Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

vararam CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
240sxer - you have to remember, the engine is like a big air pump. The more air it can flow, the more potential power it can make. If you go back a page or two within this post, you will see I mathematically prove the Raptor can flow more air than the Vara.

The Raptor is cheaper, easier to install and flows more air. I know which one I bought.

Robert - regarding the ambient air temps. If you bought a Raptor, looked at it, then looked at the front of your car from the top and bottom. The front of the car is made to let air intrude to the engine compartment. The combination of both are why my temps are near ambient (edit: within 2 degrees).
Now the Raptor does have the potential to knock Vararam off it's top spot, however, the drag results concerning the raptor have been slim. Those that want warm under hood air then get an under hood CAI, and for those that want the power adding effect of ambient air-get the Vararam or Raptor. It's so easy to me which style is better, and doesn't take a rocket sciencetist to figure it out, DR.Evil.

Edit: go to corevtteforum in Z06 section and check the last few pages from a few weeks and you'll find many Vararam threads, and this will give some insight on the facts.
Robert
Old 03-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you know I was a rocket scientist !
Old 03-25-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

so can this thing fit behing my front licesnse plate like my halltech trap filter? if so i will buy one tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DR.Evil
How did you know I was a rocket scientist !

Robert
Old 03-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Robert do you use a progressive controller with that 200 shot ? If so what kind and how do you like it.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DR.Evil
Robert do you use a progressive controller with that 200 shot ? If so what kind and how do you like it.
Nope, it's multi stage, with a 1st gear (homemade) lock out for second and 3rd stages. So, 1st stage comes on at 3000rpm in first gear, 2nd stage comes on at 4100rpm in 2nd gear and 3rd stage comes on also in 2nd gear but at 5000rpm. I am going for a 250/300hp shot on a stock long block. I broke a output shaft last Sunday on launch after jetting 1st stage up and going for my mid 10.xx pass, but I'll be back.
Robert
Old 03-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Launching!

It's true the motor is like an air pump,more air in and out is more power.But this comes from head and cam and exhaust flow,(ala CFM)not an air filter assembly.A trash can sized ram air will still only flow as much air as the heads and cam allow,the combustion chamber and valves opening and closing only use "x" amount of air,compressing the air will "up" the cfm,not raming the air.It's like saying,your running water thru a 4 inch pipe,then i goes down to a 3 inch pipe,you can't force the 4 inch water mass thru the 3 inch pipe.

4 inch pipe = v-ram
3 inch pipe = stock heads and cam.

Please lock this thread....
the v-ram guy's will never be able to prove anything without a wind tunnel,which obviously v-ram doesn't want top rent out,because the truth hurts.......
I'm not saying the v-ram doesn't add power,but it can't be proven to add more power than the other intakes that also replace the filter and air bridge
Old 03-26-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by H-5-L
It's true the motor is like an air pump,more air in and out is more power.But this comes from head and cam and exhaust flow,(ala CFM)not an air filter assembly.A trash can sized ram air will still only flow as much air as the heads and cam allow,the combustion chamber and valves opening and closing only use "x" amount of air,compressing the air will "up" the cfm,not raming the air.It's like saying,your running water thru a 4 inch pipe,then i goes down to a 3 inch pipe,you can't force the 4 inch water mass thru the 3 inch pipe.

4 inch pipe = v-ram
3 inch pipe = stock heads and cam.

Please lock this thread....
the v-ram guy's will never be able to prove anything without a wind tunnel,which obviously v-ram doesn't want top rent out,because the truth hurts.......
I'm not saying the v-ram doesn't add power,but it can't be proven to add more power than the other intakes that also replace the filter and air bridge
Lock the thread, what for, please. The added power comes from the ram air effect of colder air, not more volume. It has been proven at the track, period, end of story. If you like what your running then fine, stick with it, but the thread is about the Vararam? Cooler air in and your air pump will increase it's VE, simple pyhisics.
Robert
Old 03-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Launching!

This thread has examimed ever angle and is beating a dead horse.Ram air bull.fresh air yes.Period blah end blah..It's not rocket science.The v-ram and others can flow more air than a stock motor needs,you can't force more in without compressing it.Later.I got better things to do
Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Would everyone stop picking on the rocket scientist !!!! LOL

Quick Reply: vararam CAI