Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Who has a roll bar on their drop top???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obZidian
it states,

" Pure Stock Street Legal rules are specifically intended for street-legal vehicles that are production stock, as manufactured and sold by the original automobile manufacturer."

Since bolt-on's are modifications that were installed not by the manufacture, thus, you are not applicable for Pure Stock. I believe this class is regulated towards cars like my Z06...
I have read something else that broke down the meaning of pure stock. It stated that there coudl be no power adders and you could not break into the internals of the motor. I can see what you are saying but it is not what i have read when i looked further into it. I had the whole thing printed out and in my old car but that is all gone now.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

right, and i agree..

but we all know there is a grey area when considering what IS a power-adder.

IS it more like a nitrous kit or a FI. kit.... or some stroker kit. OR, is it anything that adds power?

who knows? All i know is that if you don't like a cage/rollbar in your car, that is fine...

i may feel differently but that is ok. I would rather have an ugly cage ( ) that will save my *** than not having one and have to move my seat all the way up because my rear passenger demands more leg room than i am willing to give!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

right, and i agree..

but we all know there is a grey area when considering what IS a power-adder.

IS it more like a nitrous kit or a FI. kit.... or some stroker kit. OR, is it anything that adds power?

who knows? All i know is that if you don't like a cage/rollbar in your car, that is fine...

i may feel differently but that is ok. I would rather have an ugly cage ( ) that will save my *** than not having one and have to move my seat all the way up because my rear passenger demands more leg room than i am willing to give!
from what i have read.... it sounds like anything that adds power ie nitrous, sc, turbo. Bolt on modifications ie exhaust inc headers is ok or CAI. I had TD's on my car and they put me in the pure stock classification in considering my times w/o a roll cage...

I feel ya on the safety part and i am all for cages in cars that need it to be safe. I am not a supporter of a cage for any other reason other than safety or stability (frame rigity) for launching and whatnot.... other than that a cage is kinda pointless IMO. To each their own in this case but unless you are running unbelieveable times or have huge plans for the car my .02 is dont waste your money and sacrafice the resale value of the car at hand.

About the rear passengers... If they wanna sit in the back and go for a ride....i will let them but they dont get anymore leg room than i am willing to give. nobody belongs in a F-bod back seat unless you are under 4' tall.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

or a group of chika's!

again, couldn't agree with ya more. When i got my cage in, it killed me thinking that i was gonna kill my backseat until i saw the final product.... things changes quickly soon after that!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

or a group of chika's!

again, couldn't agree with ya more. When i got my cage in, it killed me thinking that i was gonna kill my backseat until i saw the final product.... things changes quickly soon after that!
Yeah i move up for chicks fo sho. Talk about a stripper pole! That thing is a jungle gym for strippers! LMAO
Old 03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

so at what et do we have to have a full cage??
Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

PAF is making my 6pt March 21!!! Will post pics when it is done!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Roll Cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (6.99 1/8 ) or quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel allowing people to ride in the back of a caged car because during an accident you never know where someones head/body is going to be flying. With that said when I do my cage it will be a welded 10pt. If I had a vert this is how it would be done! I believe its a Wolfe cage as well.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by caddobass
Roll Cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (6.99 1/8 ) or quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph
that sucks
Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thewizard15
I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel allowing people to ride in the back of a caged car because during an accident you never know where someones head/body is going to be flying. With that said when I do my cage it will be a welded 10pt. If I had a vert this is how it would be done! I believe its a Wolfe cage as well.

yes that is a wolfe cage, the guys name is Rob he is from San Diego. Very nice car!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now what is the difference of a 1 and 5/8ths cage and a 1 and 3/4ths? Which one is going to be allowed at the track? And how can you tell what cage is what? I'm still planning on getting one for the car, but I'm looking at the jegs.com one. Its cheap and I'll be able to move some of the pieces around to give it some back seat space.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Anyone have a picture of where the rear points mount to the vehicle?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ

I love mine, wouldnt change a thing. Then again, I dont use my vert as a family car, or have a lot of people in it either, 2 people only, back seats are gone.
How much was your cage it looks very good?!?!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:57 AM
Launching!

first off, do yourself a favor and call your local tracks to find out the rules with roll cages. The stipulations vary from track to track, sometimes state to state. For instance, here in SC for non-sanctioned races as in weekend track runs, roll bars are not required.....thats what that nice little waiver you sign is for As far as the safety of roll bars goes, that earlier post about helmets is correct. I personally work in a Level 1 Trauma ICU and see a vast array of accidents and circumstances every night I work. Bottom line is, padding wont save your head and especially not from breaking your neck, your head can still hit the roll bar with a seat belt on especially in a rollover, and the rear passengers are at the most risk because of the angle of the roll bars gives them the most angles to hit their heads. The injuries range from cervical spine fractures ( which can kill you, paralyze you, cause you to have other neurological deficits ), hematomas of the brain, midline shifts of the brain, vast array of facial and skeletal fractures, etc.

Therefore, build a cage if you race, wear a helmet if you race.

If its your daily driver, just be careful, buckle up, and dont wreck

Hope this helps, Ryan
Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMcockySS
I personally work in a Level 1 Trauma ICU and see a vast array of accidents and circumstances every night I work.
...your head can still hit the roll bar with a seat belt on especially in a rollover, and the rear passengers are at the most risk because of the angle of the roll bars gives them the most angles to hit their heads. The injuries range from cervical spine fractures ( which can kill you, paralyze you, cause you to have other neurological deficits ), hematomas of the brain, midline shifts of the brain, vast array of facial and skeletal fractures, etc. ...

Hope this helps, Ryan
I've been trying to tell people this, but it is amazing how many will not listen. If you are over about 4' 6", your head will be within a couple inches of the rollbar and in accident, you'll hit it.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOMcockySS
first off, do yourself a favor and call your local tracks to find out the rules with roll cages. The stipulations vary from track to track, sometimes state to state. For instance, here in SC for non-sanctioned races as in weekend track runs, roll bars are not required.....thats what that nice little waiver you sign is for As far as the safety of roll bars goes, that earlier post about helmets is correct. I personally work in a Level 1 Trauma ICU and see a vast array of accidents and circumstances every night I work. Bottom line is, padding wont save your head and especially not from breaking your neck, your head can still hit the roll bar with a seat belt on especially in a rollover, and the rear passengers are at the most risk because of the angle of the roll bars gives them the most angles to hit their heads. The injuries range from cervical spine fractures ( which can kill you, paralyze you, cause you to have other neurological deficits ), hematomas of the brain, midline shifts of the brain, vast array of facial and skeletal fractures, etc.

Therefore, build a cage if you race, wear a helmet if you race.

If its your daily driver, just be careful, buckle up, and dont wreck

Hope this helps, Ryan

agreed... that is why you remove your stock seat belts and get some real belt's. Like a 5pt.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
that sucks

Tell me about it!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed... that is why you remove your stock seat belts and get some real belt's. Like a 5pt.
Are 5pts legal for the street? For example, if I remove the stock belts and install a 5pt, will this be a prob if I get pulled over?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly!!
Keeps your *** in the seat as well on the road course.

Quick Reply: Who has a roll bar on their drop top???