Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

broken vert frame!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broken vert frame!!!!!

argh .. some one broke into my car slit the top and somehow managed to break the frame to the top it seems to be somewhat clean break i was wondering if at all possible could it be welded somehow? this is a total bummer especially with summer finally coming up here in michigan and id like to use my vert

my car is a 96 camaro if that makes any difference btwn the years they were made

any suggestions or help would be great

thanks in advance
Dan

heres a photo:
Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

I can't help ya on a fix but I feel for ya man. That's my biggest fear in owning a 'vert and why I've kept my electronics stock.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that sucks, I see em on ebay every once in awhile. Too bad I just through a complete Top away with frame and all to get it out of my garage I would have given it to you for shipping. It was dirty and stained but not broken
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

yeah its a real P.I.T.A. owning a vert sometimes i usually keep it in the garage... crazy enuf nothing was taken but they did end up breaking that damn center console lid i just replaced.... to bad you threw it away i seen em on ebay once too 800$ frame only... and i called the local dealership and they say 4700$ for a new assembly i thought it was a lil high priced tho.... i definatly would have grabbed that up from you but we'll see how it goes... it'll have to stay in the garge til i can figure somthing out cuz i cant leave it in a parking lot like that.... id be stupid

thanks for the help guys

Dan
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

ouch. is that the cast aluminum member? if so, i stripped a thread in that part on mine. when i was buying parts i needed to fix, i seem to remember seeing that part in the fiche. check out www.gmparts4less.com.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

yeah ive actually checked there b4 and coulndt find anything im not even sure it can just be replaced with out having to replace the whole god damn thing
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

maybe you can luck into something from a salvage yard, but they probably wouldn't break up a good top, so you'd have to find one that's broken elsewhere.

i can't believe how close our cars are in looks!!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

i am sure it can be welded...i broke my incon turbo manifold clean in half and got it rewelded for 125 bux...yours should be cheaper and easy to do
Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude take it to some local welding shop and shwo them the problem. I bet they could weld it in no time and for cheap.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

i can't believe how close our cars are in looks!!
o man they are damn near the same car.... good work

ive taken it to a few shops and they say nothng can be done to mend it.... now i dounno if thats true or not because i dont know what type of metal it is but thats the response i seem to be getting

thanks for all the help guys
Old 05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Default broken frame

Aluminum or steel, it can be fixed by a good welder. Worst case scenario would be they would want it out of car so no damage to soft stuff while welding.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mcssmostwanted
yeah ive actually checked there b4 and coulndt find anything im not even sure it can just be replaced with out having to replace the whole god damn thing
hey mcssmostwanted , if you want to drive to minneapolis/st.paul i have a complete top (un bolted from the floor) out of a low mile 95 z28. the car was totaled and i grabbed the top from my buddy about 8 years ago and had it ever since. so its virtually new. ill sell it for $400, but i dont want to ship it, its to big.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

have you tried going to a body shop and see if they can just order that part seperately?

With my accident, i busted my top, bad. I still have a little bump in one of the main hoop bars, over the drivers head. Anyways, the accident had broken three bars in the frame and they just ordered a set of new ones and replaced them. THis was done about two years ago so they should be able to get a few parts form gm if not aftermarket (most likely!!)

good luck!! THat sucks and my biggest fear with my vert.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TRANSAM75
hey mcssmostwanted , if you want to drive to minneapolis/st.paul i have a complete top (un bolted from the floor) out of a low mile 95 z28. the car was totaled and i grabbed the top from my buddy about 8 years ago and had it ever since. so its virtually new. ill sell it for $400, but i dont want to ship it, its to big.

if only i lived closer i so would ****** that up from ya!

Originally Posted by obZidian
have you tried going to a body shop and see if they can just order that part seperately?

With my accident, i busted my top, bad. I still have a little bump in one of the main hoop bars, over the drivers head. Anyways, the accident had broken three bars in the frame and they just ordered a set of new ones and replaced them. THis was done about two years ago so they should be able to get a few parts form gm if not aftermarket (most likely!!)

good luck!! THat sucks and my biggest fear with my vert.
its actually one of the arms that is connected the the hydraulic rams that puts the top up and down so from what i was told the whole thing needed to be replaced.... so i dont know

thanks for the help guys..... i do appreciate it
Old 06-07-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Grab A Buddy With A Truck, Do A Road Trip!!