Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

For anyone who has owned an F-Body and a Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. 2000 SS
2. 2002 Z06
3. 2005 Z51

I'm trying to get back in a Z06. Plain and simple. Best car ever for the money, especially now-a-days.
I loved my Camaro, and still love Camaros, but they're just too big, slow, and the stance doesn't turn me on quite as much as a Z06, but that's all personal preference. The C5Z is the 2nd best looking car in the world TO ME (1st being a '69 Z/28)
The C6 is a GREAT car, but not enough of a kick in the ***. It's TOO refined for my tastes. Well, more pocketbook than anything. I could H/C it, do some visual things, and it'd be perfect, but I just don't have that kind of money. So, I'm stepping back down to a Z06, and going to make it MINE.
Pros of Camaro. Only one - price
Pros of Z06. Price, looks, LS6, weight, options (memory, HUD, etc), performance, handling, etc
Pros of C6. Comfy (most comfortable car I've EVER ridden in (no caddy's, but have ridden in an M3 once), options (heated seats are the **** in winter), NAV, Sat. radio, HUD, looks (looks better than C5 IMO), cubes (6.0 dumdumdum), the coolness of being the latest and greatest (LS3 guys, just go away lol), etc etc.

Cons of Camaro. Aging, creaky, squeaky, rattle-trap, LS1, doesn't handle quite as well (I'm a big mountain carver), doesn't look as good, not aerodynamic enough (late-night 170+ mph blasts are such a rush), not a Corvette (my favorite all around car ever)
Cons of Z06. Doesn't have quite the latest gadgets in the world. But that's about it and that CAN be fixed
Cons of C6. Price, and not brutal enough.

Sorry for the post being so crude. It's late as hell (2:21) and I didn't feel like properly laying out that post and being more exact.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, Vette tax sucks, but it's well worth it, IMO. Went from a '99 Trans Am to a 2003 C5 Z06 to a 2006 C6 Z51. Cons of the C6 - it doesn't feel as raw as my C5 Z06 did, but that's what I like about it. You can comfortably sit in traffic, listen to the gentle female voice of the Nav system while jamming to Satellite radio. Then you get an opening and mash the throttle and hit the curves, and it's very much a high performance monster. The LS2 and LS3 respond exceptionally well to bolt-ons, and with better tires, some steel brake lines and high-temp brake fluid, and you can take it to a track and easily run with the C5Z. Heads and cam, intake and exhaust with some coilovers, and you're knocking on the rear door of the C6 Z06 for thousands less.

Going from F-body to Vette is going to a completely different class of car. You'll never get an F-body with its solid axles to handle as good as a stock C5 or C6 Vette. Vettes are smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic and much better balanced with the tranny in the rear. I spent thousands in suspension and chassis upgrades for my Trans Am, and I was shocked the first time I drove a C5 coupe (not even a Z06) and how much better it handled.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Thanks a LOT guys. To be more specific, I honestly don't have enough money at the moment but I really want to get into a C5Z sooner rather than later, but it might be a while. I want a car that handles like its on rails.....

Another thing which I'm curious about is the shifter. I know in the C5+ the tranny's mounted in the rear (thanks for bringing that up though) but whats the difference in shifter feel?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think either a C5Z or C6 will feel like it's on rails compared to the f-bods. As for the shifter it feels alot like the stock f-bod shifter IMO. I swapped out my C5Z shifter for a C6Z shifter and I love it.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Owning both a C6 and a F-Body I can tell you there is a HUGE difference. I have an 06 C6' Coupe bone stock at the moment, aside from tires - and it is night and day to my modded TA. The TA sounds orgasmic compared to the Corvette, but once the exhaust is installed that will change hopefully. The Corvette is so smooth compared to an Fbody, 100 plus comes up REALLLLY quick, without you ever knowing if you don't look at the dash. Mine is a z51 car, so it has a nice stiff ride, even stiffer than the fbody. Interior quality is ten times better, steering is amazing. You feel so connected to the road, and it loves curvy interstates at 100+. Side by side they are two different cars, with the Vette appearing to be a tad shorter, the Transam almost looks fat compared to it. It sits LOW, real low - and if you think your Fbody scrapes, drive a C6. I'd love to lower it but that would make it almost undrivable.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy what you want and don't settle for anything less. If you don't have the money, then save some more and buy the car. Just seen a yellow 03 C5Z06 with 43k miles on it go for $20k on ebay!!! There are deals to be had right now.

here is the link to that Z, if it is still up when you click on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...=HPm2:JustSold

I will say that I came from a bolt on 99 Ws6. I would love to still have a WS6 sitting in my garage next to my vette. The vette is all around a better performer. However the f-body is one car I could do a lot more stupid/fun stuff in than the vette. The IRS can come around on you damn fast. In my WS6 I felt more connected to the road than with my Z06. I miss that to a certain point. Once the vette is paid for I am going hunting for a SOM WS6!

