Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

DILEMA! Help! buy C5 Z06 or 06 C6?? (not Z06)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DILEMA! Help! buy C5 Z06 or 06 C6?? (not Z06)

I was sold on getting a 2002-3 C5 Z06 when I sold my first Camaro, but have since sold my send SS.. I have more money now, and I really like all new the features the C6 offers...

Here is my problem... I'd like to at some point go with a turbo kit... The c5 would be much easier financially to get that done, although the C6 to me is just sweet as it is and would have to remain stock for at least 2 years.

Guys who have owned C5s and switched to C6's what was the main reason you switched, why have you not switched to the C6? Looks to me are not the issue... Please dont comment on the looks between the 2. To me the C6 looks better.. I also have about $3,200 in credit i'd be cashing in on a new C6 if i went that route..
Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Both are incredibly amazing cars, and you really can't go wrong with either one. The C6 is generally a little bit better car (heated seats, navigation, onstar, gen 2 heads up display, etc), so if you got the cash to drop, go for it. Personally I'd take an 02-03 Z06 for under $30k and pocket then $10k+ (and that's even with your $3k GM credit). If you're not stuck on having the latest and greatest, I would advise you towards the C5z. Especially if you're going to mod the hell out of it (like the Turbo kit you mentioned.)
Old 02-23-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had this exact same issue as well. I even had a thread just like this one back in November. Stock perfomance, they're pretty similar with the C5 Z being a little better, especially on suspension, and from what I've heard/read, the C5 Z will be faster in all aspects (except possibly their top end). I went with the C5 because it was by far the best bang for the buck! I wanted the Z06 because it is an awesome platform to mod; and it's got phenomenal power. Drive both before choosing.

Things I wish the C5 had: On Star

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

If I did get a C6 i would not get onstar, or navagation.. i would like the new gen HUD, but would sacrifice.... Can a stock C5 zo6 handle another 150hp to the wheels without having to rip the powertrain apart for stronger parts? I've heard people talk about Hardened out-put shafts... Sounds expensive! I dont want to have just a regular z06.. Something will be done to it..
Old 02-23-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't owned a C6 but, I have driven one for a few days. I do like it, alot(the C6). I will tell you, the C5 has more room on the inside,..maybe a little more liveable, to me.

The dash, on the C6, mainly on the passenger side, looks a little weird to me, maybe cause i've been in soo many C5's.....who knows. Personal thing maybe.

As far as power for power,...the Z06(C5) will be faster, outta the box. The C6, will, in the long run, be able to make more power,...and handle it, due to the LS2 capabilities.

the warranty, is a sweet sweet thing,....so, you gotta really think about that. The C5 may no longer be covered.

The C6, the tops, sometimes SQUEEK. Maybe not all but, the couple that I have driven, have done this. Kinda got old after a little bit.

Again, never owned a C6 but, been around them enough.

When it comes down to it,
1.which do you like better
2.can you afford the C6
3.How fast do you wanna go, cause with the C6, unless you have a warranty hookup, your gonna have to wait to go REAL fast. The C5,...bolt-on and go.

Both great cars,....hard to choose one or the other.
Personally, I like the hardtop vettes over any of them.

J
Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, I looked up my previous thread from a few months ago, might get some useful info here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/418045-02-04-z06-vs-c6.html I still wouldn't trade my C5 Z for a new C6 unless it was for a C6 Z. One other thing about warranties. If you buy an 04, most will still have the factory warranty, and if you like the idea of having a warranty, you can still purchase an extended warranty from a GM dealership as long as yours is still under warranty. Good luck on your choice; for me, it was the obvious (in sig)
Old 02-23-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are just looking at getting a C6 coup with Z51 and six speed manual transmission you are probably about 3 tenths slower stock vs stock against the C5 Z06..the C6 is a little more polished with better manners..not as edgey as the Z06..as to the room inside the C6 has more head room and leg room than the C5 Z06..the C5 Z06 does have one inch more sholder room..as to the roof panels squeeking I have driven hundreds of C6's and none of them have squeeked...not saying it can't happen..if it does it needs a little silicone on the rubber seals to make it go away..they are both great cars but have different personalities for sure..the C5 Z06 feels like more of a hot rod than the C6 does..I like the way that the new C6 looks over the last generation Z06 and I like the removable roof panel..it is a hard call I like both cars ..either way you go you going to be doing alright..

$43690 2006 Corvette coup
800 Destination
1695 Z51 Performance handling package
$46185 MSRP

That is the way I would want one built..I don't care about any more of the buttons and bells. That is list price and you can buy one for a lot less than that. If you are in the market let me know..I'll hook you up..I can order it and have it drop shipped to a dealer in your area..I sell 50 new vettes a month and order new Corvettes every Tuesday morning.

Last edited by slt200mph; 02-23-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If you are just looking at getting a C6 coup with Z51 and six speed manual transmission you are probably about 3 tenths slower stock vs stock against the C5 Z06..the C6 is a little more polished with better manners..not as edgey as the Z06..as to the room inside the C6 has more head room and leg room than the C5 Z06..the C5 Z06 does have one inch more sholder room..as to the roof panels squeeking I have driven hundreds of C6's and none of them have squeeked...not saying it can't happen..if it does it needs a little silicone on the rubber seals to make it go away..they are both great cars but have different personalities for sure..the C5 Z06 feels like more of a hot rod than the C6 does..I like the way that the new C6 looks over the last generation Z06 and I like the removable roof panel..it is a hard call I like both cars ..either way you go you going to be doing alright..

$43690 2006 Corvette coup
800 Destination
1695 Z51 Performance handling package
$46185 MSRP

That is the way I would want one built..I don't care about any more of the buttons and bells. That is list price and you can buy one for a lot less than that. If you are in the market let me know..I'll hook you up..I can order it and have it drop shipped to a dealer in your area..I sell 50 new vettes a month and order new Corvettes every Tuesday morning.
Thanks for the good info!

