Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

AH saved my ass today

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AH saved my *** today

Redline shifting 1->2 at WOT on cold tires today, I lost traction and the back swung out, almost hitting a concrete wall. Before I could even understand what was going on, the car corrected and kept going forward like nothing happened. WOW just WOW!

Funny part, I had a friend with me who didn't want to put the seatbelt on. Well, he put it on pretty quickly after that

Last edited by longdaddy; 11-10-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear that you were able to avoid an accident. Something tells me that you wont be doing that anymore
James
Old 11-09-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Damn.........thats interesting. I wonder what the car did to correct itself. That is so cool and I'm glad to hear your car is still intact.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

It cuts the ignition to limit power, then independantly brakes the front wheel that is in the direction of the spin/slide.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool. Glad to hear the active handling worked and everything is ok
Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

I had it save my *** one time at the track.... I always shut it off when running at the strip, but my father always tried to convince me to run it in compitition mode... so I tried it and found that it didn't change anything as far as I could tell I never got it loose enough to make it kick in... until... I was at the track and was at the top of 3rd gear.. power shifted into fourth and I must have hit some fluid on the track, my car just banged left and before I knew it I was aimed at the wall... AH kicked in and got me aimed in the right direction... and I still managed a 12.4 at 115....lol I owe a beer to some engineers somewhere
Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by longdaddy
Redline shifting 1->2 at WOT on cold tires today, I lost traction and the back swung out, almost hitting a concrete wall. Before I could even understand what was going on, the car corrected and kept going forward like nothing happened. WOW just WOW!

Funny part, I had a friend with me who didn't want to put the seatbelt on. Well, he put it on pretty quickly after that
i feel sorry for the abuse you put your car through. you dont deserve to own a vette. and if i saw you driving wrecklessly like that around here i would call the cops on you!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TECH Regular

Trader Rating: (0)
I am seeing some comments here that are pretty strange for a bunch of car "enthusiasts".

First of all, the car was not designed to be driven with 2 radically different sets of tires in the front and out back. suspension, AH, etc were tuned for 4 similar levels of dry/wet traction in 4 corners.

Next, if you guys want to convince yourselves that a soft compund tire with large shallow thread blocks is just fine for driving in a pouring rain doing 60mph, be my guest. remember that the worst lie is the one you tell to yourself.

by the way, if you think that cars just magically lose control because "**** just happens", invest into some driver's ed (HiPerf or Autocross class, something like that). really - there is no magic. not trying to be smartess, it really helps to understand what the car is doing and you will be a better driver, not to mention impressing girls with your knowlege of weight transfer and traction limits
Example: changing direction of the car - like changing a lane - without loading rear suspension by applying throttle can cause oversteer in a condition where the traction is already at the limit - i.e. wet surface- just a random example, doesn't have anything to do with anyone here

by the way, as soon as you set up your car for "street racing", you implicitly accepet the possibility of ending up with a totaled car and broken bones and having noone but yourself to blame. not saying it's right or wrong but that's a choice you make. want to put your **** into a wall or wrap it around the tree - be my guest. do try to avoid hurting innocent people though. I will report you to the cops too - not cause I hate you, just wanna keep the streets im driving a little safer.

I believe someone near and dear to your heart posted this in another thread.
so, did you invest in the high performance driving class ??
maybe it would have taught you about the AH, and maybe you would not have been soo surprised on how well it helped you.

and where the hell was it cold this morning ?? isn't the whole US in a huge heat wave ??
Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gavspurplez
TECH Regular

Trader Rating: (0)
I am seeing some comments here that are pretty strange for a bunch of car "enthusiasts".

First of all, the car was not designed to be driven with 2 radically different sets of tires in the front and out back. suspension, AH, etc were tuned for 4 similar levels of dry/wet traction in 4 corners.