Last edited by scramblerman; 11-28-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

The main reason I bought a vette was for the leg room. I'm 6'5 and feel much more relaxed in the vette vs the camaro.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Each has there pro and cons. My Camaro will pretty much always be my show and weekend car. Whereas a C5 will just stay stock and get DD duty since they can be purchased for good prices.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

I had a 96 SS that I did H/C and a paxton blower with a converter. I got the acceleration I wanted but even after doing springs and shocks it just drove like crap and felt cheap inside. It almost ruined my taste for performance cars. Went to a Tahoe (in sig) that at one point had a 6.0 and an STS turbo, that was fun, but went back a bit b/c it became a little to hard to play with and keep on the road. Now I have a C6 and I love it. The exhaust sounds like a monster outside, but its quite inside. awesome interior, and nothing gets looks like a mean sounding yellow vette. Its also a very nice comfortable ride until you put your foot in it. My vette is staying covered up until the D1 procharger and cam get put in. My girlfriend gets very jealous of the car and starts arguments about it though :-) Point is F body's are fun, but a vette will be your baby.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont have a vette and have had rides in three and go to drive one of them. All were c5 cars one was a mildy modded c5 z06 with headers and think cam at the time. It was still very fast and handled amazing,amazing brakes. One I drove was a near stock intake only c5 vert auto and to tell the truth it didn't impress me much at all. Lately had a ride in a 590rwhp six speed coupe cartech 447? NA that for sure was very impressive. Even the c5 are way ahead of the f bodies in just about every area. Interior is better even on the c5s. Handling is better,the huds are cool and still mad gm gave the grand prix guys a hud but didn't give us trans am guys one. Brakes are better, car is lighter. Engine access to plugs and valve springs and stuff is better. And the vettes have multilevelt traction control options, active handling, magnetic ride options..Alll way better when you go up in power.
If had to do it again would leave my 99 ta ws6 stock and have twin turboed or magnacharged or kenny belled the vette. Its much more suited to crazy high power levels. I would even consider a c6 z06 and leave it stock but they don't offer them in six speed paddle shifting auto form. I am hoping the c7 if there is a c7 has six speed auto and the current base 7.0 engine in the coupes. Of course would love a z1r too but not likely be getting one of those this lifetime.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I like my Vette but to me it's just a Vette. I'd keep my Camaro if I had to choose. It has more character.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned Village Idiot

i have both i DD the vette only because i mod the **** out of the camaro... i had the camaro 1st then i got the vette... i wish i didn't get it tho... too pricy to mod!!! so im going to sell it and get another f-body to DD and throw in a few mods on it
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went from a 93 Trans Am into a 99 vette, still have both. Prefer the raw feel of the Trans Am but like the subdued power of the Vette. The vette wins for hands down quality and pimp factor, but I think my heart truly stays with the F-Body.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Skipped the F-bod and went straight for the vette. I would never even consider an F-body based on how well rounded Vette's are. Looks, power, handling, braking.....it has it all.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1.8t
I would never even consider an F-body based on how well rounded Vette's are. Looks, power, handling, braking.....it has it all.
Says the guy with the LS3 C6
Old 12-04-2008, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

i went from a camaro to a frc and ill just say the only downside to modding a vette is the cost, motor has ran me the same amount of $ but just like xterior or anything else costs more.

i've loved both cars but the corvette is just king for the street as it should be since it costs more. the ride and handling is awsome
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Says the guy with the LS3 C6

I don't get it
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I miss my SS, wish I still had it.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

I have a 2000vette and have owned multi ls1 ta,s and camaros...mod to mod....the vette smokes em...vettes don't spin f bodies spin...vettes are lighter and hook amazing...everybody has a modded f...spend the xtra cash and be different...VETTE...I love any american muscle!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

My new C6 make my TA feel like i got in a mustang. but is barley faster in a strait line. but he c6 is bone stock. will not be after this week though

Quick Reply: For anyone who has owned an F-Body and a Vette...