Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Whats Up with Corvette Owners..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty true but not 100%. Which is why I post over there, but mainly right here on tech.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

It could be worse. You could be on an import site....

I'm on the Ferrari site all the time, and I'd say that they are just as cool as the f-body guys. Money doesn't always make you snobbish... but I do agree that a lot of the Corvette guys I run into in the grocery store parking lot have been dicks while chatting on the way inside. To most of them they just bought the car because it's a Corvette and they couldn't care less other than what it's supposed to signify.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Teching In

I'm not the typical Corvette owner but have owned a bunch of them. I install my own clutches, do my own tire mounting & balancing etc. Worked my way up from F body cars etc. and have met tons of the type of people you are talking about. There are always a percentage of Corvette owners though who are not profiling and doing it for love of the car, real gearheads and hotrodders at heart. Having some of these true enthusiasts as friends makes it worth putting up with the snobs. I like younger guys who are modding F bodies because they aren't modding ricers.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bet there are a lot more car knowledgeable F-Body guys.

Mostly because there is a larger pool to draw from!

Also because a larger portion of Corvette owners aren't going to touch their car. The F-Body is easier to tinker with because broken parts are cheaper.

Lots of younger guys who like to tinker with cars also buy the cheaper F-Body, used especially. Older people spend the money up front and then never crack the heads of the engine etc.

Also not many people drag race their Corvettes into the deep 9's. Lots of F-Body guys (NOT typical) do that, serious tech knowledge required.

While a lot of Corvette guys are MUCH more serious on the track as opposed to just having fun at the track. Actual driving experience required, not knowing off the top of your head what goes with what in what part of what specific engine.

They might stick shocks on there and mess with the sway-bars (also of course lower it) but for track fun the Corvette (C5&C6) makes more than enough power to have fun in the stock track type stuff (SCCA). Which means you don't need to be a wrench monkey or a mechanic and you never need to learn.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Generally, I think most people on the internet have the ability of being an ******* when they want to.....self included. Did you get the satin Corvette Jacket yet?
Internet nutswingers w/ million dollar a year jobs and supermodel wives.

And us Corvette owners are not as ignorant as you think; I can spot a genuine Lloyds floor mat from a knock-off at 200 yards. Don't need the satin jacket to be in the club but ya do need the Corvette kneesocks and straw hat if you wanna be like us.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 02-27-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Internet nutswingers w/ million dollar a year jobs and supermodel wives.

And us Corvette owners are not as ignorant as you think; I can spot a genuine Lloyds floor mat from a knock-off at 200 yards. Don't need the sating jacket to be in the club but ya do need the Corvette kneesocks and straw hat if you wanna be like us.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
And us Corvette owners are not as ignorant as you think; I can spot a genuine Lloyds floor mat from a knock-off at 200 yards.

You know people have died for words less than that.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well there are ***** *** f-body owners, vette owners, mustang owners and import owners out there. The one year I went to a big meetup with my t/a, I was getting snobbed from the f-body guys. So to each there own I guess. I think that vette owners can get to cocky but so does everybody else. I have gotten a bit cockier since I got the vette, not going to lie. One guy in a ford f-150 lighting wanted to race me, but I blew him off. If I was in the t/a I would of raced him for sure. I thought about it but, just got the car washed and was on the phone. I would of spun like a madman. Plus I just got the car too, and was not that familiar with racing it yet. I hardly ever turn down a race but I have.

I have a bunch of friends I have met and they have become really good friends. They have/ or had F-bodies and the ones that sold there cars are getting vettes. I work on the majority of my cars and have learned alot about them, especially the f-bodies. The vette is a different kind of monster that I am learning more and more about.

To sum it all up, there are cocky people in no matter what car they have.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

While driving my beater and I stop and talk to Vette owners they are kind of smug untill I tell them I have a Vette as well. When I do the same thing while in my Vette, most of the owners are nice as can be. I think your typical Vette owner is smug and think they are better than you. For the most part, most of the Vette owners and cool and give me "the wave" lol.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, I thought that wave was a myth. One guy I work with has a vette and told me about the wave. I was like BS. Sure enough I have gotten the "Vette Wave" by mostly every vette owener I have seen. I still lmao when I see it.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
I bet there are a lot more car knowledgeable F-Body guys.

Mostly because there is a larger pool to draw from!

Also because a larger portion of Corvette owners aren't going to touch their car. The F-Body is easier to tinker with because broken parts are cheaper.

Lots of younger guys who like to tinker with cars also buy the cheaper F-Body, used especially. Older people spend the money up front and then never crack the heads of the engine etc.

Also not many people drag race their Corvettes into the deep 9's. Lots of F-Body guys (NOT typical) do that, serious tech knowledge required.

While a lot of Corvette guys are MUCH more serious on the track as opposed to just having fun at the track. Actual driving experience required, not knowing off the top of your head what goes with what in what part of what specific engine.

They might stick shocks on there and mess with the sway-bars (also of course lower it) but for track fun the Corvette (C5&C6) makes more than enough power to have fun in the stock track type stuff (SCCA). Which means you don't need to be a wrench monkey or a mechanic and you never need to learn.
Totally agree, Vette guys may not have as much knowledge because they typically don't work on there own cars.

Most of the guys on this forum are drag racers and if you want to drag the F-body is better suited. If you want to track the car the Vette is better. (Generally speaking)

If you want to see a good group of Vette guys stop over to the Corvette Forum Autocrossing/Road Race page. You won't hear any talk of Zanio just a bunch of track rats doing what a Corvette is good at - laying down some damn quick lap times!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scramblerman
lol, I thought that wave was a myth. One guy I work with has a vette and told me about the wave. I was like BS. Sure enough I have gotten the "Vette Wave" by mostly every vette owener I have seen. I still lmao when I see it.

