Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Midlife crisis + me getting an LS1 = C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Midlife crisis + me getting an LS1 = C6 Z06

Hey, i recently bought my 98 Z28 M6 and my stepdad really liked it and he cant stand me having a faster car than him, so the other day him and my mom went looking for cars to get. They decided that they want a Corvette. My mom wants a 2005 C6 vert, but my stepdad insists on getting a 2006 Z06. The only problem is that when they went to the dealerships to look at one, they didnt have any Z06s there (obviously) and the salesman said that Chevy is only building 5000 of them and they are all already sold. Is this true? If not, then how can i help them find a Z06? If it is true then i think Chevy is making a big mistake in sales.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

nobody knows?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Livin La Vida Goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure on how many 06 Z06's they will build but you will be able to find them soon enough.(2-4 weeks)

You will probablly pay5-20K over sticker if you didn't order one early through a dealer.

They are not all pre sold like the dealer told you.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm, is there any way to order one now?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

go over to Corvetteforum.com and see if any of their sponsor dealers have the ability to order them. From what I heard, GM is only going to allow dealerships that had the highest Corvette sales and highest GM Parts sales to order 2 each.

Another option might be to buy a regular C6 coupe or convertible and drop it off at one of our vendors like MTI for their "Devilray 427" package. It also carries a warranty, and will be quicker than a stock Z06 for about the same price.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Livin La Vida Goat

You could probablly order one but it will be 6months plus before delivery.

Most dealerships have used up there allocations.Some for orders and some for the showrooms.(People are going to get bent over on showroom cars for the first 6mo)

Has your dad ever owned a car with that much power before?The Standard C6 still runs good and will be way more driver friendly.

The New Z06 will be a car that you would only want to drive on nice days with no distractions.(Cell phone,Coffee,etc..)
Old 08-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

there is a dealership in florida that is getting 4 of them. 3 have already sold. the 3rd one that was sold, was sold to a c5 owner. he stated that he is getting his at sticker!!. do a search at corvetteforum.com in the c5 general section!!
Old 08-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

I say if your Dad has the $$$ & can afford at least $65K, then hell yea he should get a C6 Z06. The C6 Z06 looks better than a C6 Coupe/Vert & of course better performance. As far as your StepDad handling the power, I assume the C6 Z06 will have Active Handling & Traction Control? If so, then he should not have a problem. If we were talking about a Viper [does not have AHS], then I'd say he better be an experienced driver.

Yes, do a search/research on Corvette Forum - C6 Discussion for more info on ordering a C6 Z06. I seriously doubt all the order list are closed. Yet, I can imagine the waiting list will be long.

Good luck... the C6 Z06 rocks! & Long live the FBody!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Already have ordered 18..going to order more next week..contact me if your interested..
Old 08-24-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Corvetteforum will be your best resource....been doing my own research.

Results:

There are some CF forum dealers that will sell all their Z06's at MSRP. Some of the "stealerships" are getting their first Z06's in soon and will NOT sell them until someone will give them the infamous "market adjustment" price. If your stepdad wants one, he will be able to get one at MSRP if he talks to the right dealer OR if he is patient.

Good luck in your search and make sure to post up pics when he gets it....

BTW...don't ever listen to a salesman about what GM is doing. They don't know what the **** they are talkin' about half the time. He just wanted to sell you the 05 C6's on the lot, and that is why he said you can't get one.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Next Phase
Corvetteforum will be your best resource....been doing my own research.

Results:

There are some CF forum dealers that will sell all their Z06's at MSRP. Some of the "stealerships" are getting their first Z06's in soon and will NOT sell them until someone will give them the infamous "market adjustment" price. If your stepdad wants one, he will be able to get one at MSRP if he talks to the right dealer OR if he is patient.

Good luck in your search and make sure to post up pics when he gets it....

BTW...don't ever listen to a salesman about what GM is doing. They don't know what the **** they are talkin' about half the time. He just wanted to sell you the 05 C6's on the lot, and that is why he said you can't get one.

I beleive you are wrong sir..if you want to know something about a Corvette please ask me..I have 43 years experience...we sell 40 new Vettes a month..I have been a dealer rep on Z06vette.com for a few years.. if you are doing research on a Z06 that is the best forum to use..we will have the new car here in a couple of weeks..when GM releases them from quality control..I have 18 in the order system already..
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
Hey, i recently bought my 98 Z28 M6 and my stepdad really liked it and he cant stand me having a faster car than him, so the other day him and my mom went looking for cars to get. They decided that they want a Corvette. My mom wants a 2005 C6 vert, but my stepdad insists on getting a 2006 Z06. The only problem is that when they went to the dealerships to look at one, they didnt have any Z06s there (obviously) and the salesman said that Chevy is only building 5000 of them and they are all already sold. Is this true? If not, then how can i help them find a Z06? If it is true then i think Chevy is making a big mistake in sales.
You won't see a c6 zo6 till next month and the going price has been around $75K according to my friends at the corvette forum.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
You won't see a c6 zo6 till next month and the going price has been around $75K according to my friends at the corvette forum.
Not exactly

NCM eNews - June 13, 2005

Chevy announces Corvette Z06 0-60 mph time and base price

The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition.”

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.” The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function.

Corvette Z06 features include:

• LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components

• 505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm

• 470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm

• 6-speed manual transmission

• 7000 rpm redline

• Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle

• Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors

• Dry-sump engine lubrication system

• Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center

• Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler

• Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler

For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow tintcoat and Black exterior colors.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003

You have been given incorrect information sir..list price with every option available and in a premium color with a National Corvette Museum Delivery is $72835..the car starts out a $65800..I have cars that are built and in quality control..in my eariler post I said they would be in stock within a couple of weeks..ie the first week in Sept...if you want Z06 info go to Z06vette.com..it is the most informative forum concering the Z06 on the net..or contact me I will be happy to share any information you are seeking with you..

Last edited by slt200mph; 08-25-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

That salemsman can blow that BS out his ***.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by TheLSwon
Why the hate
Old 08-25-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheLSwon

Your not a very friendly person are you??? If it is true information it is not BS sir..I hope you have a better day today than you did yesterday..

I assume that "salemsman"= salesman
Old 08-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Your not a very friendly person are you??? If it is true information it is not BS sir..I hope you have a better day today than you did yesterday..

I assume that "salemsman"= salesman
I don't know you, however I appreciate your tact & professionalism.

Vette Salesman

Previous Rude LS1Tech Post
Old 08-28-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MagRedC5
I don't know you, however I appreciate your tact & professionalism.

Vette Salesman

Previous Rude LS1Tech Post

Thank you for the kind words sir..

PS USMC 66,67,& 68...Bravo 1\3 Vietnam 67 & 68..Semper Fi
Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Default Getting ours very soon at MSRP, already drove it!

We were the FIRST customers IN THE WORLD to watch their C6 Z06 be produced at the plant! No lie!! How cool is that?!?! Kevin at the plant is the nicest guy you would ever want to meet and took us on a personal tour of the plant. My wife did the first start and drove it off the line! It was only about 40 feet, but hey - SHE DROVE MY NEW C6 Z06 ! ! ! !
We got there at 7:30 AM last Tuesday and followed our car through from fluid fill to first start. We didn't get done until about 11:00. Several regular tours came and went as we hung around, asked questions, and watched a bunch of other Z06's (and regular coupes and verts) get built. We saw every stage of assembly from bare single frame rails to completed cars getting water-tested. It was quite an experience. No cameras are allowed in the plant. Here's some photo's that Kevin took for us of our car:
PICS
Now we just wait for Museum Delivery in another 1-3 weeks.