Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Purchasing a black 99' FRC. lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Purchasing a black 99' FRC. lots of questions!

Hey everyone, I'm purchasing a Black 1999 FRC in less than a week, I have about 8k to dump in the car right off the bat. The car has the steering column lock problem, and the oil pressure sending unit is bad. other than that the car is in tip top shape.

I have a few questions. Where do I get the steering column lock delete kit? And where can I get the oil pressure sending unit at the best price?

Next, I want to do some bolt-ons for now and get some black w/polished lip CCW classics. Corsa pacecar exhaust w/ tigershark tips, TSP longtubes w/ TSP X-pipe. LS6 manifold, and a vararam intake. Where is the best place to purchase these items?

Also, I'm getting the wheels for sure, I just don't know what size they come in. I'd like to do 18 rear, 17 front. not sure on the width or tire sizes because I don't know what fits on these cars.

As far as the bolt-ons, I'm open to suggestion and that is one of the reasons I have posted this.

Any suggestions pertaining to modding this car would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind this will be the daily driver. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01sscam
I have a few questions. Where do I get the steering column lock delete kit? And where can I get the oil pressure sending unit at the best price?
It's commonly referred to as "Column Lock Bypass" or CLB and every corvette place has them however if this car is already disabled, you have to take it to the dealer and have them fix it first. Then they put in the chevy clb which is junk, then you can get the good one and put it in. Should take 10 mins. if you stop for a beer brake.
Next, I want to do some bolt-ons for now and get some black w/polished lip CCW classics. Corsa pacecar exhaust w/ tigershark tips, TSP longtubes w/ TSP X-pipe. LS6 manifold, and a vararam intake. Where is the best place to purchase these items?
Try the forum vendors first. They support us, we support them.
Also, I'm getting the wheels for sure, I just don't know what size they come in. I'd like to do 18 rear, 17 front. not sure on the width or tire sizes because I don't know what fits on these cars.
Not much. You'll find tons of corvette look wheels but there aren't many different styles... in reasonable price range.
As far as the bolt-ons, I'm open to suggestion and that is one of the reasons I have posted this.

Any suggestions pertaining to modding this car would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind this will be the daily driver. Thank you in advance.
Depends on what you're going to do with the car. Get more specific so a specific group can help you. ie; track the car, weekend warrior, daily driver.. etc.
Also, if you're going to burn $8 grand on mods, you may just want to get a much newer Z06 instead of this one. 2003 or 2004 should be in that price range.
As for the oil pressure.. go to the stickies at corvetteforum.com in the TECH section. Several options for fixing it, other than taking off the intake manifold each time.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With $8k in mods he'll have a faster car than a Z06. With shocks and bars he'll have one that handles at least as well too.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Man-Crush Warning

This car will be a daily driver, no track duty whatsoever. I'm getting this car for a very reasonable price which is leaving me money to do the mods. More input please.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it were me I would replace the wheels and tires as you already plan on. If the new tires are non runflats (which I suggest), then get it aligned to Z06 specs. If you find you still want a bit more handling, then upgrade the bars and shocks.

Motor wise if you want to maintain good drivability you can either go with a heads/mild cam package or forced induction. Either one will require a clutch upgrade. With the money you are talking about I'd see if you can budget an A&A supercharger kit with a blower cam and headers. I got to drive a friends 620rwhp A&A car and it ran like stock below 2500rpm. But man oh man let that boost build and what a monster. The only downside to this package is it may generate to much heat in stop and go traffic.

If you go the heads/cam route. I'd say you'll want a cam similar to Thunder's 224 and some nice heads like the AFR 205's or the TFS heads. Ported factory castings or the Dart 205's are also good options with lower cost. With a set of long tube headers and a good clutch you should have 430+rwhp daily driver that is very reliable.

A catback exhaust is nice for looks and sound, but doesn't really do anything power wise. So if you have to skimp, this is a good place.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Heres the rundown, I sold my mercedes for 25 flat. I'm buying the vette for 17 flat. So I have the remaining 8k to play with. The car will get a H/C package in the near future. That part isn't a problem, but for now I'm just doing the wheels and bolt-ons.

I'm wondering if the $370.00 Vararam intake is overkill or if its reccomended. If it is overkill, what would a better option be? And I haven't heard much about the TSP headers and X pipe. The price is right for that setup.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks awefully alot like the car I'm looking at!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard good things from the few owners that have the TSP package. Some owners swear by the Vararam and some complain about the filtration. I run a Blackwing and cold air screens. Seems to work fine. IAT temps drop quickly.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you get the VaraRam CAI, LG Pro Longtube headers, or at least the "street" series, and tune the beast. DD, no track duty then the cai and headers should be enough. You'll add 50 rwhp and 40-50 rwtq with cai, headers, and a tune. Good luck. Put your money in the bank and save it for a rainy day, or add to it and get a good h/c pkg. I'd suggest AFR 205's, and a g5x2 or x3 cam. Not bad as a DD in my opinion. Give Bobby at LG a call. The number is in my signature.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

Cajundude is runnin a special on the vararams

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1754832
Old 07-11-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the D1 and cam idea. Even without long tubes you'll still see a bigger increase in rwhp over any other option.

