Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 05:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What happened

Frame notching is legal to clear a tire.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rick i dont think frame nothcing is allowed....i believe just minitubbing as far as cutting out the inner sheetmetal and reworking it to clear the bigger tire
Old 09-23-2003, 09:29 AM
8 Second Club

You can frame notch to clear a tire. Nothing major. You cannot relocate or move the rear frame rails, but they may be notched to clear a tire.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

guys I think badmood has a turd stuck sideways. let him pass it and maybe he will let up
Old 09-23-2003, 10:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have a few questions...

Why DID ARE move the shocks a little bit? It looks like they moved them inward a little? Is that correct? FOr what puprose. COULD they be moved out back to the stock locaitons if need be?

Regarding the LCA's, I was under teh assumption that you needed to use at least one of the mounting plates on the body, so you could put it on the inside if you wanted to. I assume that the LCA's where moved inward for tire clearance correct?

Also, can it really be called the big dog race if the top dog isn't allowed to participate?

Just trying to learn here.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I just want to know if the rules for shootout chassis mods are recorded anywhere before I undertake rearend mods. There's lots of BS on this thread, but no coherent presentation of the rules. How would ARE, me or anyone else know what's legal and what's not?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is why I think LS1tech needs to adopt already established rules for a particular class. (NHRA or IHRA)

Then you get the car certified by an NHRA/IHRA tech (Either beforehand or on raceday during tech),

You can then race in multiple series (LS1tech and NHRA/IHRA) and LS1Tech sheilds itself from controversy.

The way it is going now I think it is a crock of ****. You have a participant in a race with a vested interest making rules that directly benefit him.

I know MADMAN's race is his own little baby but I dont think that LS1TECH should adopt the same rules.

We need to pick a class (NHRA/IHRA) and go by what that class sets the rules to be. Then you can have techs independent of LS1TECH make the legality decisions. We can all then concentrate on having fun without the bullshit.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:30 AM
8 Second Club

The whole Idea about making your own rules is so that you will have your own league of racing. If you have to same rules as someone else already established then what's the point of starting another event series. Every series is different in some way, that is what makes them DIFFERENT.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Rick,
You've been part of this whole discussion. Can you tell me how to mini-tub and narrow my rearend, and still be legal for future shootouts? No one seems to know.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

What would make our series different is that it would be LSX/fourth gen based and cater to LS1TECH.

The rules should be modelled after an existing body IMO (NHRA/IHRA)
Old 09-23-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Chris,
I agree that we need written rules, because it currently seems to be a crap shoot. I will be pissed if I make $5,000 rearend changes and then can't run because my car doesn't meet shootout rules.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Chris,
I agree that we need written rules, because it currently seems to be a crap shoot. I will be pissed if I make $5,000 rearend changes and then can't run because my car doesn't meet shootout rules.

Exactly and it would REALLY suck if you inadvertently banned yourself from other popular racing classes as well. I know I wouldn't make those kinds of changes unless I knew I could run in several classes if I choose.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris come up with a NHRA/IHRA set of rules that fit our cars and lets see them. I agree we need a set rulebook so we can go forward.

I dont see how I have a vested interest in one race. Jay and I just had an idea and are going forth. Yes I sell chassis parts but you dont have to run my parts to run my race. Why not try to contribute instead of run down the people who are trying to get this deal off the ground.

225-343-9029
Old 09-23-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

I believe that LS1tech needs to form a body that determines the rules and governs these races. I'm not sure who owns and controls LS1tech, but they should take the lead in this regard. It certainly would eliminate the uncertainty about rules and promote greater participation. I hereby volunteer to be on the governing body.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting a ruling on tire measurements allowed, would alleviate all the narrowing and moving of chassis components....just a thought ..but seems the chassis being reworked lately is to stuff as much tire as possible than anything else...do a measured 10" tread I'm sure alot of that would halt...ofcourse we would find out real quick who can drive or not and who is the superior chassis shop ...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

It's my understanding we are limited to 10.5" tread width. The location and mods to LCA, shocks, wheel wells, TA, etc. that seems to be in dispute.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

MadMan,

I understand your position. The Big Dog race is your race and a chance to showcase your suspension products. I have no problems with that. I just think LS1TECH should not adopt the rules you have set out as they are now for their own series.

I believe it should either follow an IHRA/NHRA class with independent techs or kept VERY simple...

For example:

NHRA safety equipment mandatory
Set a Minimum weight
10.5 inch max slick ("W" or Non "W")
One Stock factory style torque arm mount to the rear end

Rules are simple and all types of cars can run and are still able to run in whatever other classes they happen to race in outside LS1tech.

Just my opinion...

Chris
Old 09-23-2003, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris so far the cars that have signed up to race only 2 have my pieces on them. 2 have Billingsley stuff, and 2 have either BMR or Spohn.
I see the rules you posted would be very easy to tech but I think we need to be a little more stringent.

225-343-9029
Old 09-23-2003, 01:41 PM
8 Second Club

Rick,
You've been part of this whole discussion. Can you tell me how to mini-tub and narrow my rearend, and still be legal for future shootouts? No one seems to know.
You can mini tub and narrow the rear end with out moving any suspension pieces. I plan on doing it this fall after thunder. This is how Madmans car is done. If you put big enough tubs you can get the low level look of the ARE car without moving anything in. I mainly want to narrow my rear more then it is now to get that big tire look from the deep dish rims. Madman or Jay Billingsley can hook up on doing the mini tubs and narrowing the rear. Madman will be cutting my rear down more since he has a jig and can keep everything nice and straight while I do the tubs myself.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:45 PM
8 Second Club

Putting a ruling on tire measurements allowed, would alleviate all the narrowing and moving of chassis components....just a thought ..but seems the chassis being reworked lately is to stuff as much tire as possible than anything else...do a measured 10" tread I'm sure alot of that would halt...ofcourse we would find out real quick who can drive or not and who is the superior chassis shop ...
I don't like the measured 10" rule. After some passes the 29.5 true 10's will still get a little wide. Happens down here all the time. We have about 5 different 10.5" tire classes. Some use the 10.5 measured and some use sidewall. No body allows 'W's though. But here is my point. If you run 10.5" then there is no need to move around suspension peices cause everyone know's they'll fit fine.