I did attend Corvette training with a reletive that owns a GM dealership and learned sooo much about the C6.. I fell in love with the Le-mans Blue! I can get a steal of a price for a C6 from him, but still not sure if I will be 100% sure if thats what I should do.. When that same dealership got an 04 Z06 (back when they were new) I was able to drive that, and just fell in love... I also drove a couple C6s at the sales training in Milwaukee a couple years ago, and loved that as well.. Decisions, decisions!!!!

Here are my thoughts:

1. I really want a turboed car, so if I got the C5 Z I could afford to turbo it (I think). (depends how many supporting mods it would need also.

2. If i got a C6, it would be staying stock for a longggg time, but I could order it exactly how I want it. I could also use my GM card credit toward the purchase ($3,200). options would include: 2LZ, transparent roof, bose, XM, 6-speed, Le-Mans blue, polished alum wheels.

Hopefully you guys can talk some sense into me!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

C5 Z06
Old 02-24-2006, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

The things you have to consider ar e

1) how important is modding, if its really important advangtage c5z because its cheaper.

2) how important is a warranty if its really important and #1 isnt then advantage c6 because you will have a fresh warranty

3)How important is going faster, the c5z can be modded with the money you save to be much faster.

4) appearance, imo the c5 takes it although this c6 coupe modded by the owner to look like a Z is pretty tight http://jayaramanmed.com/C6/corvette.html

5) new car buyers always take the hit so maybe a slightly used c6 may be the answer.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Teching In

i own a c6 and i love it, it is an amazing car it picks up power so easily, the top does squeek a little but i got over it regarding the warranty issue i had a hook up with a chevy tech not anymore though and im still modifying it im in the process of getting heads and cam. I have driven a c5 and it is also a awesome car but personally i would go with the c6
Old 02-24-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Definatly get a C6.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by marcus769
Thanks for the good info!

I did attend Corvette training with a reletive that owns a GM dealership and learned sooo much about the C6.. I fell in love with the Le-mans Blue! I can get a steal of a price for a C6 from him, but still not sure if I will be 100% sure if thats what I should do.. When that same dealership got an 04 Z06 (back when they were new) I was able to drive that, and just fell in love... I also drove a couple C6s at the sales training in Milwaukee a couple years ago, and loved that as well.. Decisions, decisions!!!!

Here are my thoughts:

1. I really want a turboed car, so if I got the C5 Z I could afford to turbo it (I think). (depends how many supporting mods it would need also.

2. If i got a C6, it would be staying stock for a longggg time, but I could order it exactly how I want it. I could also use my GM card credit toward the purchase ($3,200). options would include: 2LZ, transparent roof, bose, XM, 6-speed, Le-Mans blue, polished alum wheels.

Hopefully you guys can talk some sense into me!

Just an FYI for you..You are incorrect on your RPO code for a C6 coup..2LZ is the RPO code for the only option group for the C6 Z06($2900)..In the C6 coup you have three choices for trim levels..1LT, 2LT,($1495) and 3LT($4795)..the XM radio is part of the 3LT option group..it is only available as part of that option group..good luck in your decision making process..
Old 02-25-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black Bullet 1
i own a c6 and i love it, it is an amazing car it picks up power so easily, the top does squeek a little but i got over it regarding the warranty issue i had a hook up with a chevy tech not anymore though and im still modifying it im in the process of getting heads and cam. I have driven a c5 and it is also a awesome car but personally i would go with the c6

If your friend is a good Vette he will show you how to make the squeek go away..just a little silicone will cure it..
Old 02-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If your friend is a good Vette he will show you how to make the squeek go away..just a little silicone will cure it..
thanks for the tip
Old 02-25-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, and not because I have one, I would look for an 02-04Z. Last time I looked there were a couple on ebay that already had the mods done and were in the upper $30k's with a "Buy it now" option. Also look at online corvette for sale forums. A C5Z with 5K mi can be had for $33-36k. If you buy from a dealer you can also get a warranty. I have never driven a C6 so I will not comment on it. I believe the Z would be a better value for you especially if you want to track it. The other way to look at it is you win going either way. C5Z or C6? Life is tough, huh.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd take the c5 style z06 anyway, I'm biast to the bodystyle. But bang for the buck you'd still be better with a z06, take the extra cash you'd buy the slower c6 and get some looks or go fast parts
Old 03-15-2006, 05:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Food for thought... Some dealerships will overlook performance upgrades on a new car. Each dealership has a different outlook on it, some are performance oriented and realize that headers, exhaust and a cold air intake aren't going to damage their product. I know of one dealership that will warranty a supercharger if they do the installation. I recommend talking to the service rep of your favorite dealership to see what their view of the performance industry is, prior to purchasing a new vehicle. You may end up with a new car that you can mod. Bob
Old 03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I haven't driven a new C6 personally, but a good friend of mine has. He drives autocross quite a bit.

His current autocross car is an 01 Z06. He bought it from a member of the club we are in. As for what he is doing with it, he said there is no comparison.

He said the C6 was plenty fast, turned in the corners very well, but there was a downside compared to the C5 Z. He says although the times and speeds aren't too far off between the two, you feel too disconnected with the track in the C6. He couldn't tell as easily the point where the back end was going to kick out.

The C6 was more refined no doubt, he said. But for what he likes to do, there was no question. The C5 Z06 was more responsive, and gave more "feedback" than the C6.

All I've had is a C5 Z (2002), so I can't comment personally on the C6.

Best of luck in your choice though.

Quick Reply: DILEMA! Help! buy C5 Z06 or 06 C6?? (not Z06)