Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

steering lock recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering lock recall

whats up guys, i took my 2000 vette in for the recall, what exactly were they suppose to do? it still locks when i take the key out. i was under the impression that they eliminated that. thanks in advance, mitch.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

The recall is a bunch of crap (for the MN6). If you weren’t having a problem with the lock all they did was reprogram the ECM to make sure the car won’t run (the fuel is cut off) when the wheel is locked. In some years the program would allow the car to keep running if the lock malfunctioned and locked up. My car did this. I started the car but the lock did not unlock. Luckily I noticed this before I moved. Even if they replace a defective lock assembly, it will go bad again.

For automatic Vettes they disable the lock. This actually does fix the problem.

For MN6 cars the best thing to do is to get the CLB (column lock bypass). Sooner or later your column lock will malfunction and leave you stranded if you don’t have the CLB.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Teching In

The recall had been done last October and now the car has the "service cullom lock" coming on.The car runs fine but when you tap the axcelerator...the car stalls because the fuel get's cut off.It will start up but will cut the fuel if I touch the axcelerator I'm not sure the CLB will work for me.Does anyone think it will cure the problem I'm having?.
Originally Posted by MGorman
The recall is a bunch of crap (for the MN6). If you weren’t having a problem with the lock all they did was reprogram the ECM to make sure the car won’t run (the fuel is cut off) when the wheel is locked. In some years the program would allow the car to keep running if the lock malfunctioned and locked up. My car did this. I started the car but the lock did not unlock. Luckily I noticed this before I moved. Even if they replace a defective lock assembly, it will go bad again.

For automatic Vettes they disable the lock. This actually does fix the problem.

For MN6 cars the best thing to do is to get the CLB (column lock bypass). Sooner or later your column lock will malfunction and leave you stranded if you don’t have the CLB.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1240z
The recall had been done last October and now the car has the "service cullom lock" coming on.The car runs fine but when you tap the axcelerator...the car stalls because the fuel get's cut off.It will start up but will cut the fuel if I touch the axcelerator I'm not sure the CLB will work for me.Does anyone think it will cure the problem I'm having?.
First of all I would take it back to the dealer and make them fix it for free (including the tow). This is a well documented problem and a safety recall issue. At very least the repair performed in October should be subject to a one year warranty period.

The CLB will not work on a car that is experiencing a column lock malfunction. The CLB must be installed while the lock is in proper working condition.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a resistor they also install. It is black and if you take off the knee bolster under the steering wheel you should be able to see it. The problem with it is current levels, so it will cause the Column Lock to come on... If you take it out, and plug the harness back together your car should be back to normal. If it is an auto, they are suppose to remove the lock so it won't lock ever again anyways... The resistor is a pos...
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Teching In

I'll try that to see if that's the problem.I just got the car back home a few minutes ago because the deal would not fix it under the recall.They told me they want to replace the whole steering lock because the computer is telling the car the lock is on.They said it's not working correctly and need to be replaced.The steering lock doesnt even work when the key is removed.
Originally Posted by 98UltraZ
There is a resistor they also install. It is black and if you take off the knee bolster under the steering wheel you should be able to see it. The problem with it is current levels, so it will cause the Column Lock to come on... If you take it out, and plug the harness back together your car should be back to normal. If it is an auto, they are suppose to remove the lock so it won't lock ever again anyways... The resistor is a pos...
Old 07-25-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try that to see if that's the problem.I just got the car back home a few minutes ago because the deal would not fix it under the recall.They told me they want to replace the whole steering lock because the computer is telling the car the lock is on.They said it's not working correctly and need to be replaced.The steering lock doesnt even work when the key is removed.

If it has already had the recall done, this is probably the problem... Take off the knee bolster, and look around for a black box (might have foam wrapped around it...) There is a silver metal piece that supports the steering column, it might be sat on top of it... (depending on where the technician put it..) It is a black resistor box, and you should be able to follow the wires from each side... Remove it and plug the wires back in together.. PM me if you have any questions...
Old 07-26-2005, 06:10 AM
12 Second Club

Can you just detail the lock with LS1 edit ?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Teching In

You can if you have LS1 Edit programed.I have LS1 edit on my 94 RX7/LS1 but not on the 98 vette.I cant swap PCM's cause the motor I have in the RX7 is a 01 and no PCM can be interchangable with a 98.Car is still no running.
Originally Posted by PA Z06
Can you just detail the lock with LS1 edit ?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

You can if you have LS1 Edit programed.I have LS1 edit on my 94 RX7/LS1 but not on the 98 vette.I cant swap PCM's cause the motor I have in the RX7 is a 01 and no PCM can be interchangable with a 98.Car is still no running.
Thanks I just figure when i get tuned they can just delete and maybe save me some headaches down the road
Old 07-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Is this a problem on 2003 z06's as well? I am curious since I have one being delivered to my home today. Thanks

Quick Reply: steering lock recall