I used to drive a Porsche..and they have the wave too...I started waving an dF-body guys when I got my Camaro....and kept geting funny stares and got flippe doff a couple of times....Im getting the wave from every C5 vette I see...C6 guys......[borat voice]Not so much......[/borat voice]
Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Teching In

This is why I am on both forums. I like the techincal and classifieds over here. They have all kinds of rules on their classifieds that annoy me (no OBO adds, no PM obo, ect.) I guess it hurts their feelings when someone lowballs them in their classifieds.
I enjoy both forums. I never really post over here. I just use it to look at all the engine parts and technical, then I am over there to look at body/int/ corvette only style parts and cruise ins. I wave at all the vettes and get several waves back. I never really aproach vette owners when i am out in the DD. I am afraid if they see some guy get out of a cavalier and approach them, I am probably going to rob them, LOL.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tnsyty
This is why I am on both forums. I like the techincal and classifieds over here. They have all kinds of rules on their classifieds that annoy me (no OBO adds, no PM obo, ect.) I guess it hurts their feelings when someone lowballs them in their classifieds.
I enjoy both forums. I never really post over here. I just use it to look at all the engine parts and technical, then I am over there to look at body/int/ corvette only style parts and cruise ins. I wave at all the vettes and get several waves back. I never really aproach vette owners when i am out in the DD. I am afraid if they see some guy get out of a cavalier and approach them, I am probably going to rob them, LOL.

Yeah I had some guy in a oxygenated/white C3 look at me put the hubcaps on my DD Scion xB. You know that, scumbag box-driver look.

Yeah... I had the garage door opened with my perfectly washed and waxed black Z06 sitting there.

The snooty Corvette owners never seem to believe that people own a beater/DD while the real Corvette owners who enjoy more than just the status (you don't even have to mod/work on it) are more like normal human beings.

They start to talk about their car and then sorta look down on my xB and then I say I definately like the feel of my Z06 over my older FE1 suspension C5 convertible.

I am careful though not to ever look down at someone with a "lesser car" though.

I felt really bad at how my wife's redneck father went nuts over my 1999 Z28. I gave him the entire interior (I swapped an ebony on into it) and he actually cut and fit the entire damn thing into his 1974 Camaro (with the steel front and rear bumpers).

I put over 17k into the car and then I sold it for 7k. He just had this sad look on his face that I didn't sell/give it to him (he couldn't even afford 7k for it, I actually paid the last 4 months of his 1997 v6 Mustang bill and half a year of insurance).

His dream car is an overused 1991 C4 sitting on the lot rotting at the Dodge dealership he works at.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every car group has those people, not just the vettes. The C6's do seem to have a bit of an ego though much more than the C5's. I agree with what everyone else said about the tech stuff too, I always go here when I have questions. Most Vette owners don't do there own work cuz they can afford to pay someone else to do it. It really just depends on the group you hang out with.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Launching!

I've not had a problem with other vette owners... if you make childish comments they will pick up on them and tear into them... So i think a lil before i post on a vette forum.. But i get far better help and explainations working on my vette via corvetteforum.com than i ever got on my Firebird... FYI.. this is my first vette and i'm 21... i've paid for it and everything else i have to show for... I do all my own work, but the only reason i can do half the stuff i do to my car is due to the help i get from the senior vette owners...

So my advice to keep from getting flammed... Think about what your posting... if it has to do with stgreet racing, or is disrespectful you might keep it to yourself...

many of the posters here are younger atleast from my experiance.. So LS1tech should be an ok place for everything you can't talk about with the older guys.

PS: don't take any offense from my post... i say this from experiance....
Old 02-24-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BitViper
I've been sent PM's telling me I've spelled the name wrong...and just because I'm a new owner I don't know everything..
You must have posted in the "General" section, what we insiders call the "Floor mat" forum.

I'm in the FI scene so pretty much everyone I associate with has a supercharger or twin turbo combo, so that's a radically different crowd than the clowns who would send you a PM regarding your spelling.

Congrats on your new Z and welcome to the club.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Launching!

^^ makes a decent point.. i float around in the tech section for the most part.. so everyone either has a question or an answer... it's a great balance..
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

The corvette forum has a lot of old guys on they don't work on there own cars they pay get someone to do. I saw a pics of a run in CA recently on there it looked like an old aged pensioners outing Knee socks and straw hats is spot on!

I posted a kill story and the thread got closed! Whats' the point in having a Vette if your not gonna put your foot down and blow away some wanbe in a rice burner.

Then there this old guy who posted 62 years old first Vette he gets upto 3,500rpm and then changes gear and the Vette sounds great. What's the redline for you get to 6,000rpm then it sounds great. probalbly scare himself half to death if he did get to the red line.

I not saying they are all like it but the should have a retirment section on there for the old fogeys!

Last edited by 97vetteman; 03-01-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also I think a lot of mechanic types own their F-Bodies and tinker with it.

There just aren't many mechanics who even own a Corvette. Either because of the money for the newer/younger mechanics OR the older mechanics already screwed around with a Camaro enough and now they have a family and a SUV payment to deal with.

Just look at the sponser car section, lots of Firebird and Camaro's in there.

This site is pretty much F-Body.com though anytime I ask a question and passingly mention it is for the C5 people still give answers based on a F-Body.

No I didn't break the IAT sensor bung in my lid...

Quick Reply: Whats Up with Corvette Owners..