Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

For anyone who has owned an F-Body and a Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For anyone who has owned an F-Body and a Vette...

What did you have first, and what did you go to/have now? What are the pros/cons to both cars? I'm asking because I see a few people on here that go from an F-Body to a C5 and back or vice versa. I'd prefer comparisons to a C5 specifically but all comparisons to a C4 or C6 are welcome too. How easy/hard is it to mod, how does it react in this situation, how is the ride, etc. I know its mostly going to be Corvette owners in here, but please be as subjective as possible.... thanks.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

I went from a 2000 WS6(owned since new for 8 years) and bought a 2004 C5 auto as a second toy. I can tell you the creature comforts in the vette are way better than the T/A. The ride is alot smoother and I get way more looks driving the vette. As far as bang for the buck it's the F-body hands down, well unless you can pick up a used C5 for something in the teens. It's WAY cheaper to mod the F-bod too. There is a BIG corvette tax trust me lol. I love both cars though They both take to mods very well.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

I love both of our cars that is why we still have both of our cars. The F-Body just feels meaner all around, and the Vette seems to be more intimidating even though in our case it is the slower car. Although I love driving along with my wife because her Camaro just looks freakin' mean anywhere on the roadway. Generally the Vette feels a little smoother and a little more refined, but since I have a C5 Z06 it also feels a little "tense" like it is ready at anytime to unleash hell.

For all around though if I had to chose one or the other the F-body would get the nod from me, YMMV.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had a '99 Trans Am that I bought new in '98. It ended up with H/C, a sick dual exhaust setup, and several suspension mods. (Among several other things.) I got rid of it and recently bought an '03 Z06 (completely stock). I know the power isn't near the same (430 rwhp in the TA), but still, this vette hauls ***. It rides about the same as the TA did. I get looks in the Z, but I also got looks in the TA (pics in the sig). The loud exhaust also turned alot of heads in that thing.
Oh yea, and I got the vette for $22,900.
Dollar for dollar, the Z is a much better car. If I throw the same amount of $ into this car that I did into the TA, its gonna be insane.
Hope this helps.
-Marc
Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both, 98 TransAm (racecar) and 03 z06 (driver) I love both of the them the vette is more fun to drive but the TA has way more room and the Fbody IMO is a better car to mod because the parts are cheaper (rear,trans, ect.) and I have herd that when you put longtubes and ORX on the vette you can smell fumes in the car bad. I dont know my vette is stock now and Im happy with the it runs.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 AM
9 Second Club NA

I purchased a bone stock 2000 Camaro SS back in 2002, one mod led to another, then it turned into a 9 second race car. Then this past July, I purchased a 2005 Vette (C6). Of course in stock condition, the Vette stands no where close to the power the Camaro had, so I supercharged it. The Corvette is definitely fancier with the HUD, Active Handling, Magnetic Ride Control, Competitive Mode, and all the other goodies it has. Although both are sports car, the Vette feels more like a race car being a 2 seater and being more compact inside. Everything for the Vette is more expensive, but to me, it's worth it. It has less room than the Camaro, but its by no means uncomfortable. I personally like the C6s over the C5s.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Highly modified 2000 SS to a highly modified Z06..
Old 11-22-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i never had an LS1 F-Body but i had my '96 Z28 and i like the Vette much more. The Camaro is more raw, and muscle car feeling as it should feel. But the interior is less quality(i owned a 2000 V6 Camaro in '02 so i know the differences) I think the vette is more smooth at just about everything you want it to do than the F-Body. If a FBody has some suspension mods it helps but in the Vette you don't really have to make those upgrades. Maybe sways, or coilovers but the Vette's suspension is great from the factory for what you could want it to do. That's the reason there isn't much you can get for them really. I took my friend Shawn out for a spin in my Vette and he was very happy with the feel of the car. he has a '98 Z28 with a stalled built auto and some bolt on's and exhaust and he loved how the car felt smooth and docile when you were cruisin' and how it felt like it was gonna murder somebody when it went WOT I have the LT's and ORX and will say that it does stink in the car a little i will be adding cats to mine to fix that
Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ive had both from stock to bolt-on you have you good and your bads with both. i went from a 00 T/A to a 99 FRC ride quality and handling are the biggest difrences to me. as far as modding vettes are naturally more expsensive but the parts are easy to install, from my expirence.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Launching!

