Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Just VENTING....

Old 11-08-2005, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just VENTING....

first off I know what forum were on.....And I am in no way trying to put down any ones car....

I just feel that lots of other people try to put ours down....

I guess thats just the way it is when your considered the measuring stick for performance.....

Well here goes....

Ill start with the Fbody guys....They always want to say that the F body is just as fast as a C5.....

And in some cases it is....

YES YOU WILL HAVE F BODYS THAT RUN LOW 13'S....

The differance is that the NORMAL F body mn6 with 300 rwhp BONE STOCK is gonna do 0-60 mph in 5.1 and the 1/4 mile in 13.5 at 105 mph....

The normal C5 mn6 with 295 rwhp BONE STOCK is gonna do 0-60 mph in 4.9 and the 1/4 mile in 13.3 at 107 mph

CAN THEY BOTH BE QUICKER SOME TIMES????? HECK YEA!!!!

But Ive only seen one respectable magazine get a low 13 out of an F body and that was popular science with a 13.1 for a WS6...

Every other magazine was in the 13.5-13.7 range...

with the C5 every magazine had it from 12.9 (popular science)-13.4

The C5 is the quicker car...

But the Fbody guys arent to bad overall....Most of them know that 90% of the time the C5 is quicker and will handle the F body with ease on a road corse...

Now to the SRT-4 guys.....GIVE ME A BREAK...NUFF SAID...

Seriously though.....I got into a heated debate with some SRT-4 guys at my local track..

They asked me what she ran stock and I told them 13.5 at 103 mph....Then one of them chuckled and said that his friend in the mainland ran 13.8 at 103 mph......

I asked them what they ran at our track and the quickest was a 14.5 at 97 mph followed by all the typical excuses...Fastest Ive ever seen one go stock is 14.8...

Anyways I told him in a polite way that I had his car beat by a second in my SLOW automatic C5 and walked away.

Now to the ones who really get my Goat...

The 04 GTO....

These guys actualy think that cas they have the LS1 they can take Vettes...

Atleaste the Fbody really has a chance....But these guys are rediculous....

C5...350 Hp...3250 pounds...
04 GTO...350 HP......3750 pounds....

The GTO will normally be a 1/2 second slower than the C5...mn6 vrs mn6...

But that first year GTO dosent even count...

The real contender is the 05 GTO with the LS2.....The only car that has the power to weight ratio to actualy stand toe to toe with a mn6 C5...

The C5 will average 13.3 and the 05 GTO will average 13.3.....

These are both very evenly matched cars and I have no problem with someone saying they took a stock C5 with a stock 05 GTO...It's a 100% drivers race....

My problem is that when someone dose take out a C5 in there 05 GTO, the post will contain many people putting down the C5....

LETS JUST BE HONEST HERE....

Yes the 05 GTO is as fast as a C5 stock for stock....But thats all you got...

The C5 is a beautiful car by most peoples standards..
The GTO is average by most peoples standards....
The C5 dose it's nameplate right...
The GTO let many of it's fans down....
The C5 will be the quicker car around a road course....

People with a 45 grand( basicly no options C5)-60 grand (fully loaded C5 converable)corvette dont dream about one day having a 28-35 grand GTO....

But the latter can be very true...

So why put down the C5....

I just get so pissed when people do this......Especialy when I know that a few of them who are doing it are hoping to one day have a corvette...

I could go on and on about all the stuff Ive seen posted about C5's....

For example.....Most of the C5's you see out on the road are the a4 2.73 versions...

The a4 2.73 is a solid 3 tenths slower than the mn6 C5.....It is defiently in mn6 F body territry and a little quicker than 2004 GTO mn6 territory...

A 2005 GTO should take one no problem....

And when some one kills the 2.73 a4 in there mn6 Fbody or GTO.....

All C5's are over rated....Man that pisses me off....

I guess thats just the crap that you have to deal with when your at the top of the food chain....

The one that really makes me mad is when there like....The C5 is a dime a dozen around here...The SS camaro is more uncommon....

