Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Calling Larry out: C6 against Wife in Cl55

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, why not.. Tried to get next to one at the light yesterday but just missed him.

Nice thing about the 80 grand Z06 M6, most the guys I see running them around have not shifted a M6 since the late 60`s..lol So, the % of poor drivers is very high..

As you can see in the C6 video, even paddles in the A6 give you guys fits.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by 99RedHawk
As you can see in the C6 video, even paddles in the A6 give you guys fits.
True...but not all of us.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

I got a lowly C5Z06 and I'm in Houston..
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

This is the most entertaining thread ever. LOL
Old 07-08-2008, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been woring on Benz for about 5 years now. The 55s are fun but the cl55 is a tank. Im actually doing a bunch of work to one right now. I think the vette is alot faster. Oh ya never own that car out of warranty,you will kill yourself the first time something breaks. And things will break.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I found out why there was so much confussion, misshsifts and other misunderstandings.. It was not Larry`s fault at all. See below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2065242

As I mentioned in a earlier post above, these vette`s are high VOC machines (Volatile organic compounds). I noticed when Larry opened his door that it almost made me pass out from the fumes being out gassed! It must have been like him spraying glue in a bag and putting it over his face. It all makes sense now!! Side Effects= confusion, speach loss, hand to eye cordiantion (mis-shifts, slow reaction time) and even hallucinating (seeing a Benz behind him when it was not)..

Oh ya never own that car out of warranty,you will kill yourself the first time something breaks
Kill myself over a car breaking?? That is funny!LOL You breathing to many fumes too? Better work on out gassing that vette if you own one or will will literally die!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99RedHawk
I found out why there was so much confussion, misshsifts and other misunderstandings.. It was not Larry`s fault at all. See below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2065242

As I mentioned in a earlier post above, these vette`s are high VOC machines (Volatile organic compounds). I noticed when Larry opened his door that it almost made me pass out from the fumes being out gassed! It must have been like him spraying glue in a bag and putting it over his face. It all makes sense now!! Side Effects= confusion, speach loss, hand to eye cordiantion (mis-shifts, slow reaction time) and even hallucinating (seeing a Benz behind him when it was not)..

Kill myself over a car breaking?? That is funny!LOL You breathing to many fumes too? Better work on out gassing that vette if you own one or will will literally die!
You guys are frickin killin me...lol..can this get even better ??
Pitt
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow i have no idea what you are talking about with the fumes thing. Im sure if i read your link i might get an idea but i have a cl55 to fix. I dare you to keep that car a couple years out of warranty and try and keep it in perfect condition. Then you will remember back to this tread. Send me a pm and ill gladly tell you "I told you so."
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

LMAO at this. I've also been a Benz tech for 4 years now. Sure that CL55 is nice when new and you don't have to pay for repairs, hope you have an extended warranty though! Just wait until the suspension starts acting up bc of dirt in the fluid and it no longer sits at the same height for more than 3 seconds. Yeah, the valve blocks alone are over a grand a piece, you have 2. Struts are 1500, you have 4. ABC pump might as well be a million dollars plus don't forget the labor which I will be more than happy to do at $138/HR on an ascending grid. Oh yeah, your car runs mid 12's stock. Have fun with that.
BTW, that clunking noise over bumps are your ball joints at 6.5 hrs labor.
Also the Benz paddles are more of a novelty for rich people that like to feel like they have an F1 car. Other than that, they are pretty bad and the trans takes about 3 seconds to shift with the older systems.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sprayed and Mark, lets get back on topic here, so this does not turn into a Benz Tech thread.. LOL. A CL may run mid 12`s up in Chicago land but not in Houston and not with me or my wife behind the wheel. As I remember, and you can ask Pro stock John, Car`s are just slow up there for some reason. Anyone know why? I had more chicago boys call me a cheater than even the guys in Lousianna in the late 90`s; when these forums first opend up. The cars are just slow up there and mouths BIG! After 10 years, still do not know why .. Oh yeah, don`t care either.

This CL is 5 years old and has had no troubles but tires..lol! Maybe we take better care of our 120 grand cars down here and have less dirt/snow and drool comming out our mouths. When I add up all your hours and labor for the the TWO issues you mentioned,, THAT Equates to fricking coffee money. Damn sure not enough to DIE over..LMAO! Come on, can we get back to Vette VS CL and When Larry can meet at the track.. I have a box of mods just dying to get put on the car but I have to stay stock unitl Larry can get to the track.

Last edited by 99RedHawk; 07-09-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

My coffee costs 2.14 a cup, and that's Starbucks! Don't know what kind you're drinking.
None the less, good luck with your CL, you WILL need it. And I would love to see this race take place as well. Whoever this guy is you're calling out will hopefully come on out and wax you. But at least you will have 10 fans blowing on your *** to cool you off after you lose.
Anyways, it's a nice car, but don't think that bc it's more expensive or is a Benz that it is better than anything else out there.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,208 Likes on 773 Posts

Same old Brook.

