Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Question: Why don't younger owners get involved in NCCC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question: Why don't younger owners get involved in NCCC?

We are seeing a trend in the National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC). More and more of the members are getting older, yet not a lot of new younger members are coming into the orginization. I see alot of people in their 20's and 30's with vettes, yet they don't want to get involved. Pleas enlighten me as to why this is. What do we need to change to attract the younger crowd?

We offer anything a corvette lover would love to do. Many clubs host cruises, car shows, drag racing, autocrossing, and lapping days and much more. There is someting for everybody! The people in the NCCC are some of the nicest people around!

P.S. I am 27 and have been autocrossing since I turned 16. I have a 73 and 76 coupes. I love running with the NCCC clubs over SCCA. The tracks are set up for our cars not miatas. You generally get 2-3 times the number of runs over scca events. There are alot of different classes depending on year, motor size, and the amount of mods done. I have nothig against SCCA as an orginization. I just want to see more NCCC participants.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by vettehardt
We are seeing a trend in the National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC). More and more of the members are getting older, yet not a lot of new younger members are coming into the orginization. I see alot of people in their 20's and 30's with vettes, yet they don't want to get involved. Pleas enlighten me as to why this is. What do we need to change to attract the younger crowd?

We offer anything a corvette lover would love to do. Many clubs host cruises, car shows, drag racing, autocrossing, and lapping days and much more. There is someting for everybody! The people in the NCCC are some of the nicest people around!

P.S. I am 27 and have been autocrossing since I turned 16. I have a 73 and 76 coupes. I love running with the NCCC clubs over SCCA. The tracks are set up for our cars not miatas. You generally get 2-3 times the number of runs over scca events. There are alot of different classes depending on year, motor size, and the amount of mods done. I have nothig against SCCA as an orginization. I just want to see more NCCC participants.
its a national trend .... stemming from the high divorce rates and broken families. no one wants to belong to anything!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

i work nights - so id miss all the fun
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdd
i work nights - so id miss all the fun
Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Because we feel out of place around all the old guys. I always feel more comfortable around my F-body friends.
Now, I'll go to Corvette shows, dyno days, etc. Those are always a blast. But like clubs, eh, I like younger clubs. There is a Corvette Club in my town but I just don't enjoy it because the crowd is older, they don't "enjoy" their cars like I do, and are just generally boring.
Now I belong to a car club that includes ANY musclecar, and I love it so much more. The people have a lot of fun.
Atleast that's how I feel about it.

On the other side of the fence, there are a bunch of older guys I've met in my Corvette ventures that are just some kickass guys. So, I guess it's all in who's in the club or whatever
Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never heard of it before............ which I assume 90% of other younger vette owners havent.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

I can't stand most Corvette owners. I get more dirty looks than waves. Old farts in the new z06s scoff at me when I wave, unsuspecting that I could blow their doors off.

I went to a car show once, and the local Corvette Club was there. Most of them were actually very nice, but I was bored to tears. All waxers/cruisers, no significant mods, not into racing, and a few were disgusted with what I had done to my car.

Instead I hang out with the local LS1tech group, only 1 other 'vette, mostly f-bodies, get together once a month, no formal "club" no politics, no b.s., just true enthusiasts and not a bunch of fairies who think rain melts their car and that modifying is a sin.

I think another factor is brand loyalty dissappearing. The American Auto makers are no longer customer centered. They don't give a crap about me or what I want as a loyal consumer, and while Corvette will always be #1 to me, my next buy may be a viper or something else instead of a 2nd 'vette. Hard to be completely devoted to 1 car when the manufacturer dumps on you, provides terrible products and service, and refuses to listen to what we want out of their cars. GM is without a doubt the dumbest company on the face of the earth. With any semblance of competence they could be completely dominant in the auto-market.

Last edited by will82; 10-29-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have never heard of it before. Plus I am not into formal clubs it never seems like I have enough free time to be able to get enough out of them. For me its usually hey I have a free evening tonight who wants to hang out? Or I finally have a weekend free any body going to the track? In terms of other vette owners being old and borring that cant be further from the truth up here in the northeast. These guys are all crazy and love to mod there cars it seems like no matter what their age.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Launching!