Anyone can go buy a C5....Ive seen 1997's for 15 grand......

Can we be real for a second....

The reason that lots of people bought SS camaros is cas they couldnt afford the corvette....

Ive got two different friends who went to buy a new C5 and came home with new SS camaros.....Cas 1 grand a month was more then they could afford...

And yes you can find a 1997 C5 for only 15 grand with 100,000 miles on it....

Or you can buy a 2002 F body with 10,000 miles on it for the same price....

15 grand is a healthy price for a 9 year old car with 100,000 miles on it....

You can get a 1997 Fbody with 100,000 miles for 5 grand....

I saw a 1999 Viper with 30,000 miles for only 35 grand a month ago...

I paid 52 grand for my 2004 C5 on 12 May 2004....

Dose that make my Vette better?

Heck naaa....The Viper will turn more heads.....It IS an 75,000 $-85,000$car...

Just like a C5 will turn more heads than an F body or GTO....IT IS a 45-60 thousand dollar car....

Is it the fact that it cost 15 grand more than the F body or GTO that makes some people want to hate on it's performance???

A few tenths quicker than a Fbody or even with the 05 GTO not enough for the money?

The 15 grand is #1 the corvette name #2 suspension and electronics #3 light weight materials.....

It's not just these cars....I havent even went to the import side of the house.....

AND I WONT GO THERE.....I PRETTY MUCH HATE ALL IMPORTS SO MY OPINIONS WOULD BE COMPLETELY BIASED ......

Ok before I end this one and don my flame suit......

Even with my weak 2.73 a4 C5 that dynoed 299 rwhp on a dyno jet SAE corrected....

My bone stock times are quicker than any of the F bodys...Gto's and Imports at my track stock for stock that Ive ever raced or heard about...

Maybe at 299 rwhp I just got lucky and got a strong automatic....

How did your bone stock C5 compare at your track with the cars Ive mentioned......

ALSO...IF IM A MORON FOR POSTING THIS....HET IT'S KOOL...ITS JUST MY OPINION AND DOSENT MEAN ANYTHING.....IM JUST TRYING TO SEE IF OTHER C5 GUYS HAVE NOTICED THE SAME THING ON PEOPLES ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE C5 ON THIS BOARD OR OTHER BOARDS..
Old 11-08-2005, 06:34 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the main thing is that if all you care about is just going fast, the better vehicle is the fbody because of lower initial investment and parts are usually cheaper.

Otherwise, the Corvette is hands down heads above the rest.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:46 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

Yeah I see lot of negative remarks about Vettes and Vette drivers, but I don't care, it doesn't matter one iota. What really matters is that I enjoy my car and enjoy racing her on all different type of tracks, not just straight lines.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go read in the 12 second club section im sure there are some f- bodys that have done high 12's and probably vettes to the thing is the weight to power ratio the vette will almost always win because of it.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

I hear what your saying man, I traded my 2002 SS with 10000 miles for a 99 C5 with 50000 miles. I didnt realize at the time that it had 2.73 gears!!! That was the worst gear ratio that chevy could have ever put in those cars. The C5 handeled better than my SS but i couldn't do a burn out off the line in my C5. So i took it back to the dealer. Then i bought another 2002 SS with 3500 miles and liked it until I finally got to drive my dads 2002 Z06! Then I was hooked, I have reciently sold my 2002 SS and in the process of getting a loan to buy my dads Z06. My point is that the vette is one of the best cars on the market and if given the choice MANY of the Fbody, GTO, SRT4, and even some mustang guys would take one in a heart beat!!!! SO keep your head up!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
first off I know what forum were on.....And I am in no way trying to put down any ones car....

I guess thats just the way it is when your considered the measuring stick for performance.....

Well here goes....

Ill start with the Fbody guys....They always want to say that the F body is just as fast as a C5.....

The differance is that the NORMAL F body mn6 with 300 rwhp BONE STOCK is gonna do 0-60 mph in 5.1 and the 1/4 mile in 13.5 at 105 mph....

