Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

XLR Tranny swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XLR Tranny swap?

So the XLR is based off the vette. Various parts are interchangeable. Suspension. exhaust. etc. Same frame/chassis? I want an XLR so bad but refuse to drive an auto. Does the corvette transmission bolt in with the exception of a custom bell housing and re-flash?
Whats involved?

what fits?

what has to be modded?

Anyone know of one completed?

can you share a link?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

no one? TTT........ i wish something other than old men could afford these cars i cant find any performance oriented owners!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

You'd be better off asking this in an XLR forum. I've owned three Vettes and know nothing about the XLR other than it uses the Vette as a base. The engines are different, so who's to say the transmissions are even interchangeable? And you would definitely need a different computer tune. They don't offer an XLR in a manual transmission, so you're asking for trouble since there isn't a factory tune you could leverage in the conversion process.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ ive taken into account all of that. A completely custom full reflash is what im going to have to do. I have joined three different foums, all those guys are old no one knows anything about performance parts on those forums, ive been trying to get an answer for the last month or two. What really urks me is once i read a magazine article where they did this and said it wasnt hard to do but i wasnt interested in XLR's then so i didnt pay attention!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I searched and searched, probably like you did, and I came up with nothing. But one thing I learned about even the supercharged XLR-V, I would much rather have my '08 Z06. And it already has a manual trans.

The only thing appealing about the XLR-V to me is the hard top convertible. It's a much heavier car. If I get a bug about open-air driving, it's still cheaper to add a targa conversion than it would be to buy a $100K Caddy and then swap drivetrains. Or I've even seen C6 Z06 convertible conversions (yes, a real Z06 converted to a vert, not a vert converted to a Z06).

But good luck with your search. If that's what you want, don't give up. And when you make it happen, be sure to post a nice write-up of the process so others like you don't have to spend months searching for the answers.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have always liked the XLR, but for the price there are a lot better options. However, on a local car lot, they have one for only $22,000. Thats a bargain, even now. And there are a ton i like about them. Ive always wanted a true weekend cruiser. Take the top down and blast off you know? But i love the design, the EXCLUSIVITY seeing how there may be one in town. But there are at least 25 C6 ZO6's and if your talking c5, there are probably 500. But XLRs? Theres one pewter one and everyone knows it. And accross the birdge, in the next town, theres one black one. And you know what? Every XLR ive ever seen is stock. So i would love to have one with custom rims, exhaust, lowered. theres a company that makes a fender and body kit. Everyones heads would turn. But i have always wanted one. Maybe an auto wouldnt be so bad. Afterall, i have my WS6 which is getting turbocharged in the next month. myy DD Kia is a stick, maybe the auto would do fine. But then again open air and gear shifting go hand in hand.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Theres a lady that lives where i do, and she has a black one. shes put 20's on it and that thing looks BADASS! ive always liked them to, and every time i pass her she looks at my vette and i look at her XLR. Mna i love that car. just puutin my 2 cents in, sorry.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Wheels are lame on this one, but the cars are cool:

They use the Northstar engine. I'm guessing if you would spend $10G's you could find someone to change the trans for you.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

No doubt they're good looking cars (with the right wheels, of course). For $22K, I'd definitely entertain the possibility of owning one. But right now there's only room for one 2-seater in my garage. Considering GM already announced the cancellation of the XLR and XLR-V, get one while you can. It may be a collectible some day.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default old thread returns to life!!

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I have always liked the XLR, but for the price there are a lot better options. However, on a local car lot, they have one for only $22,000. Thats a bargain, even now. And there are a ton i like about them. Ive always wanted a true weekend cruiser. Take the top down and blast off you know? But i love the design, the EXCLUSIVITY seeing how there may be one in town. But there are at least 25 C6 ZO6's and if your talking c5, there are probably 500. But XLRs? Theres one pewter one and everyone knows it. And accross the birdge, in the next town, theres one black one. And you know what? Every XLR ive ever seen is stock. So i would love to have one with custom rims, exhaust, lowered. theres a company that makes a fender and body kit. Everyones heads would turn. But i have always wanted one. Maybe an auto wouldnt be so bad. Afterall, i have my WS6 which is getting turbocharged in the next month. myy DD Kia is a stick, maybe the auto would do fine. But then again open air and gear shifting go hand in hand.
Evil, are you in NRH? If so thats my pewter XLR and the people that own that black one used to be customers of mine. If your from the area you have probably seen my EB TT C5Z06 as well. Did you finish the WS6?
Lemme know if you are in NRH
Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking about it too, but I just don't want an auto. If a TR6060 or T56 can be put in, and an LSx can be bolted up, I'd love to have one.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default Just

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I've been thinking about it too, but I just don't want an auto. If a TR6060 or T56 can be put in, and an LSx can be bolted up, I'd love to have one.
Man do what I do....have your fast car (02 Ysi SC Z06), your PIMP car (XLR) and your man ride (Lifted H2 w/37" tires) and you are good to go. Then its all a matter of how you feel that day. LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HAHA... That'd be all good if I had the money and room for all them toys. Believe me, I have a list of cars I'd love to have.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmoody66
Evil, are you in NRH? If so thats my pewter XLR and the people that own that black one used to be customers of mine. If your from the area you have probably seen my EB TT C5Z06 as well. Did you finish the WS6?
Lemme know if you are in NRH
WOW almost a year ago to date lol!! No im in Yuba City, north of Sacramento Ca by about 25 miles. I havent done anything to the WS6, not even drive it sadly. When i bought the car, i paid cash and had the car shipped. Never got the pink slip. Legal battle began. Now its al wrapped up, im fixing the few things on the car that it needed when i bought it 3 years ago. Soon ill be bale to drive it And after that, there will be boost and lots of other things. Ive been working on it, and customizing it, but not so much. Like things that could be taken off easily if the legal battle ended up meaning i had to give the car back (like if i got my money returned). I didnt want that ******* getting a bunch of extra stuff becuase i couldnt take it off the car you know? It was tough not to do the things i wanted to do, but i had to be smart. It was even tougher to walk past a beautiful arctic white LT1 WS6 everyday and get into a KIA.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM

I sent Mallet Cars an email inquiry about the possibility of converting an XLR to standard transmission. Perhaps possible with the new ATS/CTS manual?
Old 07-29-2016, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Simple.

Remove from engine back, attach manual driveline from engine back. Add the corvette pedal and hydraulics... It would probably be 10 to 15K to have a shop do it,...you could probably do it yourself for about 6k or so. Don't forget the editing part to avoid codes.

Always wanted to do a LS9 driveline in one, make the roof a fixed roof, mini tub it, and do some ZR1 like fender flares.

Quick Reply: XLR Tranny swap?