Polluter Track Times???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billyflantos
and 300lbs would'nt take him from mid 10's to the 9's either....
And a gutted fox body is a far cry from a F-body that in interested in gains from the cam only. The OP asked for a cam only street car so your hybrid is not even asked to speak up.

Oh yeah I'm 3745lbs with a smaller 230 cam and run better than your gutted fox, Its all in the setup.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stumprrp
i still dont see the arguments in this thread, if billy had put a smaller cam in his motor it would lose power and go slower, i mean isnt it common sense?
So if he put a bigger cam would he go faster?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i have an old junkyard truck motor with a 4" crank and some old truck heads my car is 3500 lbs. I'd run that mustang to prove a point but my cam is too big.

I mean cubic inches and cylinder head flow doesn't matter it's how big the cam is.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
And a gutted fox body is a far cry from a F-body that in interested in gains from the cam only. The OP asked for a cam only street car so your hybrid is not even asked to speak up.

Oh yeah I'm 3745lbs with a smaller 230 cam and run better than your gutted fox, Its all in the setup.
the op asked about polluter cams not 230 cams or type of cars their in....and it doesnt matter what car its in because you can make f-body's light also...my car weighs 2790 and has a tag on it and i do drive it on the road every now and again....lets set something up with my gutted out fox if you think you run better than my peice of ****(as you put it)......we both live 10 minutes from the mooresville dragstrip....

Last edited by billyflantos; 06-02-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
Well i have an old junkyard truck motor with a 4" crank and some old truck heads my car is 3500 lbs. I'd run that mustang to prove a point but my cam is too big.

I mean cubic inches and cylinder head flow doesn't matter it's how big the cam is.
what i said 18ci and my heads do flow alittle more than 241's but not that much more...its not like i got a 400 plus ci motor with a set of ported heads...and yes you're more than welcome to come down here and run my mustang...i'd like to see how i would stack up against your big cubic inch motor in a heavy car against my stock motor in a light car...

Last edited by billyflantos; 06-02-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
And again the facts are that you have more cubic inches, better heads, more compression, 3speed, carb/intake and a bigger cam than him also.

But there is no doubt that he runs in colder weather than any track around here even opens for.
everything is true with what you said except its debatable if i have a advantage with the carb set up and the turbo 350 part(because i think i would benefit from a lock up style converter)..and yes i think his car runs great i never said it didnt...but high 9's is a big step from mid 10's also...and yes when the weather cools down i will be in the 9's...god willing...

Last edited by billyflantos; 06-02-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

what i said 18ci and my heads do flow alittle more than 241's but not that much more...its not like i got a 400 plus ci motor with a set of ported heads...and yes you're more than welcome to come down here and run my mustang...i'd like to see how i would stack up against your big cubic inch motor in a heavy car against my stock motor in a light car...
My NA numbers are no count because my car is set-up for a heavy shot of nitrous. I thought about putting a bigger stall in the car but I really want to drive it on the street regularly. What tracks do you go to?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stumprrp
i still dont see the arguments in this thread, if billy had put a smaller cam in his motor it would lose power and go slower, i mean isnt it common sense?
my stall to big for a small cam to do any good...so the answer is no a small cam would'nt help me...
Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This thread is rediculous. Joncr96z is right about one thing, there really isn't anything special about our cam. Slide a t-rex, ms4, vengences similar cam, megadeath or whatever the crap it is or any of the other "big" cams that fit in a stock longblock into the same car and they are all going to run about the same. Price is a comparison point, as well as the marketing and customer support.

If you put this cam into an otherwise stock f-body that should weight somewhere around 3650 lbs with an average driver with the stock gear outback and a miss-matched converter then Joncr96z is right about something else: A 230/230 cam will probably run better numbers at the track. A smaller cam will be more forgiving if traction is a factor also.

I'm pretty confident that a 230/230 cam isn't going to make nearly the power that my car makes nor will it run nearly as good with my overall combo, or billys for that matter.

If this cam was installed in the average f-body that goes to the track it should only be expected that the car have 15" drag wheels, drag tires and maybe a few other weight reductions (like ditching the spare). So we'll say 3500 lbs race weight is probably the norm. Give that car a 4.10 gear in a rear thats capable of handling the abuse, an appropriate stall or a lauch rpm of atleast 6500 rpms with the right clutch and tires and theres no reason this cam shouldn't run 11.50 or better for everyone that runs it. People who post track times with 2.0 short times shouldn't even post.... We've got bone stock suspension cars all the way down to the shocks that have cut low 1.40 sixty foots. Bolt on cars cut 1.50s with traction and the right stall or a real launch rpm.

The sad truth is, we really don't have anyone local that I know of who has our cam and a drivetrain that will handle the abuse of a drag strip in an otherwise full weight f-body. Our cam only car has made 446 rwhp through a 5.00 geared 9" with 28" slicks. Thats not the norm, but that shows what it is capable of with the right combo. We've got a few polluter cars with TFS 215 heads making in the 490 rwhp range. With all the bolt ons they should make north of 500 rwhp in the manual tranny cars. With a little research one could probably find other examples of similar cams that have also made numbers as good as 520 rwhp with the stock bottom end and 215 tfs heads.

The overall combo is what is important when talking track numbers, not the cam. The right converter in an automatic car is more important than comparing 230 duration cams to 240 duration cams. With that said, the "right" converter seems hard to come by. And if we're talking stick cars, if you're running a cam that makes power to 7000 rpms then you need to lauch it at 7,000 rpms. Launch it higher and harder until traction becomes an issue or you break something.

Billys foxbody is a rocket that will put plenty of 408+ builds with aftermarket heads to shame at the track. Yes his car is light, and if anyone else wants to go as fast as him their car will be light also. 6.33 in the 1/8 is no joke...most cam only cars aren't within a second of that in an f-body...with or without weight reduction and whether they run a 230 cam or a 240 cam.

We came up with this cam because its the biggest thing we feel will fit and still have a safe amount of piston to valve clearance. With the right supporting mods it should make more power than anyones 230's duration cam in a "cam only" setup. With the right overall combo it will run better than anyones 230's duration cam. Its still very driveable, so we basically market it to anyone who wants to make as much power as possible with a "cam only" setup.

And since I've wrote a book already anyway, I might add that our "cam only" polluter shell of a racecar went 109mph in the 1/8 on a throw away run. The next run we planned to turn it up a bit but it tried to drag the bumper off and then cracked the block on its return to earth. This was with a 150 shot and a raceweight of 3100 lbs. We were hopeing for 6.20's or better with several more mph rowing the gears.

-Jonathan
Old 06-02-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My NA numbers are no count because my car is set-up for a heavy shot of nitrous. I thought about putting a bigger stall in the car but I really want to drive it on the street regularly. What tracks do you go to?
mooresvile,rockingham,darlington,farmington and a few others...it sounds like to me you need a converter or i need a shot gas to have a good race...lol
Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

mooresvile,rockingham,darlington,farmington and a few others...it sounds like to me you need a converter or i need a shot gas to have a good race...lol
Bring that thing over to the shop and we'll throw a shot on it.... A little plate kit should get that thing deep in the 5's/9's and still be plenty safe on those stock rods and pistons
Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

I am pulling the trans. out to go with a th400 or a 4l80e. so the converter will most likely get changed. Let me know next time your headed to rockingham and ill bring my car out. You taking the LS powered stang to f-body week?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Bring that thing over to the shop and we'll throw a shot on it.... A little plate kit should get that thing deep in the 5's/9's and still be plenty safe on those stock rods and pistons
Gas to gas sounds better to me. Or you guys can bring that shop car down and get drug by a street car.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am pulling the trans. out to go with a th400 or a 4l80e. so the converter will most likely get changed. Let me know next time your headed to rockingham and ill bring my car out. You taking the LS powered stang to f-body week?
heck no,i catch enough hell on here...lol
Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let me get back from pinks this weekend...i'd like to see how fast i can go on a 150 shot...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Gas to gas sounds better to me. Or you guys can bring that shop car down and get drug by a street car.
lol, it ain't gonna be a cam only setup the next time it hits the track...and it may not be a 6 speed either. Don't bite off more than you can chew
Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

lol, it ain't gonna be a cam only setup the next time it hits the track...and it may not be a 6 speed either. Don't bite off more than you can chew
Fair enough.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fair enough.
lets just say that if that "true street" class we both know takes off I'm planning on running it and I don't expect to lose lol. I'll still have 15 degree cathedral port heads tho
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Price is a comparison point, as well as the marketing and customer support.
The price is good for a new cam. Can't fault you there.

The sad truth is, we really don't have anyone local that I know of who has our cam and a drivetrain that will handle the abuse of a drag strip in an otherwise full weight f-body.
If you're confident in your cam. Give one away to one of your customers with a heavier car. It you can show some good before and after results, then I'm sure you'll make up for your small loss with extra sales and word of mouth advertisement.

Billys foxbody is a rocket that will put plenty of 408+ builds with aftermarket heads to shame at the track. Yes his car is light, and if anyone else wants to go as fast as him their car will be light also. 6.33 in the 1/8 is no joke...most cam only cars aren't within a second of that in an f-body...with or without weight reduction and whether they run a 230 cam or a 240 cam.
Like Billy, it seems that the 6.0 and shaved 799s that a "cam only" f-body wouldn't have just slipped your mind. There may or may not be much of a difference but there would be a difference.

We came up with this cam because its the biggest thing we feel will fit and still have a safe amount of piston to valve clearance. With the right supporting mods it should make more power than anyones 230's duration cam in a "cam only" setup. With the right overall combo it will run better than anyones 230's duration cam. Its still very driveable, so we basically market it to anyone who wants to make as much power as possible with a "cam only" setup.
Again there's more to this than making power on a dyno. I came in this thread originally to see some track results from a car other than yours and Billy's. That didn't happen though. This is one of the only off-the-shelf cams that seems to have no drag racing results (outside of Mooresville) to back it up.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

lets just say that if that "true street" class we both know takes off I'm planning on running it and I don't expect to lose lol. I'll still have 15 degree cathedral port heads tho
Good luck, judging by all the crying from the Ford guys if you win one they'll change the rules up on your *** so fast your head will spin. That's why I decided to put my car back to a street /grudge car and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Polluter Track Times???