Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Who has a roll bar on their drop top???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who has a roll bar on their drop top???

I am wanting to put a roll cage in but I need to know if it kills the head room for the back seat passengers. I was thinking about getting one that doesn't come welded already and having the bars welded closer to the center about 4 inches from each other.

Let me know what you think or if you have this already.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think a cage is a terrible idea on a convertible. it takes away too much of that open air feeling with a cage hovering over your head. and that bar that goes across right behind the front seats will limit how much you can recline. forget about sitting in the rear (even though the space there only fits 2 midgets). i've tried sitting in the rear seats of a Mustang with this bar and the thing is right at my chest. very claustaphobic. getting in and out requires my brazilian jiu-jitsu training/agility. and the rear seats of a Mustang is roomier.

the open air feeling of the Fbody is already hampered by its massive/sloping windshield. my 5.0 convertible is low, low tech but feels more like a vert with the top down.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

GO ROLL BAR....4-point.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjmayher
I am wanting to put a roll cage in but I need to know if it kills the head room for the back seat passengers...
Thanks.
worse than killing the headroom, it can kill the passengers in a crash! there are several accounts of people's heads comng into contact with bars and it doesn't take too much contact to cause serious brain injury. Roll bars really require use of a helmet at all times, even if the bar is padded. I had a 6 pt for my street car and decided not to install it after I read a couple of posts about people being injured using on the street. whatever you decide to do, be careful.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaveSchott
worse than killing the headroom, it can kill the passengers in a crash! there are several accounts of people's heads comng into contact with bars and it doesn't take too much contact to cause serious brain injury. Roll bars really require use of a helmet at all times, even if the bar is padded. I had a 6 pt for my street car and decided not to install it after I read a couple of posts about people being injured using on the street. whatever you decide to do, be careful.
that is always a concern... however, if your were your seat belt, as we all should, it will help. Also, unless your in a roll situation, which a rollbar will be doing its job and honestly, you have more things to worry about than a silly bar above your head; i don't think i have ever been in an accident where i would of hit the halo-bar, and i have crashed this particular f-body three times and its still ticking!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

I think that the idea of the two rear bars being about 4-6 inches apart will help with the safety of the passengers. I will most deffinatally be putting padding on it. As for the bar that goes behind the front seats, I will be deleting that. I will not have racing seats or racing harnesses of any kind, so that would be a useless piece, and take up space. I also have the Eibach Pro-kit so I think that if this thing flips I would almost deserve to have the roll bar not work. Now God forbid that happen, but I am using it more as an apearence piece than a need. Untill I get the speed up and need it for the track. I also like the idea of having a camara mounted to the cage for some of the fun in the sun.

But thanks guys for all of the thoughts, and please keep them coming.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

my thoughts exactly. My car is also lowered and if i flip this thing, well, i really have no need driving it. Of course, at the track, it's a completely different enviroment, i have seen cars flip there plenty.... and with the possibly MPH i'll be running, not to mention that i'm required to have a 10pt cage, i feel the cage is a safe net i can live with.

Also, i believe the center crossbar cannot be removable for it to be track nhra legal.... but, the tech's at the track is where you can get away with that, if possible.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

there is no need for a full cage if your not going to the track
Old 01-13-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is no safe seating for an adult with a 4 pt rollbar in a vert. The risk of hitting one's head is always there. My kids could ride in the back until they were around 11.

As for street safety, my rollbar allowed to walk away from a crash involving side impact. My second call (wife got the first) after the accident was to the shop that put it in to tell them that I tested it and it worked!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

I took mine out no room lost the convertible feel.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
My second call (wife got the first) after the accident was to the shop that put it in to tell them that I tested it and it worked!
HAHAHAHA! What was their reaction?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

i'm putting a 10 point in mine
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

If you go to the track with a convertible a roll bar is mandatory for cars running 13.49 or lower and you must have the crossbar welded in no more than 4 inches below, and not above the driver's shoulders. If you install a roll bar in your vert I would never ride anyone in the back again. Roll bars in a vert are a good thing if you are going to install one make it legal, just my opinion.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by caddobass
If you go to the track with a convertible a roll bar is mandatory for cars running 13.49 or lower and you must have the crossbar welded in no more than 4 inches below, and not above the driver's shoulders. If you install a roll bar in your vert I would never ride anyone in the back again. Roll bars in a vert are a good thing if you are going to install one make it legal, just my opinion.
there you go....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stroked_408
i'm putting a 10 point in mine

your my hero!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

I do I have a 6 point
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love mine, wouldnt change a thing. Then again, I dont use my vert as a family car, or have a lot of people in it either, 2 people only, back seats are gone.

Last edited by HASTINGSRJ; 02-09-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I like it alot. I will go with a roll cage as soon as I get money.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.wolferacecraft.com there ya go

rob
Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I really like the roll cage that is in the red 'vert. But I have no idea where he got it. If you look at it you will see that his bends in a way that you will still have head room in the back seat.

Quick Reply: Who has a roll bar on their drop top???