chairs out and solve the problems of the LSx world over a cold libation. I had to clean ours up for a car club meeting last week-end, and now need to dust it off again to join some other Studebaker dudes to display our cars at the CA State Fair on Friday. Coming home from HAN my odometer went past 19,000 miles. That's since the car was finished the first time. It had 7,000 on it when we got it in 2003 and 11.5 when I did the LS1 swap beginning in Nov 2005. So it is definitely getting some road time, as it should.

As for the sig pic, send me your address and I will forward the royalties as soon as my payments start coming in! I also have some most excellent plans for the one you took on Virginia st, but you will have to wait to see that.

Pat
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok. everyone from last year.... We have a new thread for this year..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...st-nights.html

Quick Reply: Hot August Nights!