Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
are those factory rear wheels?
Affirmative.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,169 Likes on 760 Posts

And here is my 10 week review:

-I finally figured out that the Z06 needs about a 1/3 of the steering input, coming from an F-Body, that you would need to change lanes. With a small twitch, I am in the next lane. I think in the first few weeks I gave the car too much steering input and the car would sometimes get a little sloppy if I was going fast.

-Most folks on my commute are afraid to race me, I am getting zero takers. I have the occasional M3 guy who will take notice, but they won't obviously take me on.

-Drove in the pouring rain today again, and it was no big deal. Car commutes just fine in the rain.

-I'm still undecided on the stock shifter. It still seems too tall to me, and I don't think it's 2-3 shift friendly. If I hit the drag strip, I will conservatively shift 2-3 since I'm not looking to bend any shift forks.

-I had some light programming done. I had Cags removed; Torque Management removed; and now have the 2nd fan coming on sooner. Car gets up to 195F now instead of 220F. A few days ago it was the hottest day (to me) I have ever driven in, and the car got to a high of 201F. I'm still contemplating a thermostat, but will only do one if I bump up compression and/or do a cam.

-Maybe I am just used to the car, but the car needs more power now. I am waiting for an OEM ported throttle body, and a Vararam intake. I plan to dyno the car with the changes. Next stop will mostly be LG headers. I'm thinking of keeping some cats on the car since I don't want it to get much louder.

-I am hoping to hit an autocross event or something like that, so I can really see what this car does in terms of handling. I don't really have a frame of reference right now.

-All in all, enjoying this car, and would still reccomend folks get one. I put it in Competitive Driving Mode most days unless it's raining.

-I have only had wheel hop once, and it was when I was accelerating, did a 1-2 shift, but was also turning very slightly... felt a little hop. I was changing lanes gradually.

So here are my actions items:

Stage 1:
-Moderate pcm programming from Speed Inc.
-Ported OEM TB
-Vararam air box (newest design)
-Lower car on factory bolts
-Plug change, keeping stock wires.

Stage 2:
-LG longtubes with cats
-Ported heads?
-Nitto road race tires in rear on stock rims
Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I feel pretty much the same way. Specially about the car needing to be faster I've had mine for 32 days now, Already have headers and x pipe coming, CAI in my garage and tuning to do, plugs and wires are waiting aswell. I'm getting a baseline on a dyno today... then its time to mod mod mod
Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, your gas mileage surprises me. I sit in some of the worst traffic that ever lived (Charlotte, NC) and I still manage 18-19mpg city. Have you scanned it or anything to see if its adding in excess fuel somewhere?

May I recommend a shifter...MTI Racing's Six Shooter Shifter. It's awesome. It has a great, firm shift, it is shorter than the stock shifter, and is just wonderful all around. I have also used a Hurst and it was AWFUL. That shifter took so much effort to move it around that it made driving the car miserable. MTI racing shifter rocks!!

Both my bf (01 Z06) and I (98 C5) just installed Vararams. I have the older version and he has the new one. We love them. It picked both cars up considerably, you can feel the seat of the pants pep. I think the quality of the Vararam is rather crappy, but I can overlook that for the performance gain.

I had tuned my car before the vararam, and after driving the car for a few more days I scanned it again and it didn't look like it needed any changes to the tune.

Oh and you want to auto-x it?? Prepare for a hurting face...I couldn't stop smiling for a few days after the event
Old 07-20-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,169 Likes on 760 Posts

I'm not sure what my city gas mileage is, I have not been looking. I do have a short commute, less than 8 miles one way... and I tend to stay in lower gears.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
I sit in some of the worst traffic that ever lived (Charlotte, NC) and I still manage 18-19mpg city.
Charlotte traffic SUCKS ***. The things that always pissed me off the most would be sitting in hours of traffic even at 2-3 in the morning and when you get to the spot where traffic would start moving there wouldn't be anything wrong!!

Quick Reply: My 2, 6 and 10 week review: 2002 Z06