Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

quaffie

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quaffie

Looking for feedback if the Quaffie setup is worth the extra bucks. Particular use will be street/road racing. Corvette ZO6/TR6060/3.42 gear. Can this be installed with the factory set up or do you need to upgrade externals/shafts/etc. And if you guys know who might have the best price on these.
Dave
Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

Default quaffie

The Quaife unit is not cheap but it sure is a lot better than burning up rear end clutch packs. If you have the money to spend, the next time you have your rear diff out of the car for a rebuilt, I would seriously consider installing a Quaife unit in place of the clutch packs. I know that DTE, RPM, and Unitrax all build C5 diffs with the quaife unit.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get it, and call it a day. Just practice with it though, it's very different from a clutch type. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Teching In

THis is new territory for me, pretty much a novice on rear end tech.
How is it differerent from a clutch pack and if somewhere down the line i decide to change gears from 3.42 to 3.73 do i have to change the quaffie unit.
Do guys run the quaffie in the automatics also.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
DBN
TECH Enthusiast

Default quaffie

Originally Posted by djZ06
THis is new territory for me, pretty much a novice on rear end tech.
How is it differerent from a clutch pack and if somewhere down the line i decide to change gears from 3.42 to 3.73 do i have to change the quaffie unit.
Do guys run the quaffie in the automatics also.
The quaife unit replaces the clutch packs. Therefore it is impossible to burn them up with a one-wheel burnout or tire spin coming out of a corner. This will prolong the life of the rear diff fluid as it is not contaminated from clutch material. Changing gear raitos will not affect the quaife unit. It will not need to be replaced. I run my DTE stage 5 with my level 5 A4 transmission.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Quaife does make the car perform different on the track, what the quaife does is sences the torque on the unloaded (inside) wheel (on a right hand turn it would be the RR tire), that is how it determines how much torque to put to each wheel. The Quaife actually helps the car turn quicker, but there are two draw backs to the Quaife, the first one is that if you would lift the inside wheel it will transfer all of the power to the outside wheel and more than likely you will spin, since it's not common to lift the inside wheel I wouldn't worry about that too much. However if you really liked clipping the rumble strips you may want to back off that a bit.
The second issue is that under heavy braking the rear end will feel loose, since there is now power going through the Quaife under hard braking it gets a little confused and the back end will feel a little light, this will go away as soon as you get back onto the throttle, but it takes a little getting used to.
If you have adjustable suspension you will more than likely have to re-tune the car for the Quaife, it makes that big of a differance, chassis tuning is all about balance and the Quaife definatly changes that a little bit. Hope this helps. I would recommend DTE for the Quaife units they have them on the shelf and have spent some time tuning them.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^

This diff works with transmitted power.

I imagine by now there are a number of people using them.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Teching In

how do you tune a differential?
how does a differential upset the suspension geometry while braking? i doubt the car will become unsettled, because of unloading the differential.
i am not experienced with quaife unit, but the last i checked, weight transfer is what causes suspension change. your already braking, so the weight is already been moved , how the differential make it feel loose?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

68protouring454,

The Quaife is different from clutch-types. When braking, the rear naturally becomes unloaded and the quaife has no input torque but it still constantly tweaks the torque bias meaning that the rear of the car isn't settled. Thus spring rates, shock tuning, downforce, and braking torque must be felt out.

Without chassis tuning, the car will squirm and you enter a turn unsettled and the *** end probably hanging out
Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Teching In

ok, so thats what i was thinking was the qauife would"hunt" when not on throttle, with just cintrifical force on it.
I have alot fo experience tuning, 3 links, tq arms, 4 links.
what are any other options that can be done to the rear,other then qauife?

what is the general thought, have high spring rates on the car to keep the weight transfer way down and use the tire, rather then susp to make the car hook?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

68protouring454,

ya, your spot on about the hunting thing.

I personally found that my prior brakes didn't help it as I never could get the torques right between the two sides. However, upgrading those in combination with 800 lb front springs helped to keep body dive under a roll and thus keep some more weight on the rear. Tires, can't say about that as I only use R-compounds at a minimum.

The only other option is an OS-Giken. They are from the import world, notably clutches. However, I don't know a thing about their diffs, as the top dog in those would be the old ATS now known as "Carbonetics"

Don't feel too bad about the Quaife, Viper guys have been using them for a while, and Porsche guys for years before us vettes.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like it would be a nice piece for drag racing.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Teching In

thanks, I think djz, want to try to have a package that comes alive on the track but not be too brutal to drive on the street.
800 lb front springs will be brutal on the street, however that said, he will need to keep the weight transfer to a minimum, which in the end helps make the car faster as it can't get out of shape to easily, which once knowing how to push it on a road course can happen so very easily, when going in deep.
thanks
jake
Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Ok, so far understood. But 800lb front springs sounds brutal. I was thinking more in line about 650lb max for both track/street. I could be wrong, I guess it will have to be determined on the final weight ratios of the build. This is not for my Z06, its for a 69.

68Protouring454- with your track and chassis experience, have you ever encountered anyone running this outside the typical vette/viper guys on your circuit.

Dave
Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

dave, the only cars i see and have experience with is track only cars with that kind of spring rate, however with a low enough roll center, front and rear, it could be made to be not so brutal, but i know it will be more then your ready for, but if you can drive, or i drove the car with r compound tires, it woul dbe heaven
Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Ok, so far understood. But 800lb front springs sounds brutal. I was thinking more in line about 650lb max for both track/street. I could be wrong, I guess it will have to be determined on the final weight ratios of the build. This is not for my Z06, its for a 69.

68Protouring454- with your track and chassis experience, have you ever encountered anyone running this outside the typical vette/viper guys on your circuit.

Dave
Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I find the 800/600 to be softer than my old T1 setup.

But it's very dependent upon your coilover setup. I.e. pfadt vs. lg vs. penske vs. moton.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Teching In

According to RPM they have not known anyone to change thier suspension geometry from clutch pack to quaffie.
I contacted Phadt today in regards to the Quaffie unit in Aarons vette to understand exactly what experience they have with there world record track car. The Quaffie will be only unstable only when, and if inner wheel lift occurs but so will any open diff or posi. As far as breaking hard into the corners when the unit is so called "hunting" it still will bias torgue correctly. In regards to tuning thier suspension differently from a clutch pack unit, they have done no changes considering the build intent was to run the quaffie from day one.
Dave
Old 12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess mileage will vary. In iteration 1 I was full T1 spec but I had some shitty wilwood brake kit; which never could get the proper torque between the sides. When I ditched the T1 to go Moton, I upgraded the brakes as well. I don't have the hunt aspect which is probably related instead to the prior brakes.

Come to think of it, that makes sense. My old Porsches never did have this hunt aspect.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djZ06

Dave
Just my 2c. as my track vette had a quaife...you get used to it. Driving mid apex under power out of a corner is so much more stable(less squirly than clutched) not too mention already what has been stated, durability.

If you have problems adapting, just dial in more rear brake bias...for me, I like more than most as I enjoy a flater more neutral car position...just be careful the first time you do this.

Quick Reply: quaffie