The normal C5 mn6 with 295 rwhp BONE STOCK is gonna do 0-60 mph in 4.9 and the 1/4 mile in 13.3 at 107 mph

But Ive only seen one respectable magazine get a low 13 out of an F body and that was popular science with a 13.1 for a WS6...

But the Fbody guys arent to bad overall....Most of them know that 90% of the time the C5 is quicker and will handle the F body with ease on a road corse...

Seriously though.....I got into a heated debate with some SRT-4 guys at my local track..

They asked me what she ran stock and I told them 13.5 at 103 mph....Then one of them chuckled and said that his friend in the mainland ran 13.8 at 103 mph......

I asked them what they ran at our track and the quickest was a 14.5 at 97 mph followed by all the typical excuses...Fastest Ive ever seen one go stock is 14.8...

Anyways I told him in a polite way that I had his car beat by a second in my SLOW automatic C5 and walked away.

The 04 GTO....

The real contender is the 05 GTO with the LS2.....The only car that has the power to weight ratio to actualy stand toe to toe with a mn6 C5...

These are both very evenly matched cars and I have no problem with someone saying they took a stock C5 with a stock 05 GTO...It's a 100% drivers race....

My problem is that when someone dose take out a C5 in there 05 GTO, the post will contain many people putting down the C5....

People with a 45 grand( basicly no options C5)-60 grand (fully loaded C5 converable)corvette dont dream about one day having a 28-35 grand GTO....

I just get so pissed when people do this......Especialy when I know that a few of them who are doing it are hoping to one day have a corvette...

For example.....Most of the C5's you see out on the road are the a4 2.73 versions...

The a4 2.73 is a solid 3 tenths slower than the mn6 C5.....It is defiently in mn6 F body territry and a little quicker than 2004 GTO mn6 territory...

I guess thats just the crap that you have to deal with when your at the top of the food chain....

The one that really makes me mad is when there like....The C5 is a dime a dozen around here...The SS camaro is more uncommon....

The reason that lots of people bought SS camaros is cas they couldnt afford the corvette....

Ive got two different friends who went to buy a new C5 and came home with new SS camaros.....Cas 1 grand a month was more then they could afford...

Just like a C5 will turn more heads than an F body or GTO....IT IS a 45-60 thousand dollar car....

Is it the fact that it cost 15 grand more than the F body or GTO that makes some people want to hate on it's performance???

A few tenths quicker than a Fbody or even with the 05 GTO not enough for the money?

The 15 grand is #1 the corvette name #2 suspension and electronics #3 light weight materials.....

It's not just these cars....I havent even went to the import side of the house.....

AND I WONT GO THERE.....I PRETTY MUCH HATE ALL IMPORTS SO MY OPINIONS WOULD BE COMPLETELY BIASED ......

Even with my weak 2.73 a4 C5 that dynoed 299 rwhp on a dyno jet SAE corrected....

My bone stock times are quicker than any of the F bodys...Gto's and Imports at my track stock for stock that Ive ever raced or heard about...

How did your bone stock C5 compare at your track with the cars Ive mentioned......

