Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can also take your front fender off and slide it out the rubber grommet area
Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes like wilsmoku said, if u dont want a hole in the bottom or your door, remove the plastic inner fender well and remove the rubber hose with wires to the door and slide the bar thru that hole into the front fender area
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got the bump stops cut out from the rear yet? I did mine last week, and they were heavy, i would say i cut close to 10 pounds each side.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
You got the bump stops cut out from the rear yet? I did mine last week, and they were heavy, i would say i cut close to 10 pounds each side.
will i need the bumpstops considering my car is lowered?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill be definetly taking them off..thanks for the tip
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any other overlooked weight saving tips???
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cbra-klla
any other overlooked weight saving tips???
amen. keep this thread going. i want EVERYTHING that may be overlooked that i may consider cutting frm the car (like the bumpstops) i hadnt thought of that
Old 01-10-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Bump stops

Yea, i just removed them, because i know how much of a bitch it is to get them out when you remove the rear. Once you disconnect the shocks it wants to SHOOT the rear toward the ground. I removed them for easier install of my springs, wieght reduction, and if i want to lower my car more(cut the springs farther) i know i can with out having any troubles.

The picture explains it all. I did it with a sawzaw in about 2 minutes a side. Then ground the edges smooth(safety first). The metal you will remove is double sided so be careful, and do not to take to much off.

I am going to work on the car tomorrow, i will take pictures of anything else i can think of that i have removed, big or small. Hope this helps guys
Attached Thumbnails ???cutting metal...???-002.jpg  
Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

im not too sure on the bump stops, what if you launch REALLY hard on nitrous and you bottom out the car on the rearend, or im sure something else would hit the floor board first. Just thinking outside the box on that one.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
im not too sure on the bump stops, what if you launch REALLY hard on nitrous and you bottom out the car on the rearend, or im sure something else would hit the floor board first. Just thinking outside the box on that one.
Well you seen photos of my launch under Good 3,000 RPM Launch Photo and I have produce some 1.40 sixty foots NA. If anything the car body appears to be lifting or the tires are getting packed into the ground at launch I do not see it causing damage.

I would think my torque bracket on the rear end would hit before the tubes would hit.

I took off the rubber bumpers but have not removed the steel. After reading this thread I will be getting the saw and grinder out for sure.

N2
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

hummmm... ill look into that when i work on my car today. Good points. Only thing i would worry about then is my upper TA bolt hitting on my MWC fab9...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, i just removed them, because i know how much of a bitch it is to get them out when you remove the rear. Once you disconnect the shocks it wants to SHOOT the rear toward the ground. I removed them for easier install of my springs, wieght reduction, and if i want to lower my car more(cut the springs farther) i know i can with out having any troubles.

The picture explains it all. I did it with a sawzaw in about 2 minutes a side. Then ground the edges smooth(safety first). The metal you will remove is double sided so be careful, and do not to take to much off.

I am going to work on the car tomorrow, i will take pictures of anything else i can think of that i have removed, big or small. Hope this helps guys
hey man, from looking at the pic, looks like u cut the sheet metal around the wheelwell with the bumpstop/bracket.....am i correct??? can u cut the bumpstop contact plates on the rearend???

also do please post any other 'metals' u have cut frm your car

Last edited by nemss1; 01-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Awesome, This is very helpful for what I am doing.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nemss1
hey man, from looking at the pic, looks like u cut the sheet metal around the wheelwell with the bumpstop/bracket.....am i correct??? can u cut the bumpstop contact plates on the rearend???

also do please post any other 'metals' u have cut frm your car
You would be correct. I have a 12 bolt.....so mine didnt have stops to begin with, but i would imagine it would be ok. The next thing thats getting cut out of the car is the front horns(mounting brackets on the frame for the front bumper support), front sway bar mounts, and front support fender metal. If I can think of anything else that is a gain that is over looked you will be the first to know.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

You would be correct. I have a 12 bolt.....so mine didnt have stops to begin with, but i would imagine it would be ok. The next thing thats getting cut out of the car is the front horns(mounting brackets on the frame for the front bumper support), front sway bar mounts, and front support fender metal. If I can think of anything else that is a gain that is over looked you will be the first to know.
alright, thanx alot man! gonna start hacking away!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i took everything off mine, depending on how far you wanna go the frame hors are kinda a pain. Click the link in my sog, i have a lot of pics in there
Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
yea i took everything off mine, depending on how far you wanna go the frame hors are kinda a pain. Click the link in my sog, i have a lot of pics in there
There not to bad if you have a cutting torch, but I really like the way your front fenders turned out. It is the cleanest Ive seen done. Mind if I ask what you used to cut them out? Or did you just take a angle grinder, and make it all pretty after the cuts??? Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

removed radiator/airdam bracket, removed lower rear seat brackets and heat shield/misc brackets under the car. getting some cutoff wheels and depending on how much time and daylight i have, plan on cutting frame-horns, bumpstop bracket and inner fender metal
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

question.....looking at all the cars metal, was wondering if there are any ways to cut and reduce weight on the:

*metal on the back of the car
*sail panel metal (interior)
*metal on inner fender towards firewall
Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 AM
TECH Veteran

There not to bad if you have a cutting torch, but I really like the way your front fenders turned out. It is the cleanest Ive seen done. Mind if I ask what you used to cut them out? Or did you just take a angle grinder, and make it all pretty after the cuts??? Thanks

i cut it with a angle grinder and ground it super close with the grinder wheel on the angle grinder. Took about 2 hours a side but it came out real nice, thanks

Quick Reply: ???cutting metal...???