Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Vert musicians?? 4x12 cab???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vert musicians?? 4x12 cab???

Basically.... I have a 98 T/A T-top car now. My slant 4x12 BARELY fits in there with enough room for guitar (very large case for a 6string), head and 1 passenger. And the cab has metal corners, threatening to smash through the rear glass at every takeoff.

I LOVE verts and am thinking of selling/parting my car to fund buying one. But, that is my "standard" of cargo, if you will. I should be able to show up at a show, in my trans am, with a stage ready rig.

So I'm looking for input from the guys who have verts, who move any kind of cargo load with the car....what's your experience? Can it be done? Can you do this with the top up?

Convince me to change out T-tops for one that I don't have to get out of my seat to lower!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The trunk in a convertible is puny. Certainly no bigger than in a t top car.

Try folding down the back seat - if your gear fits in there, it should also fit in a convertible.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 AM
11 Second Club

buy a truck, LOL
Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Do either of you guys play? I'm asking genuinely, not trying to be a smartass - its good to know other players! Also, I'm guessing from the responses

Eseibel - Let me clarify - "have you personally moved a 4x12 cab with your car, and if so, how did it do in the back seat?" I've carried mine with the seat folded down, but the thing is that it protrudes into the "trunk" or "hatch" area, and this is what I don't exactly understand about a convertible. When carrying stuff in my current car, I lay it down flat in such a manner that it extends into the rear of the car. I feel like that area disappears because of the top. Or am I missing something? Is there still a trunk "pass through" between back seat and trunk area on a vert?

HastingSRJ - Check my sig. Nothing fancy, but I can haul the entire band, their gear, AND tow their cars to the gig - IF I wanted the responsibility. But after a show, broads choose the top down convertible over the gig vehicle 100% of the time. Showmanship is key, my friend!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

hahaha, thats what I get for not reading before I post...lol
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Haha no problem. Thats a sweet looking vert btw. I'm a bird guy but nothing says "business" like a fat *** rollbar on a black SS. Are you actually located in MA btw? Or are you military/stationed somewhere?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by acslam
Haha no problem. Thats a sweet looking vert btw. I'm a bird guy but nothing says "business" like a fat *** rollbar on a black SS. Are you actually located in MA btw? Or are you military/stationed somewhere?
thank you, I appreciate it. I am from MA, been in the Marines for 19 years, currently stationed on Okinawa. I prefer bird seats in my SS couple pics and vids here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...pics-vids.html
Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

WOW. Thank you for your service sir, and I wish you a speedy trip back home. I'd be scared shitless with all that radiation business going on in that country.

If you come back anytime this summer, I'd love to see your car at a meet or something. That roll bar is interesting to me - Ive often thought that if I ever got a vert, I'd want the bar, but with my question about cargo space....I'm not sure exactly how that all fits together, and how intrusive it is. It almost looks like you couldn't fit people in the back seat??
Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bite...

What cab are you running? If you happen to be using a mesa recto cab and still trying to fit in a diezel VH4 into a T-top TA then good luck. What I'd do is sell the 4x12 and go with a mills acoustic Mach 212B cab. Mills Acoustic cabs produce unreal sounds! the 212 would easily be equivalent to a standard 412. When I was playing shows on a regular basis I was running 2 Mills Acoustics 412 Afterburners and dude the wall of sound those things produced ... godly!

Or even 2 212 cabs would be more ideal for fitting into tight situations and say running the amp off of 8 ohms instead of 16. That is if your current cab is 16ohms. Running off of 8ohms on certain amps will end up using more of the output transformers windings and give you a little fuller sound... On some amps that is.

Just my suggestion...
Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

My current setup is actually the old school Crate Blue Voodoo full stack, with the old blue tolex/gold accents. I have the 120 watt version, slant and straight cabs. I actually have a staggered X-pattern mix of celestion v30's and g-12t75's or whatever their number is (the standard celestion in a marshall 1960a, I had one I pirated them from). Set the head up with EL-34's, and I run straight into it with a 1993 Jackson King V pro Dave Mustaine series. As a half stack the setup runs as 16 ohms, and honestly I can't recall the last time I actually hooked up the second cab, I just prefer running one whenever I play out.

Stuffing that into my T-top, and leaving room for a passenger, IS actually possible. Well, the slant cab anyway. Straight cab simply will not fit, no way no how. But at no point would I call this an easy process. And in order to do it, the cab has to be laid flat on it's back, physically it stretches from the back of the front seats to the axle hump.

I am not certain, but I think that might be the area where the convertible top is supposed to go. I get the idea from looking at pictures that it might be easier to actually stand a cab upright with the top down, and that it might be next to impossible to carry one at ALL with the top up. It's that whole hatchback/vs vert top thing I'm not clear about, never had a vert to play with. Maybe I should get a small cargo trailer and be done with it?

The idea of a 2x2 is cool. I never really thought of that mostly because I try not to have extra music gear I'm not using. That might be something worth looking into.

Maybe it's time I go find one of these cars as a vert and play with it for awhile.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by acslam
WOW. Thank you for your service sir, and I wish you a speedy trip back home. I'd be scared shitless with all that radiation business going on in that country.

If you come back anytime this summer, I'd love to see your car at a meet or something. That roll bar is interesting to me - Ive often thought that if I ever got a vert, I'd want the bar, but with my question about cargo space....I'm not sure exactly how that all fits together, and how intrusive it is. It almost looks like you couldn't fit people in the back seat??
Thank you, I apprecaite it. With adding a roll cage you definatly take the use out of the back seat. Not that its that comfortable to sit back there anyways. However, I do have a removable cross brace on my cage, so you could fit people back there. But I generally dont put anyone back there. There isnt really any head room with the cage there.

I am hoping to make it down to G16 or another one of the F body shows in Atlanta. Not too sure where your located.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the top down there is no pass through to the trunk. the back of the rear seat on your car is pretty much where the top lays in a convertible. With the top up and the seat down I am estimating you probably have about an 8 inch tall opening from the trunk floor to the rear deck. I'm no musician but from the size of the crate your explaining I think top down would be your only option.

Quick Reply: Vert musicians?? 4x12 cab???