ALSO...IF IM A MORON FOR POSTING THIS....HET IT'S KOOL...ITS JUST MY OPINION AND DOSENT MEAN ANYTHING.....IM JUST TRYING TO SEE IF OTHER C5 GUYS HAVE NOTICED THE SAME THING ON PEOPLES ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE C5 ON THIS BOARD OR OTHER BOARDS..
u also forgot to mention the mach 1 guys to....
Old 11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Seems pretty acurate. Not sure I agree about fbodies though. Vettes have power to wait ratio but the truth is that solid rear end is so much better for drag racing. The f-body really is a better design for drag racing but then the vette was never ment to be the fastest i nthe 1/4 just an all around performer that's very very good in all areas.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I think the price and the performance proves the quality and engineering that goes into a Corvette. I have owned both and know that Corvettes are the better car. The chassis, suspension, brakes, weight bias, etc. are all far better and the cost of that is the price difference. They don't raise the price just because it has a Corvette logo on it! That is the flagship sports car for GM, plain and simple. They race the Corvettes and use that technology on the production cars. Look at the new Z06! Do they do that with f-bodies or GTOs...LOL! I wonder why not? DOH!
Some people are too blind to see past the straight line performance, although the Vette is certainly not lacking in that area. But when you look at 1/4 mile time differences and price differences, you aren't looking at the whole package. These people you complain about are common and shouldn't even bother you. I just laugh at their ignorance, that is laced with jealousy. Enjoy your car.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Everytime I'm out cruzin' around and see a vette, the driver usually waves or honks or something. I think that's cool. Vette's to me are bad as all hell. I do see them as a differant beast then the F-bodies though. I think F-bodies are more of a drag car while Vette's are a either an older person's bad **** cruzer or an all out performance machine. At least around my neck of the woods. Just my .02 cents though.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Just a thought....I know my vette isn't a C5, but I used to have an F-car. It was a 1993 Camaro Z28. I really liked it, and I beat my buddy's 85 TPI Corvette. I used the same rationale that some of the current f-body owners use: Cheaper parts/upgrades, cheaper car, 4 seats (3 girls screaming during a power slide can be a riot ). Anyway, my Camaro was beginning to show its age so I figured I'd go check out a newer version with a 6 speed instead of an auto. They didn't have any 6 speed f-cars in my price range, but they did have a 6 speed corvette. They offered to let me drive this corvette and I said no. I thought about it over a week's time and went back to drive the corvette. I haven't looked back since. I love the feel, the ride, the looks, the power, the seats, the sound, the removeable top, the handling......

My POINT is: I would have never appreciated corvettes or bought my current car if I never drove it for myself. It's all about having the "experience". I'm already planning to own a Z06 in the future. Plus, the club I belong to is probably the coolest car club on the planet. There's nothing quite like going for a fast scenic drive in Idaho with 20-30 corvettes. AAAhhhhhhhhhh...............my face starts to hurt after smiling for so long
Old 11-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Banned

Corvette, Smmorvette....
Old 11-08-2005, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Mike00...

I completely 100,000 agree with your statement that the Fbody is better buillt for drag racing...

The solid rear axle and 17 inch rims with non run flat tires is a solid combination compared to the C5...

BUT REGUARDLESS....The normal f body mn6 will trapp 105 mph...
The normal C5 will trapp 107 mph...

Realsisticaly at my track the stock mn6 F bodys trap about the same as my 103 mph and the stock mn6 C5's trap around 105 mph...

And Im sure some of you race at fast tracks were the avaerage mn6 F body traps 106.5 and the average C5 mn6 traps 108.5...

The point is that the 2 mph stock for stock advantage for the C5 is always there....

Now if the mn6 C5 runs a 2.1 60 ft and hits a 13.5 at 107 mph...
And the Fboby mn6 runs a 2.0 60 ft and hits a 13.5 at 105 mph...

DOSE THAT MAKE THEM EQUAL IN THE 1/4 MILE????

no.......The Fbody is just easier to hook stock for stock....

If the C5 hits a 2.0 He will run a 13.3
But then what if the F body is a great driver and hits a 1.9 60 ft bone stock and then he will also run a 13.3 at 105 mph.....

Now the Fbody is basicly maxed out...

And the C5 has an outside chance of hitting a 1.9 60ft.....If he dose, he'll run a 13.1 at 107 mph...

THIS IS EXACTY THE WAY IT HAPPENS......IT'S JUST SO MUCH EASIER TO GET A 2.0 OUT OF THE F BODY THAN THE C5'S TYPICAL 2.1....

So like I said earlier the Fbody is better for drag racing......But still not quicker through the 1/4 mile....

All the Fbody and GTO guys want to just write off the 3250 pound weight of the C5.....

Or theyll say things like my SS camaro only ways 3490 pounds or my GTO only weighs 3590 pounds....

