Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Street tune vs Dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Street tune vs Dyno tune?

I have a question for you guys (also posted this on CF) and I pretty much know the answer but some of you guys help make points that normally wouldn't come up.

I need to have my car tuned since the heads/FAST and the local shop Horsepower Sales in Pompano is the only place I trust but they only have time to do a street tune @ $350. Long story.

I had my KB Cobra street tuned (dyno was broken) as well with a wideband and it ran amazing, trapped 133mph but I never had a rwhp number to argue about on the internet, that's the only disadvantage I can think of. Anybody know another trusted LSX tuner/shop in South FL?
What do you guys think? Some of you guys tune like this correct?

Jamie, Doug where you guys at? I trust your judgement.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno tuning just corrects the upper range of the cars spectrum, unless you have a load range dyno, ie Mustang. It can't compensate for actual driving conditions. I personally do all tuning on the street and then throw it on the dyno to see if there is any upper rpm improvement to be made. That way the car is user friendly in all ranges.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Dyno tuning just corrects the upper range of the cars spectrum, unless you have a load range dyno, ie Mustang. It can't compensate for actual driving conditions. I personally do all tuning on the street and then throw it on the dyno to see if there is any upper rpm improvement to be made. That way the car is user friendly in all ranges.
Thank you sir. How do you monitor afr? The tuner on my Cobra had a wideband 02 and a laptop in my car while we drove around. It can't be done correctly without a wb 02 installed for street driving correct? I have a feeling they are planning on hooking up HP and then just driving around....I will have to get that cleared up I guess. Do you think I am leaving a mph or 2 from my trap on the table with only street tuning?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

My first tune which was done by a well known LSx tuner many years ago (05)consisted of a dyno tune and then when the tune was done we went out on the street made a few quick pulls and that was that. After the result of that tune (over time) and going to another tuner that I'am happy with, that shop does the same process.

I would prefer doing both, however; if I had to choose I would go with a street tune. A dyno is a great tool and it can compensate for a lot of things but not everthing. My car has had temporary tunes in it that have been accomplished via the street and they performed very well as did the car in a result from that. I have a wideband in my car and so did the tuner on his laptop and both read the ratio. I think there could be a difference in output with a street tune though that could cost you and you would acheive that on the dyno. On a small scale of course.

My $0.02.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by AlexLs1
My first tune which was done by a well known LSx tuner many years ago (05)consisted of a dyno tune and then when the tune was done we went out on the street made a few quick pulls and that was that. After the result of that tune (over time) and going to another tuner that I'am happy with, that shop does the same process.

I would prefer doing both, however; if I had to choose I would go with a street tune. A dyno is a great tool and it can compensate for a lot of things but not everthing. My car has had temporary tunes in it that have been accomplished via the street and they performed very well as did the car in a result from that. I have a wideband in my car and so did the tuner on his laptop and both read the ratio. I think there could be a difference in output with a street tune though that could cost you and you would acheive that on the dyno. On a small scale of course.

My $0.02.
Thanks man, that's what I am afraid of. I don't want to sacrafice any power on the top, which is where street tuning will have a problem dialing in 100%. They would have to pull the car through 4th gear ( I think) on the street to nail it. Ouch.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I get my H/C installed its getting a street tune
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Depends on what you are tuning. The more radical the combo the more I think it would be a good idea to make a couple pulls on the dynojet to get the timing and fueling in the zone.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're talking about a heads/cam setup, I'd think a street tune would suffice. Like PSJ said, with more radical setups - FI, etc - I'd prefer a street tune for driveability/part throttle tuning, and a dyno tune for the WOT tuning. On a dyno, the entire range and everything the car is doing is so much easier to monitor rather than having to worry about real world scenarios and traffic etc. Loads on the street vs the dyno shouldnt be as big of a concern if we're talking about NA with a 6 speed.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Thank you sir. How do you monitor afr? The tuner on my Cobra had a wideband 02 and a laptop in my car while we drove around. It can't be done correctly without a wb 02 installed for street driving correct? I have a feeling they are planning on hooking up HP and then just driving around....I will have to get that cleared up I guess. Do you think I am leaving a mph or 2 from my trap on the table with only street tuning?

I've got dual LC1's in my Vette, because I run OLSD (Open Loop Speed Density) and have no MAF or O2 sensors on my car.

Honestly it depends on to many variables for an answer to the street only tune. The car could love timing on the street but hate it on the track/dyno.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Depends on what you are tuning. The more radical the combo the more I think it would be a good idea to make a couple pulls on the dynojet to get the timing and fueling in the zone.
You have alot of posts.

I need to tune the PowrMAF as well and I wonder if they are capable with HP tuners and a street tune. It shouldn't be very difficult.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have the room and a routine combo, I like a street tune better if you have a portable wideband. Because of space, I run through third gear and some of 4th. It's very rare that I can run through 4th so having the car dyno tuned in 4th is not as helpful as it might seem.

The dyno is useful for seeing whether there is an advantage as you begin to push timing higher or lean the car. If you are tuning a fairly established H&C package or just bolt-ons, you pretty much know what to target in terms of timing and AFR. If you are experimenting with a newly released part or a radically different combo, the dyno is helpful for experimenting.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a question for you guys (also posted this on CF) and I pretty much know the answer but some of you guys help make points that normally wouldn't come up.

I need to have my car tuned since the heads/FAST and the local shop Horsepower Sales in Pompano is the only place I trust but they only have time to do a street tune @ $350. Long story.