Next, if you guys want to convince yourselves that a soft compund tire with large shallow thread blocks is just fine for driving in a pouring rain doing 60mph, be my guest. remember that the worst lie is the one you tell to yourself.

by the way, if you think that cars just magically lose control because "**** just happens", invest into some driver's ed (HiPerf or Autocross class, something like that). really - there is no magic. not trying to be smartess, it really helps to understand what the car is doing and you will be a better driver, not to mention impressing girls with your knowlege of weight transfer and traction limits
Example: changing direction of the car - like changing a lane - without loading rear suspension by applying throttle can cause oversteer in a condition where the traction is already at the limit - i.e. wet surface- just a random example, doesn't have anything to do with anyone here

by the way, as soon as you set up your car for "street racing", you implicitly accepet the possibility of ending up with a totaled car and broken bones and having noone but yourself to blame. not saying it's right or wrong but that's a choice you make. want to put your **** into a wall or wrap it around the tree - be my guest. do try to avoid hurting innocent people though. I will report you to the cops too - not cause I hate you, just wanna keep the streets im driving a little safer.

I believe someone near and dear to your heart posted this in another thread.
so, did you invest in the high performance driving class ??
maybe it would have taught you about the AH, and maybe you would not have been soo surprised on how well it helped you.

and where the hell was it cold this morning ?? isn't the whole US in a huge heat wave ??
yeah that does sound familiar
Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

This was the most bizzarre thread I have ever read on the forum, I felt like I just walked through somebodys kitchen early in the morning.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twospeed
This was the most bizzarre thread I have ever read on the forum, I felt like I just walked through somebodys kitchen early in the morning.

AGREED! This thread belongs on Corvette Forum. Would somebody please move it?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

I agree that he shouldn't drive like that on public streets, however, it is a corvette and once in a while you do get the itch to do something stupid. As long as the power is there, you will be tempted.

I don't drive crazy like the op, but I did notice that when I drive my Z as oppose to my wife's Nissan, I always end up driving 5-10 mph faster on local roads. More like 20 over on the Highway.

After all, whats the point of a corvette if your going to drive at 55. Corvette's need more like 155..
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someones' panties are on a lil tight..
Old 08-15-2007, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FRC
AGREED! This thread belongs on Corvette Forum.

I was thinking the same thing... wonder if Corvetteforum is down. Imagine that... a corvette burning the tires... who would do such a thing
Old 08-15-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Wait a minute did I log on to Corvette Forum by mistake? This is bizarre. Maybe my brain is finally melting from all this heat.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nautilus

I was thinking the same thing... wonder if Corvetteforum is down. Imagine that... a corvette burning the tires... who would do such a thing

ROFL!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bonestockz06
I agree that he shouldn't drive like that on public streets, however, it is a corvette and once in a while you do get the itch to do something stupid. As long as the power is there, you will be tempted.

I don't drive crazy like the op, but I did notice that when I drive my Z as oppose to my wife's Nissan, I always end up driving 5-10 mph faster on local roads. More like 20 over on the Highway.

After all, whats the point of a corvette if your going to drive at 55. Corvette's need more like 155..
sorry, what me and gavspurplez are getting at is...

our friend crashed his z06 a few weeks back, and longdaddy came into the thread talking **** because he had nitto's and how "the car is not setup for that" and that if he was around his neck of the woods he would call the cops on him for that kind of behavior.

i mean come on! its a vette!!! i agree 155 baby!!!

here is the thread
post #32
https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members/756746-so-who-jacked-up-thier-c5-90-morning.html
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Launching!

^^ that makes more sense now..

sorry about the car. fixed now??
Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

LMAO

Mr. Corvette, longdaddy, has no room to tell anybody anything. Can't wait to get the vette back so I can illegally drive the car on the street with nittos on the rear. Maybe when I get the cam done it will be too loud also. GTFO.

LOL
Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM

I don't understand the latter half of this thread. Whats this talk of longdaddy and nittos etc?

Quick Reply: AH saved my ass today