Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > RACING DEPARTMENT > Drag Racing Results
Reload this Page >

On average, what times/traps are you guys with 402-418's running?

Notices
Drag Racing Results Track Times | Records | Testing Info
†Timeslip Database CLICK HERE

On average, what times/traps are you guys with 402-418's running?

 
Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 AM
  #1  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (77)
 
98RedBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 2,702
Default On average, what times/traps are you guys with 402-418's running?

Just curious what most of you guys are running N/A.

I've got a 416/TFS 245/FAST 102 combo going together and have been told that it's not going to get into the 10's without spray. I thought these setups ran faster than that?

Raceweight will be around 3400-3500 with me in the car. 4k Stalled auto, MWC 9"

Elevation is around 500 ft, so not bad.
98RedBird is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 AM
  #2  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: No VA
Posts: 1,468
Default

If you cant get in the 10's with that setup then you have a serious problem. Basic heads/cam 6.0's in 4000lb IRS cars are running low 11's, with 416ci they are easily in the 10's. A TFS head 408 in a 3500lb fbody easily runs mid 10's so you should be WELL into the 10's with a good launch.
SLOW SEDAN is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 AM
  #3  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Jtm2085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,090
Default

I agree, my ls6 goes 10's with a not so great converter. You should be mid 10's fairly easily
Jtm2085 is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:20 AM
  #4  
TECH Addict
Thread Starter
iTrader: (77)
 
98RedBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 2,702
Default

Okay, that's kind of what I was thinking. But the engine builder (who is pretty well respected around here) said he just doesn't see it being a 10 second car. He guessed 11.3 to 11.4. I thought that seemed awfully slow. I'd be pretty bummed if this build didn't go mid to high 10 at at least 130.

He also said that the TFS 245 is just a mediocre expensive N/A head. That the ported L92's would have performed just as well for a better price, which I also didn't know if that was accurate, I always thought the aftermarket cathedrals just flatout went down the track faster than the LS3/L92 stuff?

Geoff at EPS said he thought I'd be DEEP in the 10's and said that the 245 is a fantastic NA head for the 416.

Just conflicting info I guess.
98RedBird is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:31 AM
  #5  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (8)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 5,084
Default

I would flush those tfs heads down the toilet for a set of stock ls3 heads.

The ls3 heads have more intake options to.
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:08 PM
  #6  
8 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: No VA
Posts: 1,468
Default

Originally Posted by 98RedBird View Post
Okay, that's kind of what I was thinking. But the engine builder (who is pretty well respected around here) said he just doesn't see it being a 10 second car. He guessed 11.3 to 11.4. I thought that seemed awfully slow. I'd be pretty bummed if this build didn't go mid to high 10 at at least 130.

He also said that the TFS 245 is just a mediocre expensive N/A head. That the ported L92's would have performed just as well for a better price, which I also didn't know if that was accurate, I always thought the aftermarket cathedrals just flatout went down the track faster than the LS3/L92 stuff?

Geoff at EPS said he thought I'd be DEEP in the 10's and said that the 245 is a fantastic NA head for the 416.

Just conflicting info I guess.
It will be a 11.3 second car... with a 2.1 60' lol Sounds like your engine builder doesn't know what he's talking about. I've run LS3 heads, small cam, big cam, yawn... went to cathedral and never looked back.


Originally Posted by HioSSilver View Post
I would flush those tfs heads down the toilet for a set of stock ls3 heads.

The ls3 heads have more intake options to.
Cathedral has plenty of intake options that work. And if you throw TFS heads in the trash, let me know they certainly clamp down better then LS3 heads for 40+MPH backhalfs!

You sound like you're friends with his engine builder lol.
SLOW SEDAN is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 PM
  #7  
9 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
N2RACINGLS1's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East, TN.
Posts: 1,181
Default

Well my little 346 CI HCI 3,400 lb. Formula has run a best of 10.49 ET. I really think you will be fine!

Good luck.

N2
N2RACINGLS1's is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 PM
  #8  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (8)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 5,084
Default

Yea 346 can run 10s easily. My bolt on ls6 went 10.7.


Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN View Post
It will be a 11.3 second car... with a 2.1 60' lol Sounds like your engine builder doesn't know what he's talking about. I've run LS3 heads, small cam, big cam, yawn... went to cathedral and never looked back.




Cathedral has plenty of intake options that work. And if you throw TFS heads in the trash, let me know they certainly clamp down better then LS3 heads for 40+MPH backhalfs!

You sound like you're friends with his engine builder lol.
He's not trying to run 40+ mph back halfs. And even if he was there's a holt pile of heads i would use before tfs.
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:53 PM
  #9  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (1)
 
01CamaroSSTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 894
Default

Well after reading these posts my car should be 10 second capable. I know that hard launches and sticky tires have a tendency to break **** and my youngest son did make a valid point. "Are you making $$ doing it and do you have the $$ to fix it when it breaks?"

