Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Show me your laid down raidators(please).

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Show me your laid down raidators(please).

I'm about to try this mod friends. Don't know EXACTLY what I am getting into but....i'm gonna do it.

Any chance anybody has pictures of HOW they mounted them...what kind of fasteners did you use..welding locations?...etc.

Or even finished products from the top would be awesome too. Just trying to get some visuals.

I have this to go by...
Attached Thumbnails Show me your laid down raidators(please).-ttproject24.jpg  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive never seen anything like that!! Pretty cool, but is it effective?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

That looks awesome!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastvet
Ive never seen anything like that!! Pretty cool, but is it effective?

Seems to be.

car are traditionally bottom feeders... don't see why it couldn't work... Question is, is the factory radiator good enough now?...

Still waiting on pictures folks...
Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

this all i got if u need underneath shot let me know
Show me your laid down raidators(please).-img_0085_renamed_4658.jpg

Show me your laid down raidators(please).-img_0087_renamed_8532.jpg

Show me your laid down raidators(please).-img_0089_renamed_14544.jpg

Show me your laid down raidators(please).-img_0088_renamed_11088.jpg
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Rob, thanks for taking the time and posting those pictures for me, I appreciate it. But, I ment laying FACE down, not tilted like mine and your in the picture.

What I am trying to do, is clear some space, that is taken up by the radiator assembly. Soo, what my thought/plan is, either size the width of the radiator down, and buy a whole new one,...and custom fans....OR, take my stock radiator and fan assembly, and lay them face down. As in, the radiator will be looking directly at the ground,...laying flat. The FANS, will still be bolted to the radiator but,..those will be laying flat as well, right on top of the radiator. So, when you look into the engine bay, you'll be looking at the fans, facing skyward.

Thats what I ment bro. But, again, thanks for the attempt.

-J
Old 04-08-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.spdkilz.com/Spdkilz/Twin%...ttproject6.jpg

http://www.spdkilz.com/Spdkilz/Twin%...tproject11.jpg
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

looks really odd I have to say... how are you getting enough air flow through the radiator for it to be effective.... Fans cant run 100% of the time.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bzettler83
looks really odd I have to say... how are you getting enough air flow through the radiator for it to be effective.... Fans cant run 100% of the time.

traditionally, these cars are bottom feeders... pulling in air, directly under the bumper. Just looking at the factory shroud from underneath, will show that. Hopefully, it'll get enough cool air.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

I just now got what u ment sorry could not help
Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by racerrob333
I just now got what u ment sorry could not help

No worries bro, I appreciate the effort.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

bump it up.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn J, what do you have up your sleeve ?? Are you about to go Twin turbo on us ?? Good luck with your project. Can't wait to get details. Could you pm me.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Damn J, what do you have up your sleeve ?? Are you about to go Twin turbo on us ?? Good luck with your project. Can't wait to get details. Could you pm me.

...i'm about to do something dawg...pm in the works.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
AVB
Launching!

This runs with a TS front and ACP extractor hood. Front fed air is trapped and can only go through either the radiator/condenser or intercooler. The center vent of the ACP hood does a good job of pulling air through the intercooler from the top. Kinda like the lotus setup.

If this didn't work I would have gone full horizontal, but after running 20minute DE's and keeping coolant temps under 215*, didn't need to. Before I move the intercooler to the top, I could run 3 or 4 hard laps and be forced to cool it down. Not anymore!

Last edited by AVB; 04-27-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AVB
This runs with a TS front and ACP extractor hood. Front fed air is trapped and can only go through either the radiator/condenser or intercooler. The center vent of the ACP hood does a good job of pulling air through the intercooler from the top. Kinda like the lotus setup.

If this didn't work I would have gone full horizontal, but after running 20minute DE's and keeping coolant temps under 215*, didn't need to. Before I move the intercooler to the top, I could run 3 or 4 hard laps and be forced to cool it down. Not anymore!

Wow man, you've got a pretty wicked setup. Nice. Thanks for posting.

Is that a proturbo system? Very curious about it, if you wouldn't mind posting more pictures of it, and the setup, that would be great. Also what size turbo's are you running? Anyways..very nice. And if you have anymore pics of the radiator setup....that
d be great as well so I better understand.

Interested at more of your hood shots as well...since it seems to be a big part of extracting? the air.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
AVB
Launching!

Here's a shot from the front, from slightly below, showing the bottom of the intercooler and the condenser. This is the cavity that is directly behind the big TS opening and all airflow is directed into and trapped. I used the flex hose temporarily so I can check if things actually work before putting something more permanent/rigid in place. If they looked flattened, they were just to allow more air past them. Those are the one's from up top coming from the turbo inlets and go down to right below the headlamps where air filters cap them off.

The radiator sits in normal pro turbo fashion and my sig has turbo size.

Here's a shot of a previous hood, the ACP magna-extractor (I run the non-magna version now). As much as I'd like to think it actually pulls air up through the intercooler, I can't say for sure. However, it does a great job of releasing underhood pressure allowing for good airflow.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks....pretty wild setup. Sure the car sounds wicked.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this back from the dead....

Im looking into something like the ones that Vseries linked in my FC project. Is their anything one could do to try to maximize the amount of airflow that makes it through?

Cowl hood maybe? Vented Hood to create a negative pressure under the hood to draw more air in??

Im very strongly considering the option so that i may do something a little outside the box.

People having much luck?

Id love to see some pics from under the car as well if anyone can show some???
Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

DAMMIT!!!!(sorry, I responded twice, each time, my pc acted up)(had to start over, 3rd attempt).

Well, I have had a few different changes in the vette since this originated, which ended up now with a PTK kit like the one AVB had in this thread. This kit is SUPER HOT temp wise, and was very difficult to work with, or even bare on the car. I ended up doing multiple things, all of which had a major hand at helping me kill the heat monster living under my hood. I still run a stock C5 radiator, and my temps stay at 187 degrees, never really going to the 190's,..and rarely, if ever in the 200 range. I owe this to wrap, insulation, and ventilation.

I wrapped my headers, turbo assemblies, coated them on cold and hot sides. The turbos sit right on top of the radiator, no doubt super heating anything near. I decided to add NACA ducts to my hood, right above each inlet of each turbo. This helped more with IAT's then anything else. However, it was drastically cooler under my hood. I also removed hood seal, on firewall. I also removed the front license plate frame, and modified it, added a screen, and that seems to give the intercooler a direct blast of air. Also insulated the hood,...which saved my paint on the outside of the hood, from blistering from the hot *** turbos. A must.

New, which I haven't tested, I added rear vents onto my stock hood. Each is placed above my tubular headers, which should be a pressure/flow area, which I am hoping the air brought into the engine bay via NACA ducts and frontal opening, I am hoping is evacuated by the two rear vents. Also, I have insulated the firewall, framerails, and front fenders.

Also, my radiator, I removed the front lower support square tube that goes from left to right(your front air dam is fitted to it)...by cutting it off the front cradle, and moved it 6 inches forward, which gave the radiator a natural rake, which lowered the height of the radiator, allowing me to place two turbos on top of it.

old pic but you get the idea of raidator angle...

Quick Reply: Show me your laid down raidators(please).