He was quick back in the day but now he's got an old man car now .
Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i cant wait to hear about the drag race. i was considering getting one of those cl55 but moreso an e55 or s550. i could only assume the s600 are slower due to weight... but i have been dying to know how they fare against a c6 vette. cant look at the you tube link at work though...and those repair costs might be coffe prices to some but thats like a third of a house downpayment to others. oh and i love todays market. those 120 grand cars can be had for a mere 28-40 now. MMMMMM POWER AND LUXURY. ...even though headers are 5 grand.... and like every renntech upgrade is 5 grand each.... they dont nickle and dime you, they go straight for both arms and both legs.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I see some guy driving a CL 63 big 4 door sedan around here, what is that car? V12?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

120 grand for a benz!!!!????!!!! Forget that! I'd rather pay 80 grand for a new C6 Z06 and still wax the floor out of that benz, stock! ...or better yet, fork out 100 grand and get the new C6 ZR1! Its still cheaper than the benz and WAYYYYYY more powerful! That should be a good race, huh, supercharger vs. supercharger!!! LMAO!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I see some guy driving a CL 63 big 4 door sedan around here, what is that car? V12?
If it's a CL63 then it would be a 2 door NA 6.3 V8. A CLS63 would be a 4 door or an S63 as well, could be a E63. The V12s are either x600 or x65, those are tons of fun...

And yeah, the real pricey cars drop in value real quick. When the CL65s first came out 2 yrs ago, sticker was $189K, plus dealer markup for the first ones put you over the $200K mark. Now, same car can be had for around $100K. You got to love rich people, got to be the first to have the new toy on the block no matter what it costs them in the end...
Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

It's a silver 500/555 big 4 dr sedan, and says ___ 63 on it, and it's AMG with the unique front grille/fascia.

Back to this thread, only way Brook will catch Larry's LS3 C6 is if Larry lets him .
Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think Larry will not go to the track anymore and maybe just street races now. Who knows? May have to look for another stock 2008 C6 to run at the track..

Hey PSJ, Vettes and Benzes are all for us old men.. The S63 is the new AMG 6.3 litre N/A motor 517hp and 480 TQ or so. This new N/A motor replaced the 55 Kompressor motor.. IT comes in the S, CL, SL, E and the new Black seires C class. This little C63 4 door sedan will fly!! To small for me though but will fit you.

The car is no better than any other car (not sure why the word Benz freaks people out) , it is just the best car for us. Having imense Luxury, world class suspenion and a blower is fun. The cabin of this car is a true driving experience. We have like 4 SUV`s and trucks, plus the 72mph Pro bass boat.. Just needed some luxury and nice power to go with the fleet. C6 zo6 would be a nice addition too and is on the list. I have driven them a lot. The composite fumes inside them are tough to deal with though. The LS motors series are great!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Ive been woring on Benz for about 5 years now. The 55s are fun but the cl55 is a tank. Im actually doing a bunch of work to one right now. I think the vette is alot faster. Oh ya never own that car out of warranty,you will kill yourself the first time something breaks. And things will break.
Telling Brooke about breaking cars is like trying to tell Patton about tank warfare. You need to pull up a seat and listen, rather than lecture.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Telling Brooke about breaking cars is like trying to tell Patton about tank warfare.
That is funny. I forgot about all those Kabooms.

We used to say never say never but this is my Last Post on this thread. Been fun after all these years seeing a few of the old names chime in. If I get a c6-z06, then I will be back or get into any track runs against C6`s. This was all just fun and games on this thread but as always not everyone will thin so.. Ahhh, the fun of the net and arguing over street racing

Finally, as promised. I next day aired my new ATAP CD in for the Benz to check IAT and timing . Just had to see why the car ran so strong cold then nose dived after that.

Being a S/C engine,, IAT reading are a lot hotter and this engine relies on a Intercooler pump to keep the IAT temps down.. On the benz, anything above 150 deg. will start to pull timing. At around 200 deg. the blower will be shut off by the PCM via a clutch. I expect the New ZR1`s to work simuliar to this too.

If I drive out of the house go a few miles,, IAT is at 145 deg. already. This seems to be ok and was probably very close to what they were on the first Vid. run you saw from a dead stop. Max timing will be around 20 deg. only on this S/C engine with 93 octane. After making only one run at 0-70mph, IAT goes up to 180 range and timing is pulled hard to only 11 deg or so. We then drive 2 miles but still very little IAT recovery. Make another 2 short runs and IAT go to 208 and no timing!! Larry had his ATAP , as he knew what temps would do to his car (only -3deg.), unfortunatly they are more extreme on the S/C car.

Moral of the story, I need a new Intercooler pump (only 100 bucks of cofffe money )
and the will be back in action. We verfied last night and this AM ,,that we were good for one run only last week ,in this condition and heat. Have fun, good luck and wish all of you to make all the money you need!!!

Quick Reply: Calling Larry out: C6 against Wife in Cl55