Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

small bolt ons for a 05 vette to make an old man happy

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small bolt ons for a 05 vette to make an old man happy

well i went out to a car show with my grandpa last night with my T/A and on the way home i put about 3 cars on him from 40-110 and hes a little upset. hes asking me what to do to his all stock c 6 2005. i was thinking intake cat back and a tune he does not want to spend a whole lot of money so wondering what you guys think is the best bang for the buck with a car like that
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Those mods would be a good start. Is it an auto? If so the tune can help alot there.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

yup its an auto hes upset about the low end torque im sure its just the computer retarding the timing????? ive never looked into it before but wow are corvette parts expensive 2-3 times as much as f bodies damn... does anyone have any suggestions which exhaust is the best for the money in a cat back. i wanna talk him into long tubes is there a good full exhaust company for long tubes back?? are pretty much all intakes about the same they all seem to be the same to me.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all gonna depend on how much he wants to spend.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by khoward8509
yup its an auto hes upset about the low end torque im sure its just the computer retarding the timing????? ive never looked into it before but wow are corvette parts expensive 2-3 times as much as f bodies damn... does anyone have any suggestions which exhaust is the best for the money in a cat back. i wanna talk him into long tubes is there a good full exhaust company for long tubes back?? are pretty much all intakes about the same they all seem to be the same to me.
The thing is, the really good parts(Engine parts) are the same price as F-body parts. But you have to be able to install them yourself as a shop will charge corvette tax to install them
Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

looking to probably spend around 1500-2000
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by khoward8509
looking to probably spend around 1500-2000
Damn not much with that...13-1500 for nice axle back....1300-1800 nice lt's w/xpipe....3-400 lid...850 ish for an intake not to mention the tune and labor...They arent cheap You can go with cheaper parts but remember nice vette should only have the nicest parts
Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those cars have a crap load of retarded programming for the torque management system. CAI and a tune will do wonders for that car. The torque management system was designed to prevent you from breaking the already shitty rear end in the 05s, but it doesn't help at all. You'll break it either way if you launch hard on it (under stock power to boot!). So talk to Chuck Cow and have the car tuned. Also, look into the C6 version of the Vararam. I heard it works it's magic on C6s just as much as the C5s. If it's anything like my Vararam on my C5, it will make your G-pa crap himself.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Those cars have a crap load of retarded programming for the torque management system. CAI and a tune will do wonders for that car. The torque management system was designed to prevent you from breaking the already shitty rear end in the 05s, but it doesn't help at all. You'll break it either way if you launch hard on it (under stock power to boot!). So talk to Chuck Cow and have the car tuned. Also, look into the C6 version of the Vararam. I heard it works it's magic on C6s just as much as the C5s. If it's anything like my Vararam on my C5, it will make your G-pa crap himself.
The auto doesnt have to worry about the rear end issues as there isnt as much drive train shock.

I wouldnt let cow touch the car either. There is more than one thread here about his **** poor work and there have been many other threads on different forums about how bad he is.

As far as the mods the exhaust wont make any power. The headers/intake and tune are the way to go. Just find a used set on corvette forum or fleabay and you will save a lot of cash. Putting them in yourself is a breeze too.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile

I wouldnt let cow touch the car either. There is more than one thread here about his **** poor work and there have been many other threads on different forums about how bad he is.

he tuned my car and i had someone else tune it a few months later and they got 20 RWHP and about 20 RWTQ over chucks tune.

where are you located? maybe someone here will know a good tuner in your area.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

What mods do you have OP to put 3 cars on the Vette from 40-110?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
The auto doesnt have to worry about the rear end issues as there isnt as much drive train shock.

As far as the mods the exhaust wont make any power. The headers/intake and tune are the way to go. Just find a used set on corvette forum or fleabay and you will save a lot of cash. Putting them in yourself is a breeze too.
I have a friend that had Chuck tune his 2006 A6 with no issues whatsoever. The car runs great now. I also see that many people on CF have had great experiences with him. There's bound to be bad experiences with any tuner, I'm sure. But I wouldn't say don't go to him just because you've seen a couple threads (probably from the same people).

