Crew member killed at Pro-Mod race

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Crew member killed at Pro-Mod race

A crew member was killed while preparing an A/PM today.
The N2O bottle exploded killing the man and then flew a good distance
before landing in the RV section.
Remember your safety procedures, and how dangerous our hobby is.
Be careful and think about what you're doing when working around these monsters.
A lot of young guys here, don't get complacent, stuff can happen anytime, anywhere.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

what team was it?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I wasn't going to post the name, but it's all over already.

The man killed was Mike Walker.

They are posting he was the co-owner of the Blake Housley Pro Mod car.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw this over on the bullet, so sad
RIP
Old 04-24-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R.i.p.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

sad to see another enthusiast go. its a shame such a fun sport to partake in and when you complacent and laxidazal (spelling) bad bad things happen to good people. i hope people keep their eyes open with safety so we dont have anymore mistakes

May god be with us all.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Our prayer go out to the family!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Launching!

The bottle didn't explode. It wasn't over filled or over heated. It was in an approved heater. And he made a mistake when he picked it up and the bottle had an un-approved valve with non correct fittings in it.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

I don't want to drag this out, out of respect for the deceased and his family/friends, but what about the valve made the bottle explode? I tried to filter through everything on the bullet, but it ended up being 15 pages of " don't use a torch"
Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

nitrous section on yellowbullet,thread in there, page 9 10 11 have the answer.

The bottle didnt explode and it had nothing to do with heating with a torch. Just a bad chain reaction of events. Sad.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks buddy.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Launching!

I dont keep up with everything on yb because to much here say. But the bottle was in an approved heater. It was not over filled or over heated. It had a non approved valve in the bottle with some fittings that should not have been used. He picked the bottle up to look at the pressure and either dropped it or when he picked it up it broke the valve off it and then went of like a rocket. It wasn't his fault because he didn't make the valve setup that was on the bottle. Our race trailer was 2 parking spots down from his. Its a very bad deal and a mistake that shouldn't have happened had it had the correct valve and fittings in it.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by N20GMC
I dont keep up with everything on yb because to much here say. But the bottle was in an approved heater. It was not over filled or over heated. It had a non approved valve in the bottle with some fittings that should not have been used. He picked the bottle up to look at the pressure and either dropped it or when he picked it up it broke the valve off it and then went of like a rocket. It wasn't his fault because he didn't make the valve setup that was on the bottle. Our race trailer was 2 parking spots down from his. Its a very bad deal and a mistake that shouldn't have happened had it had the correct valve and fittings in it.

Gotcha. The thread in the N2O section like Cam said, was actually pretty civilized. Monte Smith broke down what happened.

To be honest, I'm a little freaked out by all of this. I've been guilty of doing this type of stuff hundreds of times. My lesson learned is that I need to buy diffuser caps for my blowdown fittings to keep bottles from spinning if something happens.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

here is what was posted so far: seems really close to what you witnessed, GMC.

Originally Posted by Yellowbullet
Update on DRO:

There has been considerable speculation regarding the tragic fatality at the just completed ADRL National Event at South Georgia Motorsports Park this past weekend. Contrary to what is being written DRO has managed to piece together a least some accurate information. First no bottle exploded and their was no heating of the bottles with a torch. What is known was that the bottles were in a standard heating device- all of the bottles involved have been recovered in one piece. the victim had removed them from the unit and was transporting the bottles to the race car. While carrying the bottles he dropped one and damaged it resulting in the Nitrous venting off. In an attempt to recover the first bottle he dropped the second and somehow broke the valve off of the bottle creating a rocket projectile which hit and fatally wounded the crewman. Our deepest sympathies to all involved.
-JB [4/26/2010]
It was also stated the above might not be enitriely true as he was not transporting them to the car when this event happened. But still an eye opening experience.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Thanks for posting more info. After all the know it all keyboard tough guys ruined all the threads.
I couldn't go back, it pissed me off to read all their crap.

A racing brother is gone, it was an accident, I don't need to hear from all the morons that weren't even there what happened.

I just wanted all you guys to know there was an accident, and be careful with your stuff.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Yes he there are a couple different stories, but I believe he was picking a bottle out of the heater it had a valve that shouldnt have been on it. When he picked it up by the valve and gauge to look at the pressure it broke a brass fitting that shouldnt have been on there either and thats what started it.

It really is a bad deal because he didnt install all that stuff on the bottles he bought them like that.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Thanks for posting more info. After all the know it all keyboard tough guys ruined all the threads.
I couldn't go back, it pissed me off to read all their crap.

A racing brother is gone, it was an accident, I don't need to hear from all the morons that weren't even there what happened.

I just wanted all you guys to know there was an accident, and be careful with your stuff.

its a shame something so tragic had to happen to wake people up and make them realize how dangerous these tanks can be.. my thoughts and prayers go out to the family...

i work with alot of high pressured tanks being a welder... one thing i dont understand is y the hell dont these tanks have a screw on cap to protect the valve if u were to drop it... just like welding tanks... even though welding tanks are around 2000psi but still 900 psi in a 10 to 15 pound nitrous bottle is still extremely dangerous
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rice4eatingnotdrivin
its a shame something so tragic had to happen to wake people up and make them realize how dangerous these tanks can be.. my thoughts and prayers go out to the family...

i work with alot of high pressured tanks being a welder... one thing i dont understand is y the hell dont these tanks have a screw on cap to protect the valve if u were to drop it... just like welding tanks... even though welding tanks are around 2000psi but still 900 psi in a 10 to 15 pound nitrous bottle is still extremely dangerous
It IS a very tragic thing, and I agree with you as a fellow weldor, I never understood why nitrous bottles dont have caps... Then again 20-40 cu ft oxygens/co2's dont either... @2200+psi

Quick Reply: Crew member killed at Pro-Mod race