Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Roof or no roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof or no roof?

Is the Z06 worth the extra performance, and fixed roof? Or is it better going topless in a coupe, and get the full sensory experience of speeeed!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I was in the same dilema as you. I ended up buying a Vert and now taking it to Ryne over at CMS to do cam, Fast 92,Tb, etc. Now I will have the enjoyment of both worlds. I would choose topless and modify it to be the same or if not better than the ZO6.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I guess it comes down to "structural rigidity". For hard core enthusiast a hard top is good. I mean a Miata feels fast cause its a drop top. Thats why I'm thinking a coupe might be the way to go...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often will you be on the track / road course where you can take ful advantage of what the Z06 offers? If not very often, I'd vote for a coupe/vert. With the difference in price, you can mod the car to regain some of the lost performance.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same dilema when I purchased. I decided that I really wanted to be able to pull the top on a nice day. I have been very happy with that decision. It is easy enough to enhance the performance of a coupe if you choose to.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never liked the looks of verts and I realized that after having a t-top T/A for 4 yrs and rarely taking the tops off that I didn't really care. I love the body line of the FRC/Z06. I also don't like having the lower model of a sports car. I mean with the T/A even though it would whoop the sh_t out of a WS-6 people still looked at a stock WS-6 as being a better car. Now they can't say crap although the top model does come with a price as mentioned.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

I agree. In my case I rarely used the T-Tops on my WS6. On the Corvette side, modding is a lot more expensive than F-body. Yes, the Z06 has the higher initial price, but I think it's worth it. I personally prefer the FRC body over the standard coupe. I actually looked at coupes for the price reason but quickly backed down from that route.

To a lot of people, a Vette is a Vette. That, and girls generally like verts more. Lucky for me I bought my car for myself, and not anyone else. Test drive both and go from there. When it comes down to it, buy what makes you happy. Simple as that.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Teching In

C6 Z51 coupe or C5 Z06 would be a flip of a coin for me.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

I like my coupe, and if your going to upgrade anyways, then dont worry about the power on the z06, cuz you can easily pass it with upgrades to the engine. I take the top off on a good day, and it attracts more attention than when i have it on.

on a side note, not to fond of the convertables!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah IMO, I think ya'll are too lazy to take the T-tops, and or roof off! It's well worth it. Obviously you guys didn't enjoy it enough to opt for a coupe.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally do not like the body lines of the ZO6 or FRC nearly as much as the coupe and I just dont care for any converables but thats just me. I take the top off my coupe all the time, it only takes about 22 seconds. Plus like others have said with very few mods you can crush a Z06 and still come under the price of one.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blacked Out
Personally do not like the body lines of the ZO6 or FRC nearly as much as the coupe and I just dont care for any converables but thats just me. I take the top off my coupe all the time, it only takes about 22 seconds. Plus like others have said with very few mods you can crush a Z06 and still come under the price of one.

Aye!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Teching In

AGREED!!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus like others have said with very few mods you can crush a Z06 and still come under the price of one.
Given that a C6 Z06 with DRs can get into the 10s, the list of very few mods better include a S/C or nitrous. It still takes a cam swap + headers on an LS3 to get to Z06 power and then you don't have the weight savings of Z06 or wider tires of the Z06.

Yes, a LS3 with cam is less $$ than a Z06
Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Given that a C6 Z06 with DRs can get into the 10s, the list of very few mods better include a S/C or nitrous. It still takes a cam swap + headers on an LS3 to get to Z06 power and then you don't have the weight savings of Z06 or wider tires of the Z06.
Yes, a LS3 with cam is less $$ than a Z06
Pretty sure they meant C5Z...it would definitely take quite a few mods to "crush" a C6Z. I still don't think it takes just a "few" mods to crush a C5Z unless you're talking about the biggest bang for the buck made (NOS). I would think you would need a cam, LT's, supporting mods, tune, and traction to hit 11's in a coupe. Not just a couple of mods but you could definitely buy the coupe and with the money saved mod it and have a faster car...in a straight line at least
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Order! Order in the court!

C5 or C6 both can be made extremely fast. Going that fast with out a roof is mind blowing!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

AGREED+10K i LOVE having the ability to take the top off and wave buhbye to most Z06's at BIR the other day i was only .2 tenths slower then a C6 Z. Although he couldn't drive it appeared coupled with the shitty track prep. We BOTH should have been running better
Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I did not mean a C6Z those are a completely different monster than the C6 compared to the C5 and C5Z. With a few mods I meant cam and headers which really is not that much in the mod department. With all this being said however I am certainly not bashing the C5Z all ZO6's have a sort of regalness to them. When you have a vette most people that know a little about them ask if its a ZO6. But I know they are at least a little jealous when I drive by with my top off and they are stuck with having the a/c on.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

I love having a glass top! in the summer its never in I hate A/c lol I dunno what an expensive mod is then because for the cam and stall its pertty expensive^^^... I love both cars infact if i could do it over i would have probally bought a Z for the performance but to each is ther own get the car that makes you happy
Old 05-23-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

I dont have a vette(yet), but I would be looking at an FRC or a Coupe....Never a vert.....

My plans are to get a Z06 or a good C5, and then calling Kenne Bell to order up one of their kits, and a nice blower friendly cam with supporting mods to go with it and calling it a day engine wise(don't plan on going over 7psi).

I will upgrade the drive train as needed, and call it quits.....