Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Wits END with this window...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wits END with this window...

Ok...my dirty hooker of a '99 Firebird is in need of a rear window rehab. Last year I glued the top of the window back on to the inner fabric piece with some crap glue the autoparts store idiot said would be 'awesome'. It was gummy, like silicone...and peeled away after about a week. Stuck it in storage for the winter - I only drive it in the summer to save on gas. But this window is driving me insane. I just got back from an upholstery/custom shop...quoted me $250 to replace the whole window. Screw that.

So, my plan now is get some 3M glass glue and pop the top enough to match the glass back with the inner 'liner' fabric and glue that back together. Then I'll get some sort of tape to reinforce the glass/fabric seam on the inside.

What does anybody suggest to get rid of the gap between the outer fabric and the inner piece? I could just use some double sided body tape to stick the layers together above the window....?
Attached Thumbnails Wits END with this window...-top1.jpg   Wits END with this window...-top2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Has anybody used canvas repair tape? Like what a skipper might keep on a sailboat in case a sail rips? I would assume it would be strong enough to hold and probably weatherproof to an extent? I live in ND...the summers are pretty short and not too wet.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is doing the same thing. There is a thread somewhere that I read to use window weld and leave the top halfway open to allow you to stretch it far enough. I can't find anywhere around here that will touch a convertible top. Kind of annoying.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Yeah...most places I spoke with basically said the same..."Replace the top - but we aren't doing it." Soooo...looks like we will do some creative rigging.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing and has been for years and is finally being replaced in a few months.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're adventurous, the rear window is actually separate from the rest of the top, and can be replaced. I did that several years ago. I believe the replacement part is ~ $250. I got too frustrated with the various solutions for re-attaching the glass to the fabric that always failed.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 3M windshield urethane has held up on my repair.
What I'd recommend is using a whole mess of pillows,
foam, whatever, to push the window out to proper
position against the outer fabric so it's wrinkle free
before you apply the glue, and let the outer work set
before you try anything with inside pieces.

But if you used silicone already you may never get
adhesion back.

Don't ask auto parts store dudes for advice unless
they're over 50 and missing a finger. Those might be
ex-mechanics. The rest of them are just taking a
break from flipping burgers.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyblue

Don't ask auto parts store dudes for advice unless
they're over 50 and missing a finger. Those might be
ex-mechanics. The rest of them are just taking a
break from flipping burgers.

Too funny. And true. I got fed up and used a piece of black duct tape for the time being.

Super ghetto. Don't care. Cost 1 penny. Good enough for me at the moment. I think I will go at the glass with some solvent, a razor to scrape and try with the 3M urethane in a few weeks. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and my window is still flappy!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You can buy just the rear glass w/canvas on ebay...fwiw.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Try jimmyblue's way first but really, if you enjoy your car and want to keep it awhile with no more 'rear glass' aggravation, spend the $250 and have it done right.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Well, I do very much enjoy my car. It's my daily driver in the summer when I'm not taking the kids somewhere. However, unfortunately, it does sit in storage October-May and is at the bottom of the pecking order of our 'fun cars', unfortunately. $250 is a few interior trim pieces for the '68 or a weekend track event for the '00 :/ luckily, my tape is still holding strong and nobody has even seen it unless I show them. Score!

Quick Reply: Wits END with this window...