Guys your full of crap.......Why are you quoting the lightest weight youve ever read in some GM tech or super chevy magazine for your car???

Just pull out your registration.......Your actual vehicle weight will be on there some were......

I just went and looked at mine...

3,320 pounds.....Mine came with both tops.....One inplace on the vehicle and the other stored in the trunk...

The top weighs aprox. 40 pounds....Of course I dont ride around with both tops on my car and my speedway white top is in storage....I use the see through top..

So my vehicle weight is 3280 pounds....Thats about right since the a4 wieghs a little more than the mn6..

Now how much dose your f body or GTO really weigh....

Whats the registration say??? And dont try taking off weight for your spare and jack...You really do need that with you every day....Just in case...

My extra top was just a color choice......

So if your F body weighs in at 3580 pounds.....Thats 300 pounds or 3 tenths that you got to make up off the launch....

If your 04 GTO weighs in at 3680 pounds....Your screwed cas you got the same IRS......Just gonna be 4 tenths slower...

I always here so many people say that the Fbody is the better drag car...

To me who ever traps the highest mph is the better drag car...

SS camaro 105 vrs C5 coupe 107........C5 coupes better

C5 coupe 107 vrs C5 FRC 108........C5 FRC 's better

C5 FRC 108 vrs Mustang cobra 110.....Cobras better

Cobras 110 vrs C5 Z06 114......C5 Z06 is better

C5 Z06 114 vrs Viper SRT-10 117.....Viper is better

Viper SRT-10 117 vrs C6 Z06 120.....C6Z06 is better

C6Z06 120 vrs Ferrari Enz0 126........EnZos the best
Old 11-08-2005, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Hey the C5 Z06 traps around 116-118 Hell GM HIGH TECH PERFORMANCE got 119 OUT OF A STOCK 04 Z06

The C6 Z06 traps 124-127 IN MOST MAGIZINES

I like your post but just want to put in the facts!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

I don't hate on corvettes.
BUT I DO HATE *** HOLE VETTE DRIVERS, that think just because they bought a vette that its the fastest thing in the world. Most on this site are not like that but ALOT of the ones on the street are. I have to admit, I have taken more money from old guys with vette's than any other group of cars street racing. LOVE THE CAR. About to buy a 02-04 ZO6. for my DD. Not hating on anyone above.
but on the street you can come across alot of vette drivers that act like they are bad ***. I have met some that where great guys too. but in all the races I have ran. nothing is better than racing a c5 and (when mine was stock) and winning not to brag but good driving had something to do with it.

no offence to anyone. and about to be a owner my self
Old 11-08-2005, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Matt SS..

im not quoting the best times that a C5 or C6 Z06 can run....

Im posting what they can normally run..

C5 coupes are capable of 110 mph......Do they all run that..NO

Some run 106..some run 108....They average about 107 mph.....Really strong ones on good DA nights can trapp in the 109-110 range....

The C5 Z06 is CAPABLE of 117 mph.....But if you go to the C5Z06 message board you'll see that the normal time is 113-115 mph..Or 114 on average...

And do you HONESTLY beleave the C6Z06 is gonna run 127 mph on average???

Id put my money on it running 118-123 mph or around 121 on average...

Yea there will be a few people that run high 120's bone stock but again this will not be the average.

People get so tied up into magazine times and what theve heard that they sometimes set them selves up for failure....

A good example is when I first got my C5...

I had wanted a C5 coupe for about 3 years...Wife didnt want to spend 50 grand on a two seater toy when we have 4 kids.....

Finaly got it, but before I did I had read every magazine and review I could get my hands on....

All the mags said 12.9-13.4 at 107-110 mph

I went to corvette forum and saw a thread containing best bone stock a4 C5 times........

There were about 20 different guys on there all saying they had ran 12.9-13.3 bone stock in there a4's at 104-107 mph....

From what I had read in the mags and on corvette forum I figuered I had a pretty good shot at hitting 12's bone stock.

