Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car spins on dr's, will slicks fix the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car spins on dr's, will slicks fix the problem?

ok my car cuts 1.40's all day long on dr's. i have a 200 shot on the car that comes in on a WOT switch that i manually switch on shortly after the car leaves the line. if i leave with the whole 200 off the line it blows the tires off. will a set of 28" slicks fix my problem?

the car has QA1's up front, TA, SFC's, Wolfe rear sway bar, LCA's, PHB, With STOCK REAR SHOCKS. The car meakes around 600 RWHP on n20. help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello, do you lca relocation brackets? What kind of torque arm?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car needs double adjustables out back too.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
9 Second Club

yes it does. i have a spohn torque arm. i was thinkin about rear shocks too im just not for sure. the car has ran 6.20's and 30's constant put i think there is still a little more left in it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

what size are the DR your running. id have to say that a ET DRAG could pickup some on the juice they will prolly kill your NA runs but for those just get a second set of rims and switch back to the DRs. good luck, lloks like you got a damn good setup going there.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 AM
8 Second Club

you either need to break it up into stages or run a progressor. A 200 shot out of the hole can be allot for a 28" Drag radial. I run a progressor on my 175 shot and I get 1.29 60's on M/T 28" DRs
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

We hook a 225 out the hole on a 400" motor with 275 drag radials. You just need the right stuff and the suspention done. Get some adjustable rear shocks( the mustang/strange ones work and are cheep). also youll need some adjustable front shocks. qal's are the most used brand. you definalty need lca relocation brackets to get a downward agle on the lca's. The main reason people spin is because the rear is not 100% square. you would be surprised what moving 30lbs of stuff will do to your 4 corner weights and where the rear is located. get a tape measure, some adjustable wrenches, a level and a friend . start with the lca's make sure the wheels are the exact distance from a few points on the front of the car. then get in the drivers seat and have some one adjust the panhard to center the rear. . do this with the swaybar endlinks loose. then adjust the pinion angel. then recheck the above measurements in order until they are the same each time. this has to be done in race trim. You will never notice minor differences driving or launching soft but it matters alot when your leaving hard. also if you can get someone to lend you corner scales it makes adjusting the fronts so much easyer. the avg fbody sits horrible on the corners with a big driver.

another big mistake is guys runnign to little air and to soft of shocks on a dr. we always start around 7 on the DSR PSF and 8 PSR DSF on the shocks and 17lbs of air.

If you don't have some of the stuff above just adjust as much of the stuff you do have as you can. but front shocks help a ton with dr's
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM
9 Second Club

I swapped from radials to full slicks and yes it solved consistency issues that I was having.... a full slicks will allow you to leave on full power without having to delay or progress your system..... that's why it a slick.... I have double adjustable shocks, the car has been scaled and setup per madman's recommendations...

we went to slicks cause we were getting ready to do pinks all out and wanted a consistent tire that we could leave on as much power as the tire would take... pass after pass was the same wheels up launches....

on DR's we would spin one pass and hook on the next... same burnout procedures, same shock setting, same tire press.. it was weird... they are very finicky tires.... and once you spin em they DON'T recover at all..... a slick will kill a few MPH tho..... I lost about 2 mph from the switch to a slick from the radial.... but my car has been killing it with the ET drags on it..... and killing my rear bumper.... I can't leave on anything more than a 150 shot without the car going vertical....
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

thanks for all the input guys, this is just what i was lookin for when i asked. to answer some of yall's questions, i have 275-60-15 et street radials, i do have relocation brackets (they came on the moser rear). i have qa1 adjustables on the front and i run them around 2 clicks with about -2 pinion angle on the rear. i run 17lb's in the tires and i have squared the car up to the best of my knowledge. my dad and i ran round track for about 13 years and we had a set of scales, wished i still had them . but ur definatley right man weight really does changed the way i car drives. so ill probably end up gettin another set of scales to help out with that too. yea and when u spin a radial, there aint no going back haha

like i said i really do appreciate all of u guys help.

i think what im gonna do is to try and get some adjustable rear shocks first, see how that goes and then try a slick.