Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

The lil v6 engine could...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default The lil v6 engine could...

The story of my '01 red vert v6 Camaro.

I bought the car in 2007 from someone that moved into NY from SC.
I always wanted a ls1 camaro, but seeing this convertible made me change my mind about getting a TTop one.
The price difference between v6 & v8 made me change my mind about the ls1,on a college student budget paying for his own tuition.

Bought it as a birthday gift to myself at 21 years age. Maybe odd to some, but being in NYC didn't need a car before.
The car had 43k miles and a bad catalytic converter. Due to young age/ less mileage GM covered the cost of new part/installation.

Got the car on the road in May and drove it until October 2009 when the fuel pump went at 77k.
In between car had many Issues.
2 Bad Ignition Modules, Coil packs, Starter ,3 MAP & Crank & Cam sensors & Water Pump.

It soon dawned on me that the owner either kicked the clock back or never had any maintence done due to the car's poor health that was only 6 years old.

Best part about living in the city, public transportation was always cheaper and an option so I parked the car up for 1 year.

In 2010 saved up for a GM replacement fuel pump and worked on other things like School and Internships.Got the car back on road in April 2010.

Just like any college grad in reccession times, I was unemployed for almost 1 year so nothing more than oil changes & gas for the car.

Only job I could get required 75 miles a day commute, took the job knowing the car's total mileage maybe well over 100k miles at this point.

Drove the car for 9 months and it Really started falling apart. Vats Issues,Bad starter, Water pump, Lower Intake hose burst, Broken radiator.

In december '12, I gave up and leased a subaru imprezza that was advertised with 37 mpg (my 1 way commute).
I kept the camaro at this point with just liability insurance and driveable.

I couldn't just let it sit.

So I redid the entire audio system and sold the cloth beige interior to help fund ebony leather swap.

Bought 18" 5 spoke chrome wheels by ROH and I was satiesfied with the car's apperance.
Suspension was shot, so installed all 4 shocks.

Bought a SS hood for $250 & Aftermarket SS Spoiler for $75.
The plan was to get car repainted factory color SOM this summer.

That all changed when I got news of a totaled z28, selling everything rquired for a v8 swap.

I knew I wanted a v8 ever since I got the car & went for it! Donor z came with headers & ORY.

I got the donor z28 & my 'vert v6 onto trailer to a shop not to far away from me this past weekend. Its nothing special because everything said & done,it will be like any stock ss ls1 convertible with shiny wheels.

For me it will be a huge change to drive the same car with 300+rwhp instead of the 140rwhp it originally came with.

Plans for the car after it comes back on memorial day weekend are Paint this winter & complete suspension components after tax rebate in spring '13.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought I read that those are the same 3800 that were in the 3800 supercharged cars. I really gave it some thought to getting one and turbo charging it. When I had my 3000GT VR4 guys were getting 700+ out of the 3.0 and if you did the Montaro 3.5 swap - 800+! So I've no doubt that 3800 would rock on a sick *** twin setup! The econ of the v6 and the power of a v8 but like you, I wanted that LS1 under the hood so I waited it out and found my ugly duckling, lol... she's now in the shop getting all customed out with body work and murdered paint

Can't wait to see your ride when she's all done!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youre lucky enough to have the means for a V8 swap , I`ve been meaning to do a V8 swap on my convertible for years but living in Cyprus made it almost impossible so I left it a V6 and modded it , and decided I`ll wait for the right time and just get another V8 car.. Post progress pics though

and RONIN LSX ; 3800 motors respond really well to boost and have pretty stout bottom ends and will take a large amount of boost if the tune is right , there is a twin turbo 8 sec firebird.

And yes the 3800 engines in F-bodies are almost the same with the supercharged FWD cars apart from transmission , heads , pistons and rods lol
you can swap out the heads and smack on a supercharger but needs some fabrication to fit under the cowl.. It has been done though...
Old 05-14-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cemlsx
Youre lucky enough to have the means for a V8 swap , I`ve been meaning to do a V8 swap on my convertible for years but living in Cyprus made it almost impossible so I left it a V6 and modded it , and decided I`ll wait for the right time and just get another V8 car.. Post progress pics though

and RONIN LSX ; 3800 motors respond really well to boost and have pretty stout bottom ends and will take a large amount of boost if the tune is right , there is a twin turbo 8 sec firebird.