For rims those CCWs are sick, but I may suggest OEM Z06 rims in the mean time as the CCWs are going to be $5K of your $8K budget. Yeah they look so hawt, but 1/3 the price of the vehicle shouldn't be in rims and tires IMO. I think you would like the added hp over the added looks of CCWs. Just my .02

And lol at the Z06 idea. I love waxing those when the owner thinks he's fast...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Man-Crush Warning

I have oem Z06 wheels in my garage that I may put on. I've been kicking that idea around for a while. The CCW's are expensive. I really want them, but we'll see. I've been looking at exhaust and my first choice is the corsa pace car edition w/ tigershark tips (expensive!), next option would borla stinger w/ single tips, then if I wanna get a little cheaper I'll get the Z06 titanium. Anyone have some exhaust suggestions?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have oem Z06 wheels in my garage that I may put on. I've been kicking that idea around for a while. The CCW's are expensive. I really want them, but we'll see. I've been looking at exhaust and my first choice is the corsa pace car edition w/ tigershark tips (expensive!), next option would borla stinger w/ single tips, then if I wanna get a little cheaper I'll get the Z06 titanium. Anyone have some exhaust suggestions?

You'll get best gains from the LGMotorsports headers. Definitely look into those. Website is in allngn_c5's sig. I'd start with the intake of some sort, headers, and catback. Drive that for a while, get used to the gains, then you'll get bored again and you'll still have $$ for the upgrades.

You're sitting in a very nice position with this car and the cash on hand!

Good luck!

RT
Old 07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Borla Stingers with the quad tips and I love the sound. Having LTs without cats makes the cam I have much more pronounced and it screams at WOT.

I suggest listening to other vettes and picking what you like.

Here's an idea of what mine is like near WOT. Highway Run Video
Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

For bolt-ons your on the right track the LS6 manifold is a good idea since your thinking of H/C in the near future. Pretty much all the air intakes are so close its not even funny so get what ever you can get the best deal on. I agree with the LG headers idea I love mine and they are only the street series ones. For the exhaust you really need to hear a few to decide what you like best for me it was the corsas'. You may also want to look into a short shifter I hated the factory long throws and that was I think my first mod lol.

I agree with Drewstein those wheels are going to take up so much of you budget its not even funny and the OEM ZO6's look great plus I am not huge into looks as I am performance. Look around on here and the CF in the Parts for Sale/Wanted sections deals can be had there to help out your budget as well!

Good luck with what ever you go for that thing will rip on a $8k budget!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Thanks for the input guys, I think i'm gonna put the Z06 wheels on the car. It won't cost me anything because I have a set sitting in my garage.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Man-Crush Warning

I have another question, its probably a dumb one, but the guy I'm buying the car from says its a Z-51, and that all FRC's were Z-51's. Is this true?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have another question, its probably a dumb one, but the guy I'm buying the car from says its a Z-51, and that all FRC's were Z-51's. Is this true?
All FRC's are Z51 cars... and the Oil pressure senders are crap. Mine just went bad again. I've already replaced it 2x in 3 years. It was bad when I bought the car.. lol

I have a really good suggestion on buying parts.. Buy USED from the forums. Here or Corvetteforum.com or z06vette.com. Don't pay the corvette tax on new stuff. There's NOTHING wrong with a used catback and headers.

OK.. I paid the $1600 for LG Pro headers. and it wasnt worth the cost. Buy the street series if you want LG's.. Try to find a used set. There's nothing wrong with Kooks or Stainless works though. The TSP headers are a great budget header and have a nice price tag..

Here's my recommendation
- LS6 Intake used $300
- Ported TB
- Bilstein sport shocks $300 NEW.
- Lower the car FREE
- Alignment $100
- Halltech Stinger Cold Air kit. $250 (I dont like the Vararam, cause it's a bitch if you mess with your car all the time.. but some people do. It's your call)
- DONT buy an aftermarket MAF.. It's a WASTE and a Gimmick
- Headers $1000 or less if you find a deal
- Catback $500 or less if you find a deal

Thats a GREAT bolt on package.
Now if you want to go in the motor, Do an oil pump, cam springs.. etc with an underdrive pulley. If heads too if you want. TSP has a great set of stuff for a good price. Remember it's an LS1 just like an F-body.. lol

BUT... Keep in mind you will eventually need a clutch if you do any power upgrades... Trust me I know. An LS6 clutch is a piece of crap... Do a nice aftermarket like a Textralia or a RAM and with new hydraulics.

GET A TUNE with all your stuff when you are done.. It's well worth it..

Just my $.02 cents.
Steve
Old 07-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Steve01SS, thanks for the input, I took a look at your website, it answered a lot of other questions that I had as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve01SS, thanks for the input, I took a look at your website, it answered a lot of other questions that I had as well.
Haha.. cool. Yeah I haven't updated it or touched it in quite awhile..

Quick Reply: Purchasing a black 99' FRC. lots of questions!