Took my car to the track the first time and ran a best of 13.9 at 102 mph...

I WAS SO PISSED AND THOUGHT SOMTHING WAS WRONG WITH MY CAR....

I went to Corvette forum and learned the proper launch tecnique and went back and ran 13.5 at 103 mph on a 2.1 60 ft...

Big improvement but still far from 12's...

In retrospect if I had let the tire pressure down and got a 2.0 60 ft I probaly could have gotten a 13.3-13.4......

But at the time I didnt realize how much the tires effected your ET.

The point is that the magazines have professional drivers and then covert there numbers to what they would have ran in a perfect DA....

The numbers posted on corvette forum in that thread represent the best times that people have gotten bone stock...Not the average...

YOU REALLY THINK THE GUY WITH 2.73'S WANTS TO POST HIS 13.5-8, WHEN THESE OTHER A4 GUYS ARE POSTING HIGH 12'S OR LOW 13'S?

Well I just wanted to explain why I posted 114 and 120 for the Z06's.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the non vette guys show their jealousy, and start talking smack, just mention the Z06 and that usually shuts them up, mostly. If that doesn't work point them to this:
Z06 Fastest stock and stock CAI/DR List
What the smack talkers generally see:

Robert
Old 11-09-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people hate on you cause there jealous.... dont let it bother you... w/the price of used vette's these days it seems like there just mad cause they bought a slow pile o shat rather than a quality car like the vette.... here's a lil vid of when my vette was somewhat stock against an 04 gto... tell me what you see....
http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...FB91&kw=47&p=6
Old 11-09-2005, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette

Well here goes....

The 04 GTO....

You seem to have a lot of pent up anger, are you not getting enough lov'in at home or something??

I love Corvettes (will probably own one, one day), but they are not top of the food chain. There are plenty of faster cars for similar or less money out there. Even in the US, you just need to know where to look.
Attached Thumbnails Just VENTING....-muscle-mustangs-fast-fords-magazine-article.jpg  
Old 11-09-2005, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
You seem to have a lot of pent up anger, are you not getting enough lov'in at home or something??

I love Corvettes (will probably own one, one day), but they are not top of the food chain. There are plenty of faster cars for similar or less money out there. Even in the US, you just need to know where to look.

CORVETTES ARE AT THE TOP OF THE AMERICAN FOOD CHAIN in the aspect that they are the BEST all around car for the money. I read that article too, but like 2.73vette said, You cant always go by magizines. I respect plenty of other cars for what they do, but you have to give credit where credit is due. YOU CAN NOT GET A BETTER ALL AROUND CAR FOR THE MONEY THAN A VETTE
Old 11-09-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt SS
CORVETTES ARE AT THE TOP OF THE AMERICAN FOOD CHAIN in the aspect that they are the BEST all around car for the money. I read that article too, but like 2.73vette said, You cant always go by magizines. I respect plenty of other cars for what they do, but you have to give credit where credit is due. YOU CAN NOT GET A BETTER ALL AROUND CAR FOR THE MONEY THAN A VETTE
No I agree, especially in the US.

But if handling is you thing then there are such cars as Caterham CSR's and Superlights R's, the Ariel Atom an Radicals. All are much faster round a track. All are faster than a stock C5 and will give a C5 Z06 a good run for their money.

For similar money to a new Corvette there are cars like the TVR Sagaris and Tuscan 2. Second hand there are Cebera's and Tuscans and T350's all are faster than a stock C6 Z51.

Noble also offer 425bhp of Supercar for the same money as a new C6, recently one of these lapped the Rockingham circuit a full 4 seconds quicker than a 540bhp Ford GT, which in itself was faster than a C6, 911 GT3, F430, M5, Lotus Exige 340R and several others.

Then there's more odd ball cars like the Le Mans Coupe and BAD Daytona and the Dax Tojeiro.

In the US the Corvette is hard to top, but not impossible. Outside the US there is far more competition for the money.

But if you don't think I like Vettes, check my sig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just VENTING....