And yes the 3800 engines in F-bodies are almost the same with the supercharged FWD cars apart from transmission , heads , pistons and rods lol
you can swap out the heads and smack on a supercharger but needs some fabrication to fit under the cowl.. It has been done though...
Thanks.

Yeah I looked into ALL the options to add some more powert to this thing but without serious work, it would still be stock ls1 range.

Rear mount turbo is the easiest route because it a lil bit more involved that doing a complete exhaust system. Runing some oil lines & Tune.

I was going to let it be a v6 until I bought a home and had space/time to collect parts for the swap in few years or just sell it for a v8.

Like you said a m90 supercharger from a monte ss would be lot of work for marginal gains.

I 'll eventually add a cam/heads package with matching TQ convertor but for now it will be just a Headers/ORY/Dumped exhaust car.

Some apperance & tech mods like RFID Ignition & Ipad in dash.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 05-14-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice man thats awesome you will really enjoy the car again after the swap.

Have fun, take your time and if there is any leaks get them fixed now with the engine out especially an oil pan gasket, rear main etc since gaskets and oil seals are pretty cheap.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 503 Likes on 363 Posts

Sorry to be off-topic but have you had any vandalism issues in NY, especially with the convertible top?? We would like to visit NYC but both our main cars are 'verts and it is a concern. Of course nothing of value would be in plain view. Should we just rent? I'd like to hear from a local.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Sorry to be off-topic but have you had any vandalism issues in NY, especially with the convertible top?? We would like to visit NYC but both our main cars are 'verts and it is a concern. Of course nothing of value would be in plain view. Should we just rent? I'd like to hear from a local.
No, I never had an issue with vandalism with my car parked on the street.

I live few miles outside of manhattan so parking isn't an issue, but it is NOT worth it to drive into manhattan especially if you are visting and sight seeing.

I 'd reccomend to fly here and use the local trains which very well connect entire parts of the city.

Rental cars - We have this service called zip car. I never used it but its suppose to be easier than tradional car rentals. They advertise that its particulary for people who live in manhattan and need a rental car once in while to go out to Long Island or New Jersey.

Unless you are visting outside of 5 main boroughs , I would suggest not to bother driving or renting a car. Unlimited rides for a week per person on local metro is $24.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Launching!

I'm in staten island my. Where are you? We have car meet on mondays in summer
Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
So I've no doubt that 3800 would rock on a sick *** twin setup!
Yes, yes it does. Not mine, just a piddly old V6 that runs 8's. Was Tim King's from INTENSE racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYfvtKr900
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Perfect example of how you can make anything fast with enough money.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 503 Likes on 363 Posts

bad 408 vert Thank you! Appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

No problem^

RxRom - I'm in queens. Exit 27 of LIE. Pm me more info?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Swap is finished. Went smoothly because I had a whole donor. Has LTs , Ory & dumped magnaflow mufflerz
Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

going to enjoy the car this summer as is.

Car will be painted attomic orange this winter after I find rk sport tonneau covers cheaper than 600+.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Default :d

Picked up the car this morning & man I am in love with this monster!!!

Went early so I can drive it home 40 miles with almost no traffic & open it up a lil bit.

Got it up to 45 on a local road , guy on side walk turned around to see what the noise was! I got a laugh out of it becuase he took off his ear phones in shock of how loud this car was.

Not driving a Camaro for a month & then to get it back in this awesome shape, Its unbelievable !
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 159 Likes on 144 Posts

Never give up if you love your car.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Burntclutches
I didn't take in progress pics, but have some of the paper weight v6 on a pallet that I'm shipping to someone for their build.
Trans is sitting in my backyard and all electrical components in my basement.

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Never give up if you love your car.
Yep, Never did. Its a beast now.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well take some pics of it finished.

Quick Reply: The lil v6 engine could...