I had my KB Cobra street tuned (dyno was broken) as well with a wideband and it ran amazing, trapped 133mph but I never had a rwhp number to argue about on the internet, that's the only disadvantage I can think of. Anybody know another trusted LSX tuner/shop in South FL?

"only place you trust"... thats gay. Shoulda gave me a call, could have used the extra cash, and I would have done a neat/clean job on your car.

That said.... I know all the guys at HP well,...they're my friends, and they do great work. So, I have nothing to say negative about them.

But,...I can get you a DYNO tune,...with EXCELLENT driveability,...for less a less price then that. My tune guy spends a long time with the car getting driveability perfect,...then, and only then, do we do some WOT pulls.

You know my number,...either text or call me if your interested. You wouldn't be dissapointed. Just have Jeremy finish the install,..and pass on the street tune. Your call.

-j
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
If you have the room and a routine combo, I like a street tune better if you have a portable wideband. Because of space, I run through third gear and some of 4th. It's very rare that I can run through 4th so having the car dyno tuned in 4th is not as helpful as it might seem.

The dyno is useful for seeing whether there is an advantage as you begin to push timing higher or lean the car. If you are tuning a fairly established H&C package or just bolt-ons, you pretty much know what to target in terms of timing and AFR. If you are experimenting with a newly released part or a radically different combo, the dyno is helpful for experimenting.
Agreed.. i've always tuned all my stuff, as well as many others on the street/track.. but around here we don't have a good dyno right now.. the place with a Dynojet went out of business and another place with a Mustang Dyno has had tons of problems with it reading right so I don't think its a good option as of now. Its nice to see what a car makes, and if you can improve on hp/tq numbers, but to someone like me who is a big drag racer the track is where its at.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
"only place you trust"... thats gay. Shoulda gave me a call, could have used the extra cash, and I would have done a neat/clean job on your car.

That said.... I know all the guys at HP well,...they're my friends, and they do great work. So, I have nothing to say negative about them.

But,...I can get you a DYNO tune,...with EXCELLENT driveability,...for less a less price then that. My tune guy spends a long time with the car getting driveability perfect,...then, and only then, do we do some WOT pulls.

You know my number,...either text or call me if your interested. You wouldn't be dissapointed. Just have Jeremy finish the install,..and pass on the street tune. Your call.

-j

Like I would have it done without talking with you.....

I will call you tomorrow. I was waiting for you to show man, you must be busy these days.

What are you talking about...." Jeremy finish the install " ??
Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I would have it done without talking with you.....

I will call you tomorrow. I was waiting for you to show man, you must be busy these days.

What are you talking about...." Jeremy finish the install " ??

...I misread...was thinking you were doing the cam/heads and cam install at this time.

Good talking to you man. I've been weird bust lately, not soo much good busy. If that makes any sense. No homo for the gay readers.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks man, that's what I am afraid of. I don't want to sacrafice any power on the top, which is where street tuning will have a problem dialing in 100%. They would have to pull the car through 4th gear ( I think) on the street to nail it. Ouch.
What's wrong with that?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can never get a street tune as good as a constant speed tuned car, period. Constant speed tune removed all those 'wall fills' your computer changes when letting off, tip-in, rpm change happen that you just cant avoid when street tuning... these are all transient changes that mess with and add erroneous data to your histogram logging. As for the timing comment, I would disagree on an eddy current dyno which accounts for street coefficient etc. New dyno jets have this ability as well, if there is any slight differences and the tune is good, very little adjustment is required by the ECM as far as timing goes.
Bottom line, you can NOT beat the accuracy of Constant speed dyno tuning for VE, drivability range and idle and safety on top of all that.

I thought I would pull this out of the boneyard to mention that.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Launching!

On a lower hp motor a street tune is fine. I would want that anyway as part of the the dyno tune. Why is to make sure the dam thing will run as it did befor it was tuned by whom ever. The WOT tune is the easy part of a tuner job if he is good at all. Getting it to act on the street as it did befor he plays with it is the hard job. Plus all the dyno is going to do is tell you what hp you have at the rear wheels. Get a good shop to do this for you man.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

I am no tuner but my tuner always said

"street tune is the most important. Street tune sets up how your drive ability is how well street mannered it is and also the tuner can take into accountability your driving style. While the dyno is a great place to tweak street tune will be the only place you are going to get a true tune."
Old 07-17-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02*C5
I am no tuner but my tuner always said

"street tune is the most important. Street tune sets up how your drive ability is how well street mannered it is and also the tuner can take into accountability your driving style. While the dyno is a great place to tweak street tune will be the only place you are going to get a true tune."
Completely disagree!
Are you tuning the TRUE potential of the motor or tuning in Variances of RPM (and all other sensors)on the street which vary. If you look at the actual operation of the ECM and how calculations are made, street tunes cause skews with transients. RPM is a transient change itself. Transients are now embedded in the tuners feedback on what to adjust... which is then tuned in. (Small variance you will always be chasing in your 'street' tune...always.)
I want the ENGINE to be at its best... not tuning in road changes, wind, etc. those change, engine pumping efficiency does not.

Steady state tuning can not be topped by any street tune, end of story.

Driving style? sounds like someone doesnt know what they are talking about. How does driving style change how you tune the ENGINE! lol...
So I push the petal slower, take corners faster and floor it in the rain, its tuned differently? Umm, no. Will my power be upped for me rather than someone who mashes on it? Again, clearly someone doesnt have a clue the operation of the ECM.
I hope you can see that statement just sounds ridiculous. Please buy your tuner a copy of the Calibrated Success DVD

Last edited by vmapper; 07-17-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Street tune vs Dyno tune?