Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frojoe
Hmm the ATS pan is really nice but still requires an external oil filter.

Other than that I don't know that much about 1st gen swap-friendly pans.

The stock pan that would require the least amount of mod'ing would probably be a notched f-body pan.

... but it's best to read the huge oil pan-comparo threads, I was kind of stubborn and just went right to mod'ing what I already had!

btw strtlegal... SICK nova you've got there!!!
The Autocraft pan is very simular to the ATS one and it doesn't use a remote filter.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, i picked up an lq4 and 4l80e this weekend, so i may be going the auto route. i'll probably sell the 80 and pickup a 60, but i'd still much rather go the t56 route.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
well, i picked up an lq4 and 4l80e this weekend, so i may be going the auto route. i'll probably sell the 80 and pickup a 60, but i'd still much rather go the t56 route.
If you're looking for a built 4L60E, talk to Sean at TopGear Motorsports, www.topgearms.com
Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, so after a long lull, mainly because of school, I have a couple updates!!

First thing is an update of the braking/steering system, I've decided manual 4-wheel drum brakes just aren't gonna cut it, so until I have enough money to do some disk swap, I'm just gonna throw a booster on there. Also, I can turn my car with the flick of a pink no matter what speed I'm going, talk about no road feel!!

I found a Hydroboost from an '06 Colorado for $100 at a local truck junker. I'm gonna combine that with a Heidt's power steering adjuster valve so that I can fine-tune the feel of the steering wheel.

I also had a new line made for the high-pressure side, it cost total under $20, which sure beats buying $18 3ft of Russell braided PS line, and $13 for each of the Russell PS fittings not to mention having to make it myself!!

This is a horribly-taken pic of the new steering line setup with the Hyrdoboost..

The Hydroboost unit itself...

Went to a local hydraulics place and had myself a new hi-pressure line made...

The line uses 37* JIC female fittings, which were $5 each, and $7 for 3.5ft of 4500psi 3/8" hose. Fittings look like...

Attached Thumbnails LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150004.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150008.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150009.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150029.jpg  
Old 12-19-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

And next was a revision of the fuel system. I've mentioned the general idea of it previously in this thread, but here is another description...

Fuel gets sucked out of stock tank with stock fuel sender, so that I don't have to modify the tank or shell out $$$ for a stainless one. However, this poses a problem 'cuz the fuel sloshes around a lot, and we don't want that beautiful LS engine to get starved.

So, I have a low-pressure (carb) electrical fuel pump suck gas out of the stock tank, and pumps it to the front of the car. This gas gets dumped into a skinny but tall fuel "surge" type tank with an outlet at the bottom of it. Now assuming the tank is not even half-full, in order to starve the outlet at the bottom, the car would have to be doing way over 1g laterally, or be upside down (), so this should be plenty fine. A Walbro 255 pump feeds off the bottom, and pumps into a Corvette FPR, which has a return going back to the fuel surge tank. The surge tank has another outlet, a fuel return going back to the stock car gas tank.

Crappy pic of setup...

Aforementioned fuel "surge" tank...

Walbro fuel pump & Corvette FPR from previous setup...

Pretty, pretty, fittings...

Resulting tank setup...

last but not least, this picture was too cute not to include..
Attached Thumbnails LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150011.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150014.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150030.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb160049.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb160051.jpg  

LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-pb150015.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

That thing looks sick!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Teching In

An LH8 pan is the one that comes in the Hummers, I believe.

Which pan are you unsure of drag link clearance issues, the LH8 one? It should have plenty of room, because it's sump is 8.5" long as opposed to the truck one with is 9.75" long, and the truck one clears my steering even though my engine is moved forward approx. 1 inch.

ATS motor mounts are really nice billet peices (for $140)..

and S&P/Carshop ones are identical, but much more inexpensive!...

All 3 of those put the engine in the same place. I believe the Hooker ones put it forward a little bit more..
hey joe,
i don't know if you remember or not but i sent you a pm a while ago about your swap, since i'm doing a similar swap on my nova. i'm getting ready to order parts for the swap at least what i need to bolt it in anyway... so my question is about the mounts, you said that the ones you used moved the engine forward about an inch.. and that the hooker mounts were going to move it even further up?... i seen another topic and they were saying that the hookers set the engine the furthest back and the edelbrocks were close to that.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...edelbrock.html so do you know who is right?... and isn't the engine better off closer to the firewall for clearance and weight distubution?.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks again.

david.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Teching In

looks good Joe, are you up and driving again? ill be watching for you out at MRP, you must be curious as to what it will run.

good to know about the mount location and pan height. i think ill try to mount my eng in stk location so i dont have to mess with the driveshaft. while i cant afford to finish my bbc, ill try out this lq4 i have here in my 69 acadian.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

hi GIZZ, cool to see another west-coaster on these forums, good luck with putting the lq4 in the '69! I'll definitely try to make it out but it likely won't be till well into summer, when i'll be returning to vancouver to get a summer job and thus actually have time to work on it.

