Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Best suspension mod for a 2001 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best suspension mod for a 2001 Z06

Ive started to get into road racing and still some dragging every once in a while. i wanted to know what would be the best mod for a road course, my Z seems to have a bit more body roll than i would like. Should i do all poly bushings and aftermarket sway bars or is there another way out?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

Bilstein shocks are probably the best "bang for the buck" mod.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
Bilstein shocks are probably the best "bang for the buck" mod.
So hotchkis sway bars and bilstein shocks would firm it up enough to take the corners a bit harder.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Whiteboy572ci
So hotchkis sway bars and bilstein shocks would firm it up enough to take the corners a bit harder.
That's about all I'd do... upgrade to the metal endliks on the swaybars ('01 Zo6's got plastic ones) while you're at it... you'll have a well balanced package that would be great around town in addition to the track.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Launching!

bro . you need coil overs. a friend of mine that i work with ( v-seriestech) - has them on his FRC, and that car handles like its on rails. i have an 01 z06- and im experiencing the same problem that your having. ( the swaying thing.)--- but yeah - night and day difference in the cars--. .. coil overs-- look into it. -- im putting some on my ride as soon as the funds are right.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your going to be very serious about road racing, don't spring for coilovers at this point without getting a competent oiling solution going on. Even bone stock suspension but with some wide *** stickies (think 305 R's in front and 335 R's in rear), you can and will see 0 oil pressure in some cases.

Here's some options in the short term that work great:
Get some wider meats, you can fit stupid wide tires on these cars if you don't mind the aesthetic deviation and no-slam idea.

Bilstein, sways, bushings.

And if you want a bit more of extreme, you can mix and match parts with T1 racing parts.

Last edited by OKcruising; 07-13-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Default The Pro's and Con's of Racing....

If you wanna get "stupid serious" about racing... yeah pop the BIG-cash and go coilovers... it will handle like it's on rails around the track.... and like an ox cart around town.

If you want the blend get the combo, and still have anyone who rides around town not comment about it "characteristics," get the combo I've mentioned previously.

On a side note... (to gauge your true use of the Zo6)

A person I know is a regular around the Atlanta Motor Speedway (Road Atlanta) where the Petit Lemans is battled out with the C6r and the aston martins....

He's good, but you know what? his pride and joy '01 Zo6 is fubar'd.... and it only took one turn...

So, how "on rails" and "on edge" do YOU want to go?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Coil overs.

I've installed DRM(dougRippieMotorsports), LG motorsports, and breathless performance.

I highly recommend the first two,...and not the last. I run the DRM's on mine, with Z06 front and Z51 rear. I run a 295 front fikse profile 5s, and a 335 rear. Cousins Z06 runs the LGs with T1 sway bars and fikse FM5's, 265 fronts, 335 rears.

I'd put on some toyo's,....the coilovers, at the very least Z06 bars,...and you'd have a whole new idea of what the car SHOULD handle like. think lane changes at 170 plus capable.

However,....with the rigid suspension,...and how quick the car reacts and responds to bumps,..you quickly see why most road race cars use spoilers. @ WOT, if I hit a bump,..the car does get lite... and throttle control becomes very important, even at speeds over a hundred, hundred and twenty mph. So, run a good tire with the coilovers at all times. If your real hardcore,..consider a REAL spoiler.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch!! On post #7. You need more than suspension mods peeps. A buddy of mine put on some sticky tires and got a performance alignment b4 changing his suspension and his car changed tremendously. He opened my eyes via handling..
Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
If you wanna get "stupid serious" about racing... yeah pop the BIG-cash and go coilovers... it will handle like it's on rails around the track.... and like an ox cart around town.

If you want the blend get the combo, and still have anyone who rides around town not comment about it "characteristics," get the combo I've mentioned previously.

On a side note... (to gauge your true use of the Zo6)

A person I know is a regular around the Atlanta Motor Speedway (Road Atlanta) where the Petit Lemans is battled out with the C6r and the aston martins....

He's good, but you know what? his pride and joy '01 Zo6 is fubar'd.... and it only took one turn...

So, how "on rails" and "on edge" do YOU want to go?

Doesn't look totaled to me. Air bags are out,...I see body damage...radiator damage cause I see the coolant.... what else?

Thne again, the door is sagging...the rear looks crushed.... guess it's time to make it a real racecar.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So what do you guys think of the T1 suspension setup compared to a coilover setup?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VINCE
So what do you guys think of the T1 suspension setup compared to a coilover setup?

Coilovers and T1 = RACECAR

Coilovers and Z06= almost a RACECAR

I have no personaly experience with the full T1 suspension but, I do know that alot of autocross champions still run leaf springs,...as well as some big track cars. People wil always have great results with T1 springs but,...if theywhere better,..why don't real race cars use them?

Porsche, Ferrari,...etc...use coilovers in all performance cars. As a note. Besides that,...i'm not sure if you work on your own car or not but, you'll greatly appreciate the more room to work and get around parts on the car with coilovers. Remove that nig wide leaf spring and you'll have full access to the oil pan and front suspension. Ride height,...is simple to adjust as well. Very easy. I think I I figured out my ride height in 2 shots. About 15 minutes time.

Besides that,...springs are soo easy to change,...if your hardcore enough, you could easily change the rear springs on the car without a lift,...for drag outtings...

Anyways, for me, I truly think coilovers are the honest way to go,...and again,...they make it soo much easier to work on the cars. Way easier.

Just my .50cents
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I'd love me an FRC with T1 bars, LG coil overs, half inch lower (bolts) good performance alignment, all new bushing, and some hoosiers. Ad some brakes and power to that and you got one hell of a capable car.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Hey V-series, did you save weiht ditching the leaf springs for the coil overs?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's how much space can be freed when you ditch the leaf spring

508, it's pretty a small difference between the 2 types.

I ditched my T1 (saida hasta to the shocks and transverse springs, kept everything else) because I was not happy with the non-adjustability and some other small factors. Not to detract from the T1, but it wasn't as extreme as I was wanting, but it worked quite well. Basically the hate on the T1 is that's harder to adjust.

With coilovers, a simple change of the dials yields a nice comfortable ride home! Unlike T1, where... your well pigeonholed.

PS.... the best handling mod you'll ever do is the driver mod, and then tires. Suspension merely helps the tires.

Last edited by OKcruising; 07-15-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

good thread...... comparing costs, there close... i guess its really a matter of opinion
Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pfadt coil overs
Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 PM
AVB
Launching!

The adjustable pfadt shocks are nice since what feels good in the street, is normally changed/stiffened for the track. Same with the adjustable bars... make sure they have some adjustability in there and you'll be much happier. Not necessarilly Pfadt themselves, although that's what I run and am extremely happy with them, but the added feature of adjustability is a must have.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

I track my car 5 or 6 times a year. What seems to be the nice compromise is 04 z06 shocks and t1 sway bars. The 04 shocks are supposed to handle undulations in the road better then the bilstein's. the 04s are better because they were designed for a corvette.
The t1 sway bars can be used with stock end links if you have 02 and up, or you can buy the lg quiet end links and they are supposed to not clunk as much.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 508Stroker
Hey V-series, did you save weiht ditching the leaf springs for the coil overs?

Yes, weight was saved very much. Not sure how much but, you'd be surprised of the weight of the leaf's.

Quick Reply: Best suspension mod for a 2001 Z06