Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7
View Poll Results: Which would you prefer? Both being nearly the same price.
2007 C6 Corvette Z51
69.87%
2003 Dodge Viper RT/10 vert
30.13%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

New 2007 C6 Z51 or 2003 Dodge Viper RT/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question New 2007 C6 Z51 or 2003 Dodge Viper RT/10

Well, I sold my car a few weeks ago and I have big plans for something new and better . I will be in the market for something at the end of this summer, possibly early fall.

Question: which would you choose: New 07 C6 Z51 (M6 of course) or a used 2003 RT/10 Viper (vert)?

They are both pretty much in the same price range with the viper being slightly more in most cases. Most of the vipers I have priced have less than 15k miles (most 10k-20k mi), which is fairly low milage.

***Ill run you guys through my thought process real quick:

First of all I am a GM fan. I loved my WS6 and always envyed vettes. My father and uncle have owned a few vettes aswell. I know quite a bit about LSX motors, modifications, some repairs, pretty much a general knowledge. I always saw myself in a corvette one day when I could afford one. On the other hand, I dont know very much about vipers except the are cool looking and badass. Im not sure about what is done as far as aftermarket performance.

Corvette:
Pros: I like the idea of having a new C6 becuase of course its new, im the first owner, it is warenteed, all that good stuff. As far as modifications go the only thing I might do is bring it to MTI and put a procharger, tune, exhaust, etc. Maybe some aftermarket rims for the bling bling effect.
Cons: Arent many lol. Ive read that C6's feel kinda sluggish in stock trim, even though they still put up good times/numbers. My biggest concern is that Corvettes are everywhere. Its not like a Z06 which are a little more rare, and are more of a specialty car. I see literally dozens of C5s around with middle aged women driving them, even some guys, and the cars look terrible. Never washed, never waxed, just plain neglected. That makes the rest of the people who actaully care about their cars look bad, IMHO. If you see a viper driving along, in most cases, you say: "wow a viper, that car is awsome, i dont see many of them around" Or that could be just me...

Viper
Pros: Its a viper, It is rare, It is faster than the C6, but slower than the new Z06 (im sure a few mods would fix that.) You can say you have a 10 cylinder lol. Its a convertable which is nice. It is an $80,000+ car that I can get for around 50k 4 years later, with low milage. Is it a bigger chick magnet than the vette? I think so (unless i had a C6 Z06, ill keep dreaming).
Cons: Its used. I know little about them. Not sure of any modifications short of a twin turbo stroker kit, etc etc from RSI. I personally dont like the sound of vipers exhaust.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to step up and set me straight on the C6 .

-Steve
Old 01-23-2007, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm.... I have a better solution
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turbo the C6..APS or STS...for that $10k no one will touch you.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Turbo the C6..APS or STS...for that $10k no one will touch you.
I AGREE
Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this going to be a daily driver, or a weekend warrior? If it's going to be a daily driver, then I'd definitely want the vette. If it's going to be a weekend warrior, and just a racecar, then I'd consider the viper. I too am a GM man, always have been. It would be very difficult for me to "jump ship" to dodge...not that the viper is not an incredible car, I personally think the viper is one of the toughest looking cars made, but I just have a hard part with the "dodge" part, (non GM). That's just me though. I do believe though that you'd love either one, especially if you're making the move from an FBody (as I did last year).

Good luck man, and let us know how it works out!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Its going to be more of a weekend car. With my job, I will only be around to drive it from about 2 months then be gone for the next 2 months. So that cuts down on milage and insurance.

Last edited by Steve C.; 01-23-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Hate to break the mold but...I'd go with the viper!!!!!

But then again I'm a "car guy" not a "vette guy"

The vipers are just sweet looking cars and have much more curb appeal than the vette, I'd trade my C5 for one if I could afford one

Old 01-23-2007, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

99-2000 GTS in the $30s + mods =
Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those GTS's are sex
Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

I was in a similar boat, before I bought my z06, i had a chance to buy an rt10, was like a 94 or 95 but had almost 45k on the clock, but was pretty cheap.
My brother who's in the car bussiness, and is a car nut, wouldent let me even consider the viper, he has had a bunch and said there fast and all, but the interior is all plastic and a lil junky, and they do break, and when they break there pretty expensive to fix.
So even though I wanted to buy the viper and just use it for the summer then sell it, my brother wouldent even let me consider it. So that same RT 10 got sold to a younger kid, and first week the rear end blew up. I dont remember the amount to fix it, but it was expensive.

