Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Garage kept verts question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Garage kept verts question

Those of you who have garage kept convertibles (and never/rarely see rain), what do you guys do to your top? anything? I know you're supposed to, and I did like 8 years ago, but the car only has 5,000 miles since then, and has seen rain maybe twice in surprise storms.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 532 Likes on 382 Posts

I'm in your same situation with my two 'verts. Rarely in the rain but it does happen. I use RAGGTOPP protectant and apply it every 6 months. The water beads up nicely. It also really protects the top against any environmental crap. Just the other day a huge drop of yellow pollen fell on top. It could have left a stain but it quickly and easily was removed with no residue. I know the RAGGTOPP is expensive, at about $25 per can, but I have sworn by the stuff for many years. My convertible tops are always like new.
** Note: If you do use the stuff, make sure you protect the glass with old towels or rags. It is a bear to remove if heavily applied. I raise the top a crack and lay down huge towels all around, then lower the top on the rags. Spray away.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I do is wash mine with the same soapy water i use on the car. I just make sure to rinse it completely before the soap dries. This was recommended by the manufacturer of the top fabric.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Raggtop is good stuff but I now use SurfCity. It's a 2-1 product. Cleans and also seals like a 3M would. Super easy to use, also.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 232 Likes on 184 Posts

I've used the top protectant stuff (Raggtop or 303??) like twice since new. Since the only time my top gets wet is the handful of washes each year, its not necessary to use it religiously. For washing, I use Zaino Z7 (entire car, including top). My top looks like new (other than the occasional lint), but only ~17,500 miles so far.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I typically only use soap and water, and VERY little pressure using a sponge. I need to look into these other products.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Soap and water with light sponge action - top is black so that helps tremendously. The original white top - that's another story.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I've used the top protectant stuff (Raggtop or 303??) like twice since new. Since the only time my top gets wet is the handful of washes each year, its not necessary to use it religiously. For washing, I use Zaino Z7 (entire car, including top). My top looks like new (other than the occasional lint), but only ~17,500 miles so far.
I really like the look of your tonneau cover! I have the wolfe roll cage and don't want to cut up a cover just to have it. Maybe one day if I come across some at a parts yard -hmmm time to start looking.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Burntclutches
I really like the look of your tonneau cover! I have the wolfe roll cage and don't want to cut up a cover just to have it. Maybe one day if I come across some at a parts yard -hmmm time to start looking.
I have the wolfe roll cage too and have my tonneau cover trimmed to fit around the roll bar.

Mine came with the car though and it was easy to cut to fit as it is just plastic.

Also for my top I just use soapy water but I think I will be looking into some of the products mentioned above soon.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by carguy_24
I have the wolfe roll cage too and have my tonneau cover trimmed to fit around the roll bar.

Mine came with the car though and it was easy to cut to fit as it is just plastic.

Also for my top I just use soapy water but I think I will be looking into some of the products mentioned above soon.
That's boot cover and I have modified mine as well, I was referring to the cover that also goes over the backseat as well if look closer at the pic you will see what I mean.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

That's boot cover and I have modified mine as well, I was referring to the cover that also goes over the backseat as well if look closer at the pic you will see what I mean.
Haha I see the cover you are talking about now. That would be a little harder to modify. I have seen a mystichrome cobra mustang with a cage and that cover and it was pretty cool looking.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I park indoors all year round. Rarely get caught in the rain, but it does happen. I do nothing to the top, and it looks great. Occasionally I might dust it with compressed air if I'm in a playful mood.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine stays inside too, my top was replaced a few years back so I dont treat mine, just wash with regular carwash soap...then it gets covered. If it stayed outside I would use the raggtop system too.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When storing your convertible inside for an extended period (over winter, etc.), so you leave the top up, or down? Something in between?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Saturn5
When storing your convertible inside for an extended period (over winter, etc.), so you leave the top up, or down? Something in between?
The top should always be in the up position - this is for the fabric to keep it's shape and not have discolorations from the creases that are present when down. I've never had an issue with it but that's what is suggested by GM and my interior repair friend.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

The top should always be in the up position - this is for the fabric to keep it's shape and not have discolorations from the creases that are present when down. I've never had an issue with it but that's what is suggested by GM and my interior repair friend.
Definitely! Keeping it down can potentially result in shrinkage (think Seinfeld ) and also serious 'fold' lines. When I bought mine new, it was displayed in a dealer's showroom with the top down. It had been like that a long time on display before I strolled in and bought it. Even though the top and car were new it still had some nasty fold lines. I eventually got them out but imagine doing that to a 10+ year old top. Probably would be permanent.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I leave the top up for the same reasons mentioned here. I've used the 303 Ragtop Fabric cleaner and the High Tech Fabric Guard. Both products work great although I haven't reapplied the fabric guard in a few years I probably should. I notice the water not beading like it did after the first application. Of course I can't lie, my car is pretty much a garage and trailer queen so the top doesn't see alot of weather except at car shows and few cruise nights. I think I use the lint rollers on the top more than anything. It seems there is no way to keep lint off a black top.

Last edited by HAWKVERT; 04-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

That's a sweet Firehawk. How much mileage?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you!

I think it's sitting at 6200.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HAWKVERT
Thank you!

I think it's sitting at 6200.
Wow! I thought I drove mine just a little bit (about to hit 29,000 miles).

Quick Reply: Garage kept verts question