Originally Posted by dicky98z

he tuned my car and i had someone else tune it a few months later and they got 20 RWHP and about 20 RWTQ over chucks tune.

where are you located? maybe someone here will know a good tuner in your area.
Chuck's tunes are mail-order tunes. I can understand them not being perfect and not being the most you can get out of the car.

BTW, I had my car dyno tuned and they got 2HP out of my car. I'm not going to mention the shop's name. But they've apparently hired someone new to tune and maybe they'll get more power out of my car if I bring it back to them. I doubt I will. I'll likely be going to Haddad or Charlie next time.

Regardless, tuning makes a world of difference on LS2s. That's for sure.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Chuck's tunes are mail-order tunes. I can understand them not being perfect and not being the most you can get out of the car.

BTW, I had my car dyno tuned and they got 2HP out of my car. I'm not going to mention the shop's name. But they've apparently hired someone new to tune and maybe they'll get more power out of my car if I bring it back to them. I doubt I will. I'll likely be going to Haddad or Charlie next time.

Regardless, tuning makes a world of difference on LS2s. That's for sure.
chuck tuned my car in person

I have a friend that had Chuck tune his 2006 A6 with no issues whatsoever. The car runs great now. I also see that many people on CF have had great experiences with him. There's bound to be bad experiences with any tuner, I'm sure. But I wouldn't say don't go to him just because you've seen a couple threads (probably from the same people).
and you wont see any bad post of him on CF (if you do it will be gone soon) because the mods delete them. also im sure most people are happy with his tune if they dont ever have someone else look at it, i mean i was happy with mine until someone else looked at it and go me quite a bit more out of it.

Last edited by dicky98z; 10-03-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

ive got a 98 trans am with full bolt ons ls6 intake and cam.. i think i have him talked into going with a dynomax lt headers intake and a tune. xs power looked pretty good a guy pmed me about them but i didnt see anything for a c6 so im still looking into that as well. he doesnt want the car to be to loud either so it works out kinda well cuz the lt headers and highflow cats go through the stock mufflers so it wont be to loud for him. i plan on doing all the work for him it should be no problem especially since he just put in a hoist and so is my dad so that will make it all say nicer.. im located in southwest michigan ive been talking to a guy out of ohio who runs custom tuning and i know of livenois in detroit i think he will be happy with whatever he does he hates the doggy low end this should wake it up a little bit..
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

has anyone ever heard of oxb racing sports header system ive never heard of them just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? also wondering when you put a header and highflow cat exhaust on does that bolt up to the stock mufflers with no issues?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dicky98z
chuck tuned my car in person

and you wont see any bad post of him on CF (if you do it will be gone soon) because the mods delete them. also im sure most people are happy with his tune if they dont ever have someone else look at it, i mean i was happy with mine until someone else looked at it and go me quite a bit more out of it.
Fair enough. You're probably right.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Vararam, tune, and lg longtubes, catback (borla,corsa, magnaflow) in my opinion. I have seen auto vettes make good power on a tune alone
Old 10-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Change the rear end gears and get a tune all the difference in the world.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

A lot of people have said it here but I would say with that much cash get a used Varam intake, some OBX long tube headers (I know people might critisize me for that but they save you a bunch of cash and are just as good as most LTs), 160 degree thermostat, get the throttle body ported for about 50 bucks and a good tune and that will make the car a lot more fun for your grandpa and be relatively inexpensive if you do most of the work. Plus If your grandpa sees you do the work on his car that would make him really happy that his grandson is helping him out.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a used air intake and a used catback. If you can install the parts, it will save him a ton. You can get a nice used catback for $600 and an intake for $200 or so. Look over on the FS section of corvetteforum.com. If you can get headers, then yes by all means go for it. C5's and C6's are easy to install this stuff. Also go for the tune, I would really recommend Jeremy Formato if he goes to your area. fasterproms.com and is a sponsor on here.

Quick Reply: small bolt ons for a 05 vette to make an old man happy