I honestly never heard of it myself. As far as clubs and such go, I try to get together with the Guys over at Corvette Forum (Chicago Crew) and we have luch and go to car meets or just cruise. Most of them are older but are gear-heads and very cool to hang out with. I'm actually one of the few without a blower on my car from the group. Soon enough tho
Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im 22 and have vette I dont think I would mix to well with the older crew thats mostly worried about keeping it stock and adding chrome under the hood.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=will82;8028960]I can't stand most Corvette owners. I get more dirty looks than waves. Old farts in the new z06s scoff at me when I wave, unsuspecting that I could blow their doors off.

I went to a car show once, and the local Corvette Club was there. Most of them were actually very nice, but I was bored to tears. All waxers/cruisers, no significant mods, not into racing, and a few were disgusted with what I had done to my car.

Instead I hang out with the local LS1tech group, only 1 other 'vette, mostly f-bodies, get together once a month, no formal "club" no politics, no b.s., just true enthusiasts and not a bunch of fairies who think rain melts their car and that modifying is a sin.QUOTE]

This sums up my feelings on the matter.

Most Corvette clubs I’ve encountered are too diverse for their own good. There tends to be a few members who are into modifying and racing their cars. Unfortunately it seems the majority of members frown upon this, and let you know in no uncertain terms they don’t approve of your desecration of the almighty Corvette
Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, pretty much what I'll say is summed up already...
I get so many burn-in-hell looks it's kind of comical, unless it's another young person.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

I'm 27... member of the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

I am 28 and in my local corvette club. There are a few people in the club that have the same ideas I do and also like to fix stuff up. There is also the group of people who just do the wax stuff and also like to go on long trips. I would be down for some of the trips, but I am not making enough money and cannot get of work that easily. It is also the difference between the younger working people and the older retired people.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Because most of the older members think we are not good enough for the MIGHTY CORVETTE. Any modifications obviously desecrate the mighty Corvette, unless it is chrome bling, or Vette Essentials interior garbage. **** that.

Seriously, I mostly hang around F-body/Mustang/GTO people. Much more fun groups.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OKcruising
I get so many burn-in-hell looks it's kind of comical, unless it's another young person.
yep...
Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 28. I've never heard of this club. However, I work out of town Mon-Fri and am gone every other weekend and have only been to one of my local clubs events. I don't have time to be in a club. I can see on the forums when they meet and if I can make it, I go. If not, no one emails or calls me to see where I was. Good.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

If any body is interested go to http://www.corvettesnccc.org/ and look for a local club that is part of NCCC. This orginization is completly volounteer run. Anybody may run for an office. The only way to change things is to get involved. I don't even like most of the way "waxers" put down somebody who goes out and races their car. I just keep telling them, the cars were saved from extinction by racing and built to do so. In fact, in my club my family are the only ones that race their cars. We go to the Autocrosses and get to be around many more people who enjoy racing from all ove the country. The freindships we have made there have been worth their weight in gold!

As for moded vettes, we welcome all kinds and have a clas to put you into. Examples:

Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Staging Lane

Also, all of our racing takes place durring Saturday and Sunday and sometimes even on monday if it is a holiday like Labor day. There are events going on almost every weekend somewhere in the country. You can choose to go to any of these events you want.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Well most of the replys here sum it up, but heres my experience

I live in the same area as Will82, so were talking about the same peeps

I ran into our local Corvette club for the first time at a local cruise in about 4-5 months ago. I saw a really nice Z16 Z06 with some sweet underhood painting, so i asked who the owner was to complement him and ask him who his painter was. I was met with a bit if smug attitude, but it got really bad when he asked if i had a vette, and i told him i had a 97 C5 (garage queen, extremely clean and was parked 2 spots away from him). Immediately he got a major chip, asking why i bought a "slow" C5??? Honestly i was pretty taken back by his statement, and got instantly offended , i responded rather immaturely with something along the lines of a challenge to see just how slow my car was (450-460 RWHP is what i make, he was stock).

I could have written this off as just 1 douchbag, but after i "challenged" his comments about my car he turned to all the other club members standing there patronizing me with "this kid wants to race me in his 97 c5", well they all turned and laughed at me. Now im not that old, but im 29 and have served the last 10 years in the Military active duty, i dont consider myself a kid.

Anyways at this point im pretty upset, so i decide to do the right thing, walk the 2 spots to my car, get in, Fire it up, let them listen to my MS3 as i lope by them all smiling ear to ear and drive off.

Now, i AM going to give this local organization another shot by attending one of their regular meetings soon, but to be honest i dont have high expectations of the reception or type of people im gonna meet.

Quick Reply: Question: Why don't younger owners get involved in NCCC?