Mine has a '69 Acadian dash, but at some point in it's life all the emblems on the outside got shaved, and the vin declares it as a Nova, but the stamped ID tag on the driver's side of the firewall has a different configuration than what the internet says a Nova's tag should look like, so I can't decipher it/have no idea if mine is american or canadian. do you have much expertise when it comes to acadians?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Teching In

stuff gets swapped around for sure, my old 63 acadian had a full nova ss interior swap as far as i could tell. this is my 3rd nova/acadian but im no expert, i guess you saw this already? http://www.novaresource.org/c72.htm

i just ran out and checked my '69 tag, it breaks down exactly like the link. it looks like it was assembled in michigan. i dont think this tag will tell you where it was orig sold, i suppose you could call these guys http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/shopping/parts/vintage or check your regi, icbc sometimes lists if its an import or not, on all the newer stuff at least.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Teching In

frojoe,
Do you have any close ups of the motor sitting on the mounts. You say you "flipped" them, but I am not sure what you flipped and would like a visual. I am in the process of putting a LQ4 in my '72 Nova so this thread is a wealth of knowledge. I am really looking to keep the truck intake because I already have it and they breath well.

Second question. What is the depth of your truck oil pan at the front of the engine. I can see you modified it and wondered if a F-body pan would be shallow enough to clear.

Your car looks kick *** and this thread is a life saver...
Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this oil pan issue on my camaro swap. Check out my thread for the details, but the bottom line is the f body ls1 pan worked the best. (for me anyway)
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

just put my autokraft in...works very nice!, small sump, baffled and notched for tie rods and you can use the factory oil filter spot
Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

mikem77...

I would have used an f-body pan but to be honest I was too cheap to find/buy/ship one!! Modifying the truck one only cost me an 18pack, how can I complain? Well I can, I wished it was just a bit shallower (providing more ground clearance).

To answer your question, if you look at the SBC short&wide engine mounts...

..the horizontal hole on them is closer to the top hole than it is the bottom two holes (at least they are on my autoparts store/OE replacement mounts, maybe they're just cheap) so in order to get the horizontal hole on the engine mount to line up with the horizontal hole on the frame-side mount, I had to flip the adapter plates and switch sides, so that the driver's side looks like this...

...as opposed to what the driver's side is supposed to look like, this...

Make sense? I think I might have some pics on my home computer, I'll check when I get home later tonight.
Attached Thumbnails LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-plate.jpg   LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-plate2.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by strtlegal
just put my autokraft in...works very nice!, small sump, baffled and notched for tie rods and you can use the factory oil filter spot
How much was yours with shipping if you don't mind me asking?

I'm thinking I might switch to an F-body or autokraft pan in my attempt to beef up the oiling system now that I'm considering turbo'ing it.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

i got pan and mounts for $500.00 shipped, before i decided on an autokraft, i called S&P to see what there moddied f-body pan was...holy crap if you dont have a core to send back it ended up being almost $600.00 for just the pan...this pan is sweet, and it actually brakes up the motor a little bit, gives it that race car kind of feal...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea that cost is really what has been holding me back from an aftermarket pan like that, but I'm sure it's really sweet.

Oh and by the way strlegal I've said it before but... SLICK ride man!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

If you're going to use a rad cap for fuel make sure it can take it without the rubber going weird.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Frojoe,

Thanks now it makes sense. I will need to pick up a set of the short & wide mounts but that shouldn't be hard. Do the short and wide mounts use different mounts on the frame?

It looks like the mounts available from Autokraft are set up exactly as you are showing.
Here is a picture.

I am still undetermined on the oil pan route, but if I get the Autokraft mounts I will probably just get their pan and pickup too.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Yea that cost is really what has been holding me back from an aftermarket pan like that, but I'm sure it's really sweet.

Oh and by the way strlegal I've said it before but... SLICK ride man!!
I can totally understand the money thing...and thanks for the props on the ride...caint wait to drive it..

Quick Reply: LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova