Stock ls6 motor traps 130+

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BlackGmc
People just don't understand sometimes what -2000 DA can do to the track times
I'm sure it does.....if you use the track to exploit it. You can tell on vetteboys run that he did'nt use the track there for da did'nt mean much. I went 11.15@130.xx last year with my bolt-on ls6 in +600ish da. Went back to the same track this year with some changes and went 11.05@ 131.3 in -200 da. Now just the changes I made shoulda netted me the 11.0 run but since I had a duff o2 sensor the da change negated the difference in da......not to mention my 60' sucks so I never use the track very hard.

Some people think da can take a 12.0 car and make it run a 11.0.....and that is not the case at all. Absolute best case scenario is one tenth off per 1000'.......if you car is boosted it's about 1/2 that.....or less.

Not to mention usually the track is cold on these great da days.....People just don't under estimate what good track prep can do for track times

Last edited by HioSSilver; 12-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I'm sure it does.....if you use the track to exploit it. You can tell on vetteboys run that he did'nt use the track there for da did'nt mean much. I went 11.15@130.xx last year with my bolt-on ls6 in +600ish da. Went back to the same track this year with some changes and went 11.05@ 131.3 in -200 da. Now just the changes I made shoulda netted me the 11.0 run but since I had a duff o2 sensor the da change negated the difference in da......not to mention my 60' sucks so I never use the track very hard.

Some people think da can take a 12.0 car and make it run a 11.0.....and that is not the case at all. Absolute best case scenario is one tenth off per 1000'.......if you car is boosted it's about 1/2 that.....or less.

Not to mention usually the track is cold on these great da days.....People just don't under estimate what good track prep can do for track times
With all that being said tell me why all the best times are made by the East coast guys from Dec-Jan? Weather plays a big part in drag racing period.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

With all that being said tell me why all the best times are made by the East coast guys from Dec-Jan? Weather plays a big part in drag racing period.
I said it does. I just said there are other factors. Track prep plays a big part period.

The problem here is people trying to split hairs about it. Weather IS NOT the only thing that gets a car down a track and probably the last thing that makes a difference to someones times barring any extremes.

Sure some of tracks on the east coast are fast. Go run at them if you want.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

I said it does. I just said there are other factors. Track prep plays a big part period.

The problem here is people trying to split hairs about it. Weather IS NOT the only thing that gets a car down a track and probably the last thing that makes a difference to someones times barring any extremes.

Maybe ill make a trip one of these days
I wasn't saying weather is playing the largest factor here but the East coast tracks are fast for sure and can't beat the weather.

For Example from what i read on the CF my Corvette was fastest or one of the fastest LS3 stock converter corvettes.I wonder what it could do over on the east coast heh.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe ill make a trip one of these days
I wasn't saying weather is playing the largest factor here but the East coast tracks are fast for sure and can't beat the weather.

For Example from what i read on the CF my Corvette was fastest or one of the fastest LS3 stock converter corvettes.I wonder what it could do over on the east coast heh.
I know from runnin at my local track at around 550' to MIR @ 40' and -da to be common there I usually see no difference. But that's because my car is not using the track hard enough to get much out of the weather/da. You have to have a car pretty hooked up to even get near corrected times. One bobble, launch being a little off or shifts not being perfect can negate the weather factor by alot.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing numbers for a LS6!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

+1...when we do hangover fest here on January 1st DA is always -2000+ but traction is nil.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Default parachute

most bolt on cars have parachutes. didnt you guys no that?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I thought to my self "no way" But then the more I think about it the more I think that it is possible. I know I'm bench racing but after 30 years of racing and being around cars I can usually come close to guessing what a car is capable of running.
My WS6 was over 3600 pounds and with nothing more than MAC headers and Y pipe,home made CAI and a lid ran a little over 114MPH. This was with no tune and it was so rich that the plugs would be black after a pass. Now take the stuff that this car has over my car and see what you come up with.

Wheels and tires, I had 9 and 11 inch wheels with 275 and 315 tires.
Full length headers and exhaust, I had mid's and stock cat back.
Fast intake and TB, I had stock LS6.
LS6 heads and cam. I had stock ls1.
Gearing that keeps the motor in the fat part of the curve better.
Electric WP and no accesories. I had everything.
A good tune that probably has perfect AF/R and max timming with 0 knock
Now add in what him being over 600 pounds lighter then my car is worth.
See what you come up with and no matter how you look at it drag racing is basic math and always seems to work out the same way most of the time.

FWIW Back in the early 90s I helped a friend of mine that was into NHRA stock class racing. I sold him my 85LX coupe and with a 210HP stock spec built 1985 5L motor,Stock carb,intake,heads,cam lift,and stock shortblock he was in the 11 @115. Thats when I started to realize the difference in an efficient working chassis and what I was trying to do with a street car. I made allot more power and ran the same ET he did in the same type of car.
The other thing is that today allot of the younger crowd loves dynos and all the cool numbers they spit out but although they are a great tool they dont mean a thing at the track.

