How do you drive the finish line? Lets talk strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:41 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How do you drive the finish line? Lets talk strategy?

How do you guys/gals drive the finishline? I have been working hard this year on this. I always try to cut a good light and dial her tight? How about ya'll?

Coach
Old 04-21-2006, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You Run The F$%king It Out The Back Door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

225-343-9029
Old 04-21-2006, 05:58 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my only strategy is to try and put together a very small package.

.520 light and lower
dial it dead on... it runs 6.121 i'll dial 6.12 again...

my car is on alcohol and its pretty dang consistent

i try to make my finish pakage .028 and lower...

its hard to beat dragsters at the finish line when you only run 6.12 and they run 4.99's
Old 04-21-2006, 05:59 PM
7 Second Club

now when i race pro braket i am at the bottom of the spread so i might give up 1 number and try to keep the win as small as possible.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normally shoot for a .000 to a .025 light when im in practice, i dial it fairly tight when i have the suspension set for consistency and in not out there after a max et run, even with this 6speed if i dont do a ***** to the walls launch and risk 60' fluctuations it will run like 10.51 10.53 10.50 back to back, if i feel an exceptional launch and see that i cut a great light and the other guy didnt i may slightly let off when i know that i have him smoked just so i dont risk the unnecessary breakout. this has always worked very well for me
Old 04-22-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

As has been told to me many times, run your own race, don't worry about the other guy. Cut a great light, dial as close as possible to your time trials, and don't let up. Diggers (or any other faster car) are a bitch to race, no matter how far a head you are don't let up, run through the finish. Those darn things will nip you in the end, their top end speed will get you. A little different strategy if I have to chase the other car down. If I pass him by the 1000' mark, I may pedal it once - but I have to be significantly ahead of him.

Good luck on your season Coach.

David
Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
As has been told to me many times, run your own race, don't worry about the other guy. Cut a great light, dial as close as possible to your time trials, and don't let up. Diggers (or any other faster car) are a bitch to race, no matter how far a head you are don't let up, run through the finish. Those darn things will nip you in the end, their top end speed will get you. A little different strategy if I have to chase the other car down. If I pass him by the 1000' mark, I may pedal it once - but I have to be significantly ahead of him.

Good luck on your season Coach.

David

thats exactically how i feel
Old 04-22-2006, 09:21 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Originally Posted by MADMAN
You Run The F$%king It Out The Back Door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You taught me well Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with everyone so far. I do ok on the tree and Madman also has me run her out the back door. We always go a couple of rounds.

Coach
Old 04-22-2006, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Dial it tight, never think about the light. I have programmed in my mind everything I do right before I turn on the second bulb when it lights, I focus on that third bulb and nothing else when it starts to illuminate I go, and if I'm way out...I might play a little tune, if I can't be sure..... I ain't lifting....

I'm lost to many races at the beginning of last year trying to cut a better light, or trying not to break out. I'm just learning though. I have a race in 6 hours... Hopefully we get it in with the rain coming...
Old 04-22-2006, 10:06 AM
7 Second Club

I try to spend at least 1-2 minutes in the car before the race concentrating on what I need to do. I have a routine I do on every pass, whether a time run or elimination round. I count on the bulbs 1-2-3 then mat the gas when I'm footbraking, and depending on how I think I cut the 'tree will affect how I drive the stripe. I try to dial honest, but if the guy I'm running is a known sandbagger I may dial up a few and not afraid to use the brakes I also try to cut down the stripe to .03 or less every time. I think with bye-runs and red-lights aside, I've had maybe made 6-8 full throttle runs last year in eliminations. I'm always thinking by half track "am I gonna catch him/be caught and do I dump or hold my line?"

Being around a bunch of friends with similar set-ups helps as we feed off each other, plus the competition level at Gainesville I feel is very good, so it makes you try harder.

Good luck everyone on your year, and hope you have fun while you makes some win lights come on in your lane! Some seem to forget that: we race for fun, so if you lose, just remember that half the people in your class that round also had the same thing happen. The win lights always help, but remember the trip down the track is what you came for!

Derek
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

Hey coach,
I can't give out any of my secrets. Sorry!!!! I do agree that you have to run your own race. Brackets are just you racing against yourself. So at the finish line you will be arguing with yourself-asking should I let off????? Good luck!!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Launching!

I usually dail mine what I think it will run unless I'm running a lot faster car. Then I'll dial it 1 number faster and not expect to break out. Unless I'm running someone a lot faster or a lot slower my goal is .01-.02 at the finish. If I know someone is going to take the stripe on me I'm not afraid to "bomb" the brakes at the last second . If I'm having a good race my only full passes are the time trials, redlights or bye runs.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well well well, a bunch of old schoolers...

Just kidding, I know a lot of racers that might as well be wearing blinders still going plenty of rounds!!!

