Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

First time in two years.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default First time in two years.

....give or take, that I have driven my Corvette. Today, I did. I put it through some good driveability tests. Stop and go traffic, highways,...etc. Car stayed mostly at 190-196 degrees,....not a cent more, stock radiator. Mostly at the lower portion of that(190). It was nice out, so windows stayed down. The fuel pump is super loud but you get kinda used to it....even with the windows up, not so bad. Didn't even try radio, which woulda drowned out the sound probably. Over all, I am happy. It has a base tune in the car, based off an old tune, from my old setup but, with some tweaks to run larger injectors, e85, etc. Big thanks to Johan and MikeL at Diablosport for they're time and effort in the vehicle. It's greatly appreciated. Especially since we're trying to get the car ready for a drag event and a road course event NEXT weekend. lol, nothing like a shotgun break in.

Oh, and speaking of E85, it felt BAD AS HELL to be able to actually pull up to the fuel station and put fuel into the car, and not a 5 gallon gas tank.

All in all, i'm super excited,...I rented a garage to keep the car down here, so it looks like I am gonna have to start driving it,....alot. Gonna need to buy an HD gopro now.

Can't wait to upload some vids in the next coming weeks. Thank you to all that have helped me get it together...burning the midnight oil.

Lookout world.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Drove it last night, doing more data logging and trying out new tunes(thank you diablosport) which is working great. I noted that at night ....cruising, I'm at 181degrees on my stock radiator...and 187 at idle-dead stops. Very stoked about that. Gonna go wash the space dust off now I think from being on the moon the last two years.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Awesome.

It was great to see that thing pulling into my driveway under its own power, and it smelled good too

Shouldn't take too much to get it dialed in from here, see if you can figure out whats up with the speedo and MAF.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

fo-sho.

Ordered a stainless fuel filter cartridge today from racepartsolutions, should be here tomorrow, when i'm installing that, I will look for unplugged speedo input.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

FYI...the solid control arm bushings with coilovers and 295 fronts,...335 rears.....HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The car handles better and more responsive then anything I have driven other then a shifter car. WOW. And I haven't even installed the uppers yet. Highly recommend them so far. No creaks, or weirdness but, I will tell you I need to get an alignment....cause my car is sitting all cambered out looking like some sort of roadrace GT car. If only it had a chin spoiler....

Anywho...The car is ******* sick. Getting the stamp of approval. .....kinks being worked out...the laundry list goes..

1)change fuel filters, replace one paper with stainless....thank you raceparts(hopefully I can change that after work tomorrow)

2)Speedo isn't working...gay...probably unplugged on trans/diff area...i'll hope it's that and I can tackle that tomorrow as well.

3)I have a MAF code...P0102....low frequency...never had that code till the new setup...it's not the maf, cause I have a few and swapped it and came back right away....even inhibited the car from starting once while "current". So, I need to diagnose that code,...which leads to #4...

4)The car breaks up....pretty narley...especially on throttle input...as in a leap from say 25% to 45% or more....it breaks up....air fuel is all over the ******* place....then you can feather it into boost,...then presto holyshitto it's accelerating pretty bad but I can't really go full throttle cause my stupid *** left my drag radials two hours north..so yeah,...fat chance in seeing what it's like in boost. Fuel pressure looks good, fuel pressure regulator seems to work... I have seen 75kpa...which is like 9-10psi I think according to data. Hoping my fuel filter clean and replacement(getting rid of one paper+1 stainless, I am going with two stainless filters).

5)Nexus boost gauge out. Gay. need to bust out power probe on it and see whats up.

6)upper A arms, all four, I need to change out factory rubber control arm bushings and replace with graphite ones,..or graphite appearing ones. Whatever. They're a nice add on. Then align.

7)I need a set of road race tires on all four corners...but,...I can't find RA1's anymore...I need 335's in read at least...who makes em? I'll have t buy two at a time.

8)something is up with the linkage,..little bastard is difficult to get into reverse every once in a while.....the car was always flawless with shifting prior to this build..so It has to be linkage. Maybe the alignment pin for the shifter,..and shift rod deal.

Other then that....lots of odds and ends that are not important or critical the the vehicles road going ability.....I never cared about anything other then function anyways other then the car being clean. Things like the center console,...the whole thing is cracked in a couple of places. I tried to fix,...it looked flawless for a while but, I think the car idling cracked it at the repaired seams. lol. I tried. But, that, I wanna do vacuum lines better, hard lines, etc. Whatever else pops up along the way. I gotta hook may HIDS back up too,..dammit.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

1 day before my fuel pump failed.

I have to remove pump,..send out, in meantime, Mike Delacruz in Vero Beach is going to make my aluminum catback for me while its in vero sitting. I'll keep you all posted in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a little surprised that you are still running a MAF with this build. You may have covered this before, but would you mind commenting on why you are keeping the MAF?

I was really interested to hear that your stock C5 radiator is adequate for street driving. I'm in the market for a new radiator/fan setup for my twin turbo build in a '69 Nova. I might just "borrow" the radiator from my C5 and see how it fits.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Chevy406
I'm a little surprised that you are still running a MAF with this build. You may have covered this before, but would you mind commenting on why you are keeping the MAF?

I was really interested to hear that your stock C5 radiator is adequate for street driving. I'm in the market for a new radiator/fan setup for my twin turbo build in a '69 Nova. I might just "borrow" the radiator from my C5 and see how it fits.
Nobody is set on keeping the MAF, it just has not had a chance to get strapped to the dyno since it has been running, its going to take some time to set up an SD tune properly
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

What Mike said.

Current update.....waiting on replacement fuel pump....in the meantime...I have everything we need to make a custom one off PTK aluminum catback. It's gonna be sick.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what size wheels do you have, did you fit the 335 with no issue? Im looking to put a 325 or 35 on my car.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. I'm glad to see things finally getting all finished up! Definitely want more updates!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds sick! Would love to see more pics/videos of it
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSXFORMULA99
what size wheels do you have, did you fit the 335 with no issue? Im looking to put a 325 or 35 on my car.
18x10.5 front, 18x12 rear. I did have to mini tub the car to get it to fit, also run coilovers.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Wow. I'm glad to see things finally getting all finished up! Definitely want more updates!
Thanks man. Almost there. Ordered carbon fiber, and lots of aluminum. Making an exhaust starting next week for the car,...should be interesting. Will keep everyone posted. Should be back/finished with exhaust in 2-3 weeks...after that, back on the street...then dyno.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
Sounds sick! Would love to see more pics/videos of it
Thanks player......keep watching, vids will flock in eventually.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Good stuff man! Now you need to run some of the cars in the area!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Good stuff man! Now you need to run some of the cars in the area!
Thanks dude. That's the plan for sure. Seems like everything is coming out of the wood works here, so yes, i need to represent. In due time.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Thanks dude. That's the plan for sure. Seems like everything is coming out of the wood works here, so yes, i need to represent. In due time.
I'm about to represent myself. Not many guys in my area play though.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice. Not the case here. I can name over 10-15 cars that are competition....another 20 that think they are. It's a cruel, humbling world down here in sofla. Seems everyone is 145mph plus these days.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry cuz when the tiefighters are done we'll come out swinging hard! People will recognize!!!!!

Quick Reply: First time in two years.