So with all of that said, I still want a GTS ACR Viper, just for looks. Everyone tells me that I wont be as fast on a road course because Vipers are hard to drive fast with no computer aids or anything. Maybe in a year or two I can keep my Z06 and get my dream ACR, but at that point I could prob swing a brandy new with warranty C6 Z06.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Viper > C6
C6 Zo6 > Viper
If I were you, I would look into a GTS, probably the best looking car ever and hauls ***. I can see myself being in your position someday, it would be real hard for me to part with GM and my LS1 though.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Send PM to David (poolfanatic), he owned a C5 Vert, then a GTS Viper, and then back to a C5 Z06. They were all his daily drivers, which explains why he went back to the Vette.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best bet, just go and test drive each and then make up your mind. If it's about the looks and raw power, I have to agree that the viper is a better car in that respect than the regular C6; but if you're looking at drivability, gas mileage, dependability, and still have a good deal of raw power... etc....I'd go for the vette. Difficult choice, but I'd still go for the vette...LSX dependability. and good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the Z51
Old 01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why get a 03? Get a pre 00' Viper. 99's are my fav year, last year of the forged motors. 99' Viper RT/10 (cloth top but with hard top option), 22k for SVS TT kit(installed, tuned, warrantied), 1k rwhp...... Sorry but the C6 isn't gonna come close to that for the money.

If it's going to be more of a daily then by all means get the Vette, Vipers are fun but definitely not even close to DD. Oh and Vipers are less chick magnets than you would suspect, especially with exhaust. A Vette is rolling sex, a Viper is rolling aggression.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

C6 plus few relatively minor mods, intake, exhaust, mild cam, and a mail order tune=better than Viper IMO.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

The only performance reason to go with the viper is its pure power and for drag racing. The corvette is a superior sports car/track car in every way. Think of the Viper as the most bad-*** muscle car ever created. It really depends on what you want to do with the car.

Then there is the exclusivity thing. If you really care about that, then the viper definately wins in the "wow" category.

Personally. I'd choose the viper, but that's because I already own a c5. Since I can only have one toy right now, it has to be a 'vette. But if you're not a diehard 'vette guy, the viper may be the best choice, especially if you're not into road racing events.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

I was looking into the 03 because I believe it was the first year to have the 500hp, up from 450. As I said I dont know much about vipers. Getting a GTS Viper, never really crossed my mind. Its a good thought though. Didnt know the pre 99's had forged motors . And I do like that body style over the 2003-2006 models.

The car isnt going to be a daily driver, I will be weekend and sunny day only car.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94strokedz
C6 plus few relatively minor mods, intake, exhaust, mild cam, and a mail order tune=better than Viper IMO.
If i did get the vette, I really dont want to go internal, messing with the heads/cam etc. I got that out of my system with my WS6. I had a relatively small cam (MTI G1 cam), yeah it sounded mean as hell, but it was a pain getting to idle sometimes (esp in cold weather.). And It really wasnt "daily-driver" start up and go, anyone other than myself driving would have to get used to it lol. The only thing I would do to the C6 would be supercharge it. Maybe a cam made for a blower I dont know.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve C.
I was looking into the 03 because I believe it was the first year to have the 500hp, up from 450. As I said I dont know much about vipers. Getting a GTS Viper, never really crossed my mind. Its a good thought though. Didnt know the pre 99's had forged motors . And I do like that body style over the 2003-2006 models.

The car isnt going to be a daily driver, I will be weekend and sunny day only car.
This:

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...tt-system.html

Plus This:

http://www.viperalley.com/classified...2&cat=2&page=2

Equals:

Quick Reply: New 2007 C6 Z51 or 2003 Dodge Viper RT/10