I just can't do it. If I am running a car that is even moderately close to me in E.T., I have to dial at least 1 high and tighten it up at the finish line with a couple of "rips" on the loud pedal.

If they are slow, like 6.50 or slower (1/8th mile), then I try to stay pretty close to the dial and only kill any MPH if I KNOW I am catching them.

I also like to dial up a few if I am running a known sandbagger and F*$K their games up.

Whatever works, stick with it!
Taco
Old 04-25-2006, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Myself I try to keep it tight on the dial even though I have a car with 10 inch wide front tires that are sticky and good brakes. But since I am one of few who run a manual I usualy keep a bit in the bag since I can shave time fairly fast with them big ol brakes. Again when you run the same track against the same people I have learned never play the same games. I do have my car down to a couple hundreth variance but I never let the competition know my game. I change it up all the time, also having some one put your dial on the window at the last second helps!
I may bag a few or I MAY BE RIGHT ON IT ALL DEPENDS WHO i'M RACING. hENCE WHY A CREW HELPS. dial the car as the opponet is pulling out of the lanes!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by jake b.(killer quad)
Myself I try to keep it tight on the dial even though I have a car with 10 inch wide front tires that are sticky and good brakes. But since I am one of few who run a manual I usualy keep a bit in the bag since I can shave time fairly fast with them big ol brakes. Again when you run the same track against the same people I have learned never play the same games. I do have my car down to a couple hundreth variance but I never let the competition know my game. I change it up all the time, also having some one put your dial on the window at the last second helps!
I may bag a few or I MAY BE RIGHT ON IT ALL DEPENDS WHO i'M RACING. hENCE WHY A CREW HELPS. dial the car as the opponet is pulling out of the lanes!
im not in favor of that... but if i saw that they didnt have a dial on their car i would return the favor
Old 04-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Coach,

We could talk about this for hours. I can tell you that I dump on EVERY RUN except if they Red light. I dial tight, VERY tight. Somtimes I dump early and let them have the line others I don't dump till I go around them. I have dumped heavy on guys that I know spray. I just let go around to break out. You have to be careful though. I also do things while going down track. I move around on the track ALOT. We'll have to leave it at that. But I think top end racing is just as important as getting a good light. I have won many and lost many between the 1000' mark and the finish line.

One last thought. Making the person in the other lane change his/her choices during a race will create better luck in your corner. Forcing them to react to your decisions is way better than you reacting to their decisions.

Ken
Old 04-25-2006, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Seems like the light is more important. If it's close against a sandbagger with a faster car than me I just stay on the gas and break out and hope they break out worse. They always fall for the line "I'm just out here having fun."
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i am reading all this and am curious as to what the biggest part of the race is? even though my truck is slower than a deadman and i am new to this, it is still fun, but i don't understand any of it a the moment.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, there are different methods some think are better for bracket racing.

Depending on many varying factors, and it's a topic that can be discussed and debated for hours (and pages!).

There are those the believe that it is better to run your own race. This method is great if you know you can trust your car to run the number on a very consistent basis. You try to hit the tree (I personally always try to hit the tree, dialing tight or holding some in my pocket) and never let up, hoping to get there first without breaking out.

The other method is to hit the tree (always!) and dial "up" (i.e. you think your ::: will run 12.00, you dial 12.05) and use the brakes to keep from breaking out. The advantage (to me anyway) is that you will be so far ahead of the other car nearing the finish line that they will think (some seem to think anyway) that they are not going to get there first and they will "dump" thinking you are going to break out. You dump too and try to stay above your dial in to take the win.

Both work well if you can hit the tree and (a) your car is very consistent or (b) you can drive the finish line well enough to consistently "take the stripe" (get to the finish line first) and not break out.

I personally like to dial up a hundredth or maybe .02 and "rip" the gas (on-off-on-off the gas pedal) a few times to stay on the winning side of my dial in.

Do what you want to do, practice practice practice. Most importantly, learn to hit the tree good on a consistent basis (.010 / .510 or so regularly in pro (electronics) and .025 / .525 in footbrake) and learn what your car does.

It takes some time to learn, but it is a lot of fun when you do.

Nothing like turning loose of the button, knowing you're "good" on the tree, and running up on the guy in the other lane and "whomp-whomp-whomping" the gas and taking the stripe by .005!!!

Taco, your resident bracket expert (I know how to do it, not necessarily good at it though!)
Old 04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
so i am reading all this and am curious as to what the biggest part of the race is? even though my truck is slower than a deadman and i am new to this, it is still fun, but i don't understand any of it a the moment.
And to answer your question, being able to consistently cut a good light is THE most important thing, followed by knowing what your car is going to do and what you have to/can do to make the win light turn on!

Taco

Quick Reply: How do you drive the finish line? Lets talk strategy?