I still have my camaro and added my 98 a4 targa top vette a few months ago while home on r/r. The difference I think is night and day comparing the two cars. The vette feels like it handles on rails looks helluva lot nicer than the camaro and when I return will be a lot faster than the camaro. But really its up to the person. Just test drive one or the other and decide. If I end up keeping my camaro its just goin to be a dd.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went from a 02 T/A WS6 to a 02 Vette. My comparison is that the Fbody was a LOT cheaper to mod. But as far as comfort, ride, and just plain bad *** the vette wins hands down. If you like turning the vette is your car. If you race em straight line the fbody is your best bet hands down. The cons to the vette is the stupid electrical system on them. Some sensor or module or ground is always out.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned

I had a 98 gold trans am turbo. It was m baby, then I eventually got tired of it like anything else and wanted something alot nicer. The vette is better in every way. Then only thing is that the vette feels like it is made a little cheaper in ways. Like the doors for example. They feel so damn light like paper, same for the hood, the trunk and everything else but you gotta sacrifice something for weight savings. Thus helps everything from handling to acceleration to overall track performance. Keep in mind, mine is a Z06 so their are some differences. As far as everything being more expensive for parts with the so called "vette tax", just be a smart shopper. But your pretty muched screwed when it comes to body parts and accessories. You can get around it with performance mods. Corvette is definatley an A+ upgrade from an unbiased owner.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

yeah if you can shop around you can get deals. Stuff like intakes(not the manifolds) and headers/exhaust systems aren't interchangable with Fbody's. Everything else pretty much is. oh and underdrives. Clutches are all interchangable, anything motor relate minus a couple accessories. They make a SHITLOAD of odd crap for the vette's like you can replace the stock hatch area screws with bright Stainless. Never understood that mod but whatever i guess. They make something for everything on them. I loved my Camaro and some days wished i had just kept it as another toy but i just don't have the space for it
Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had two F-bodies. They are great performance for the dollar and easy to modify. I have kids so having a back seat was useful. For $20k, you can have amazing performance by picking up a lower mileage F-body in very good condition for $13k and adding $7k in mods.

I now have a C6 with the LS3 and Z51 handling package. The overall driving experience is better. It is lighter, smaller, and much more nicely made than the F-body. Interior is a huge step-up. A set of headers and clean up the tune on the LS3 and you're at 420 rwhp in a 3300 lb car.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

It all depends on what you want to do with the car.

Cars in order of owing:
'02 WS6
'00 Firehawk
'00 FRC Vette
'03 Lightning (not an LS car)
'02 Z06
'04 Mystic Cobra (not an LS car)
'08 AO Z06

I loved the F-Body cars for the drag strip! Cheap to mod is all relative. It depends on the parts you use. The F-Body is great for going straight. For cost effectiveness of modifying a vette, I would vote for a nice FRC. The C5 Z's are absolutely the best car for the money. They are a blast for the street and everyday driving, a rocket on the road course, and are pretty fun on the drag strip. The C6 Z is a whole new animal. Very fast for the money, and it feels like it's on the verge of letting lose when you are pushing it hard. It is a very refined vehicle. So refined, you don't feel the speed.

The overall winner in my list of cars, and best value, modding, etc, is the C5 Z! Don't get me wrong, I loved all the cars on my list, but the C5 Z is just a blast to drive.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

I've owned a '00 Z28 and a 98 C5. The vette is definitely more refined. The vette interior wise isn't as cheap. The buttons, turn signal stalk etc are of better quality. Overall it's a better built car. With that said, now that the 'vette is gone(and missed) I'll be looking for a LS1 WS6 next summer. I feel more comfortable driving a Fbody. I personally like driving a solid rear axle car better than the IRS(I'm sure I'll catch crap for that).

Is the 'vette a better built car? Yes...but my personal preference is a Fbody unless I was able to afford a LS3 C6(which isn't happening any time soon lol)
Old 11-23-2008, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

well i have a 2002 ss stock and ive tried several times to trade but just couldnt do it love driving it i have a 500 + rwhp 04 C5 and a 07 Z06 and i hate to say it but i have more fun driving the ss get races all the time and the ttops r easier to take of vs the C5s top,,,,,
Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

well as a new proud c6 corvette owner (by a few days) i went from a 2000 Trans Am WS6.
I did some minor mods to it...and over the years i learned a lot and developed a "eye" for what i personally think is tasteful, and what mods do what etc. I knew a lot about my car because i spent a lot of time researching mods and how to properly execute them Well, now rrecently buying a corvette...im finding myself asking the same questions from when i first got the TA. What exhuast sounds best? what rims look good and what is ricey? I feel like im learning all over again from scratch...its fun and exciting because its a newer car and i dont feel like i have to worry about fixing it every other month...i LOVE it.
If i ever get maried and have a kid...his first beater will be an 84 firebird like me...then an LS1 then maybe by then he will have the sweet tooth for a vette like his old man
Hope this answers the question.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

I went from a '98 T/A to '94 Z28 to '99 T/A with cam/bolt-ons and 427 RWHP before getting my first vette, the '02 C5 Z06. I think the C5Z bodylines are sexy as hell and I LOVE the electron blue color. The interior is better on the vette but not by a whole lot. The Z06 in stock form doesn't feel faster than my T/A was but I bet they're pretty darn close in the 1/4 and that's with the Z being stock and the T/A having a bunch of mods. Oh and the handling is vette hands down...the T/A was a pig in comparison and my Z takes curves like it's on rails.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
What did you have first, and what did you go to/have now?
I currently own both since new but had the Z28 first of course.
I love both cars and each one has it's own merits.

Quick Reply: For anyone who has owned an F-Body and a Vette...