Uhh No! But I'm still gonna do it because I love drag racing!
01CamaroSSTx is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:08 PM
  #10  
9 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
N2RACINGLS1's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East, TN.
Posts: 1,181
Default

I should have said my 346 engine has made 400 plus 10 second quarter mile passes not just 1 or 2 glory passes!

N2
N2RACINGLS1's is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 PM
  #11  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (8)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 5,084
Default

That's awesome. I was just getting the fab 9 sorted some on the second time out. Was 10 bolt lyfe before that, makes it tough with a stick car on and a bolt on engine. Ive always said a h/c ls1/6 should be able to beat a bolt on engine.
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:40 AM
  #12  
9 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
N2RACINGLS1's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East, TN.
Posts: 1,181
Default

Trying not to hijack Redbirds thread so this will be my last post.

No one would ever need to buy aftermarket parts if we all had those special LS6 engines with all of those nefty bolt on's like you have installed in a car weighing less than 3,000 pounds without driver. Your engine is so special it trapped a freakish record setting number, congrats to you and it's accomplishment!

Now back to the original question that Redbird asked.

You should be in the 10s as long as you have a decent 60 foot time and the tune is good all should be good with a DA of around 500 like you stated at a weight of 3,400 to 3,500 pound car.

Good luck and have fun!

N2
N2RACINGLS1's is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 PM
  #13  
10 Second Club
 
Doug G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Harford Co. Maryland
Posts: 3,881
Default

Not sure about your combo, but LY6 with a cam and stock shaved heads (10.8:1) at 3420 with driver 10.9's NA and still needs tuning.
Doug G is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 AM
  #14  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (15)
 
Z28SteveA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New jersey
Posts: 546
Default

Not to knock the engine builder but it’s hard for me to believe he’s done a lot with these engines then. We have a bunch of not very aggressive 402s running 10s in 3,300-3,500 lb street cars with working a/c. I would think even a very mild 416 would hit high 10s at that weight and an ok 60’.
Z28SteveA4 is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:24 AM
  #15  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (8)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 5,084
Default

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's View Post
Trying not to hijack Redbirds thread so this will be my last post.

No one would ever need to buy aftermarket parts if we all had those special LS6 engines with all of those nefty bolt on's like you have installed in a car weighing less than 3,000 pounds without driver. Your engine is so special it trapped a freakish record setting number, congrats to you and it's accomplishment!

Now back to the original question that Redbird asked.

You should be in the 10s as long as you have a decent 60 foot time and the tune is good all should be good with a DA of around 500 like you stated at a weight of 3,400 to 3,500 pound car.

Good luck and have fun!

N2
Why so salty? Personally i like seeing people get great results. .2-.3 isn't exactly great over a bolt on engine but hey. That's your results and mine are mine. Btw my car didn't weigh less than 3k that day. Had a rw of about 3250 that day.

Now in the end op should run bottom 10s with a 4xx ls easy if he dots his i's and crosses his t's. It wouldn't even have to be anything super special going off either of our results.
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM
  #16  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 631
Default

When running N/A the first 60 feet are the most critical in the run. With a stalled auto this is especially true seeing that your not shocking the tires on shifts like the manual guys can.

I see see no reason why tens N/A with 3500 lbs and 4XX ci isnít possible. In fact, Iíd question the setup if it didnít. My old setup was a 4K stall with a stock ls1 except lid and exhaust and ran 11s with 3500 lbs with 321 rwhp, so you should run tens with a similar stall and weight with that much engine.
jhshnh is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:12 PM
  #17  
Launching!
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 261
Default

Your engine builder sounds like a guy who has spent too many years building Gen 1 SBCs.

You'll be in the 10s with no prob once you get the car sorted out. Good luck and have fun.
HeavyMetl is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:51 PM
  #18  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (8)
 
HioSSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 5,084
Default

Hell a solid build sbc 4xx ci sbc can easily go 10s. None of these et's are new it's just a bit easier and a more streetable package these days.
HioSSilver is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 AM
  #19  
10 Second Club
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 3,195
Default

For NA I’d use ported stock ls3’s Over TFS 245’s
big hammer is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 03:52 AM
  #20  
TECH Resident
 
TTur1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 837
Default

[QUOTE=HioSSilver;20079494]I would flush those tfs heads down the toilet for a set of stock ls3 heads.

The ls3 heads have more intake options to.[/QUOTE

There is a member running 7.50's in the quarter running those heads with a single turbo in the drag race section. So
TTur1996 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: