Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

vararam CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vararam CAI

will z06 screens block air flow if you're running a vararam setup?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Restricted User

No, air will still flow through those air duct screens.

IMO, you should look at either the Halltech CAI or RAPTOR CAI. For the money and install time, both of these are a better bang for the buck and will give you just as much power or more. We've done back to back Dyno AND Track testing and the RAPTOR actually comes out on top.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
will z06 screens block air flow if you're running a vararam setup?

Pretty much what nos said but,...i'd have to disagree on the vararam not being that great. Since vararam came out with there kits, i've seen them on family and friends cars.

"I" or should I say "WE" have seen minimum of 3mph in the quarter, and as much as 4 and a half mph at the most, every time, with every car that had a vararam.

For example. My white frc was mostly stock, vararam, plugs, wires, I went 12.50 @ 113mph.

My friends white frc, with the vortex rammer, and corsa catback, went 12.70 @ 111 mph. I had a 2.0 60ft. He had a 2.0 60ft.

I'm telling you, this vararam **** works. I use it, love it, even though my tuner HATES it.

Just my opinion man.

Also, when dynoing a car with the vararam, don't expect big power numbers,....it's not designed for that. With speed, like 50-60 PLUS mph, it starts building velocity.... in the end, at high(er) speeds, this thing can actually build boost.

Either way,..best wishes man.

J
Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Banned

i already have the vararam and i have also done my own testing with the vararam and the halltech CAI. My results, the vararam came out on top of halltech. i was averaging 3mph higher than halltech's average. i haven't tested it against the raptor cai, but i'm almost positively sure that the vararam will come out on top of that also. There have been several CAI research analyzes done and the order that fall in are as follows from the highest flowing to least flowing. 1) vararam 2) calloway honker cai 3) halltech cai

i was going to put in z06 screens but i did not know if it would interfere with my airflow.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Pretty much what nos said but,...i'd have to disagree on the vararam not being that great. Since vararam came out with there kits, i've seen them on family and friends cars.

"I" or should I say "WE" have seen minimum of 3mph in the quarter, and as much as 4 and a half mph at the most, every time, with every car that had a vararam.

For example. My white frc was mostly stock, vararam, plugs, wires, I went 12.50 @ 113mph.

My friends white frc, with the vortex rammer, and corsa catback, went 12.70 @ 111 mph. I had a 2.0 60ft. He had a 2.0 60ft.

I'm telling you, this vararam **** works. I use it, love it, even though my tuner HATES it.

Just my opinion man.

Also, when dynoing a car with the vararam, don't expect big power numbers,....it's not designed for that. With speed, like 50-60 PLUS mph, it starts building velocity.... in the end, at high(er) speeds, this thing can actually build boost.

Either way,..best wishes man.

J
agreed, this vararam **** DOES work.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd imagine you'd loose a few cfm's but, doubt you, I , or your butt dyno would feel the difference.

I think your golden. Do the screens bro, they look hot.

Plus, i'd imagine they'd cut down on debree in the filter. Atleast no more small children or animals stuck in your throttle body.

J
Old 03-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

i should do a screen for my radiator. i was detailing the engine last night and i looked down and saw a brown leaf hanging out. i went to go grab it and sumabit*h, i had a popcorn bag, peanut bag, some plastic, lint, leaves and all kinds of other shyt fall out from in front of the radiator. this car is a like a vaccum cleaner.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech

J
I agree 100% with this! My dyno numbers did not change after getting the Vararam put on, but the engine is without a doubt making more power! You can start to feel it working at around 20mph or so. At those speeds and higher you'll notice the throttle response is much better. And when I go WOT, there is a big difference in pull in 2nd and 3rd gear in my car now (automatic) It used to lag a bit when it made the 1-2 shift but now it just keeps pulling hard. I fully expect to break into the 12s this season (I predict 12.89 on a real good day) I also expect to see 108 mph trap speeds or better (previous best trap was 106.0)
Old 03-04-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Vararam as the number one performer. On the fastest Z06 list 90% of the guys are running the Vararam and that should tell ya something. Check out my stock time in sig, only mods were Dr's and Vararam.
Robert
Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

If you are in to drag racing, the Vararam would be the better system up to large cube engines, in road racing, the bottom feader systems would be better. The reasons for HP improvements are the lowering of the air incoming temperature. Under 330 mph there is little to no benefit of ram air. So the choice is easy, are you into drag racing or HPDE/road racing.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

I'm running vararam with the zo6 screens here with no problems.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gordy M
If you are in to drag racing, the Vararam would be the better system up to large cube engines, in road racing, the bottom feader systems would be better. The reasons for HP improvements are the lowering of the air incoming temperature. Under 330 mph there is little to no benefit of ram air. So the choice is easy, are you into drag racing or HPDE/road racing.

Wait, I read through this a couple times before choosing to respond. You are honestly going to say that under 330 mph there is no benefit to ram air? The public school systems have truly failed...

Tell ya what. Drive around with your hand out at 20 mph, then put your hand out at 60mph. Notice any difference in velocity? Ya that's where ram air will help. I don't know of many road courses where you are below 50 even 60mph for very long at all. Most front stretches and big turns are 100+mph affairs. At least that's what I have experienced. There is absolutely no truth in saying ram air has no benefit below an insane number such as 330mph. Ram Air is going to get BETTER as the speeds INCREASE. It's a very simple affair of intake velocity, as speeds increase velocity increases, more air, also it's colder air. Don't believe me? Try another test, put some water on your hand and drive around at 30mph. Now try it at 60+ with water, your hand is colder isn't it? Also if ram air provided no gain, especially during road racing then why do you see most of the big road racers with ducting in the front of their cars directly feeding turbos/intakes? I am sure it's just for looks. Physics are a great thing........

Finally, I have no idea why you guys wouldn't show any dyno gain for the VaraRam. I personally dynoed 1 week before and then 3 days after I installed the VaraRam. With NO fans on the car I gained 12rwhp from the intake simply being on my car.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
Tell ya what. Drive around with your hand out at 20 mph, then put your hand out at 60mph. Notice any difference in velocity? Ya that's where ram air will help.
To quote you, I think the school system failed you. No flame, just quoting.
That is NOT velocity, it is drag.
Aerodynamic drag increases with the square of speed. You can strongly feel the resistance of the air if you go fast in an open car. This resistance is called drag and has the unit of a force. More than 60% of the power required to cruise at highway speeds is taken up overcoming air drag, and this increases very quickly at high speed.

For you guys who think it "forces" more air into the TB or "almost creates boost" ...I have a few electric superchargers to sell you.

Also, for those of you with the nice SQUARE Vararam intake system, remember these few properties of flow:

When it comes to the lowest resistance of moving air, a circular tube is the best, as it has the greatest cross sectional area and a minimum 'skin surface'. An oval is acceptable to a maximum width to height ratio of 2 to 1 (the aspect ratio). Square and rectangular section (the same aspect ratio applies) allows air turbulence in the four corners and has a greater 'skin surface'.
Friction between the internal surface of a tube or duct and the adjacent moving air, has the effect of slowing the air. The rougher the internal surface of the tube or duct the greater the friction.

That is all for the physics lesson today...
Old 03-04-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Blah I hate smarter older people.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Restricted User

So, now you may be asking yourself, " self, how DO I measure or determine AIR VELOCITY?"

Air velocity (distance traveled per unit of time) is usually expressed in feet per minute (f.p.m.). By multiplying air velocity by the area of an opening, you can determine the air volume flowing past a point. Volume flow is usually measured in cubic feet per minute (c.f.m.)

Hmm, CFM...I've heard that term before !

So, let us do the math:
(hint) 60mph = 5,280 f.p.m.

Vararam, Area of opening: 2 x (3x9) = 54 sq. inches

Raptor, Area of opening: 20 x 6 = 120 sq. inches.

Determine the area of the opening by measuring the Height and Width in inches and multiplying them (HxW) to get Area. - CHECK, DONE.
Convert the opening size to square feet by dividing the Area by 144. - Check, SEE BELOW.

54 sq. inches / 144 = .375 sq. ft.

120 sq. inches / 144 = .833 sq. ft.

So, NOW we can calculate air flow in C.F.M. :

Vara: .375 sq. ft. x 5,280 f.p.m. = 1,980 cfm

Raptor: .830 sq.ft. x 5,280 f.p.m. = 4,382 cfm

I choose the biggie BIG Raptor !
Old 03-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
^^^ Blah I hate smarter older people.
Hahhaa....sorry Holyshiznit. I like conversations like these !
Science is my cup-o-soup!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

how does this raptor cai work? any pics of the raptor? i google searched it and nothing is coming up
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered one last week. Do a web search for "the Z06 Shop" It will bring up their products. They have just finished the newer "bigger" raptor, (I think this is the one NOSJOHN was referring to) I don't think it's on their site yet, but they're supposed to have pics of the new system this week. They've done back to back dyno testing of the major players in the CAI's, and the new Raptor is showing greater improvement in all aspects of the testing. Mine should be in this week; I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try and get a before, and after dyno run.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

ok, now im interested in the raptor. where can i get one? any pics? i did a search of the z06 shop and nothing is coming up.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DocT
I just ordered one last week. Do a web search for "the Z06 Shop" It will bring up their products. They have just finished the newer "bigger" raptor, (I think this is the one NOSJOHN was referring to) I don't think it's on their site yet, but they're supposed to have pics of the new system this week. They've done back to back dyno testing of the major players in the CAI's, and the new Raptor is showing greater improvement in all aspects of the testing. Mine should be in this week; I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try and get a before, and after dyno run.

is there some kind of website for the raptor?

i just saw that you pm'd me. looking at it now

Quick Reply: vararam CAI