One other thing to consider is weather. Take for instance,My 03 Cobra.
On a Saturday back in 03 at New england Dragway it went 117MPH three passes in a row. I loaded it on the trailer and took it home. Never took it off the trailer and never opened the hood. Went back to the track the following wednesday 4 days later.Pulled it off the trailer and ran 120 to 121 all day.
Thats three to four MPH increase in just the change in DA.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jleews6
At first I thought to my self "no way" But then the more I think about it the more I think that it is possible. I know I'm bench racing but after 30 years of racing and being around cars I can usually come close to guessing what a car is capable of running.
My WS6 was over 3600 pounds and with nothing more than MAC headers and Y pipe,home made CAI and a lid ran a little over 114MPH. This was with no tune and it was so rich that the plugs would be black after a pass. Now take the stuff that this car has over my car and see what you come up with.

Wheels and tires, I had 9 and 11 inch wheels with 275 and 315 tires.
Full length headers and exhaust, I had mid's and stock cat back.
Fast intake and TB, I had stock LS6.
LS6 heads and cam. I had stock ls1.
Gearing that keeps the motor in the fat part of the curve better.
Electric WP and no accesories. I had everything.
A good tune that probably has perfect AF/R and max timming with 0 knock
Now add in what him being over 600 pounds lighter then my car is worth.
See what you come up with and no matter how you look at it drag racing is basic math and always seems to work out the same way most of the time.

FWIW Back in the early 90s I helped a friend of mine that was into NHRA stock class racing. I sold him my 85LX coupe and with a 210HP stock spec built 1985 5L motor,Stock carb,intake,heads,cam lift,and stock shortblock he was in the 11 @115. Thats when I started to realize the difference in an efficient working chassis and what I was trying to do with a street car. I made allot more power and ran the same ET he did in the same type of car.
The other thing is that today allot of the younger crowd loves dynos and all the cool numbers they spit out but although they are a great tool they dont mean a thing at the track.

One other thing to consider is weather. Take for instance,My 03 Cobra.
On a Saturday back in 03 at New england Dragway it went 117MPH three passes in a row. I loaded it on the trailer and took it home. Never took it off the trailer and never opened the hood. Went back to the track the following wednesday 4 days later.Pulled it off the trailer and ran 120 to 121 all day.
Thats three to four MPH increase in just the change in DA.
All this is true. Thanks for the insight and personal experience.
The tune is conservative. ~ 12.4 afr and 24*
The rims are 10" and tires are 16" drag radials (255) ~ 26 inches
Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by welman transam
most bolt on cars have parachutes. didnt you guys no that?
Most sentences begin with capitals and have correct grammar too. lol
Just joking.
Most people should test their parachutes before they have to use them.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

saying d/a doesnt make as much of a difference for boosted cars is ridiculous. i went from running 106 to 109mph on a 1400ft d/a change... the 109 run i was on the rev limiter before the first timing box, so ill say it would have gone 110-111 easily. thats an easy 4mph in the 1/8th mile only difference being d/a. the boost was the same because my hallman was turned up as much as it would go each time plus i never touched it between runs.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
saying d/a doesnt make as much of a difference for boosted cars is ridiculous. i went from running 106 to 109mph on a 1400ft d/a change... the 109 run i was on the rev limiter before the first timing box, so ill say it would have gone 110-111 easily. thats an easy 4mph in the 1/8th mile only difference being d/a. the boost was the same because my hallman was turned up as much as it would go each time plus i never touched it between runs.
Boosted cars have a considerably stronger gain in cool weather. You will gain maybe 2x as much as an N/A car depending on boost levels and type of intercooler. My Grand Nationals felt like I threw a 75 shot on them on a cold winter day.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If that was true the NHRA corrections wouldn't look the way they do. IATs make a big difference but FI will suffer less from DA changes than an NA engine. DA is more than just temperature.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Boosted cars have a considerably stronger gain in cool weather.
Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
If that was true the NHRA corrections wouldn't look the way they do. IATs make a big difference but FI will suffer less from DA changes than an NA engine. DA is more than just temperature.
I don't know if you were referring to my post or not, but if so, I specified temperature not D/A. And, I can tell you from experience turbo cars pick up way harder than N/A cars in cold weather. This is especially true with air to air or no intercoolers. Air to water or chemical intercooling may be less so.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

gentle men this car is legit. Exactly what he said he has ran which was the 10.75 @ 130. what he has done to this car is all 100% true whether you want to believe it or not. He is an outstanding guy and one badass driver. Dont be jealous of what you dont have which is a badass vette.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I don't know if you were referring to my post or not, but if so, I specified temperature not D/A. And, I can tell you from experience turbo cars pick up way harder than N/A cars in cold weather. This is especially true with air to air or no intercoolers. Air to water or chemical intercooling may be less so.
Correction factors are less for boosted cars. Check out dragtimes.com calculator. They don't call the things altitude compensators for nothing.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

because the rest of the year were salt water fishing, water skiing, crabbing, hunting, making believe were gang members riding harleys, and hanging at the beaches
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
because the rest of the year were salt water fishing, water skiing, crabbing, hunting, making believe were gang members riding harleys, and hanging at the beaches
Hell yea . Why does ayone go to the track when it's 90* out?? I'm busy riding my jetski then or my RZR or just chillin by the pool.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Hell yea . Why does ayone go to the track when it's 90* out?? I'm busy riding my jetski then or my RZR or just chillin by the pool.
We do all of that year round.

Quick Reply: Stock ls6 motor traps 130+