Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any of you guys removed your trunk area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009 | 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by millerpa
Just weight the 3 tubs.

Big middle tub 11lbs
Pass. tub 8lbs
Driv. 7

Not sure how much the sheet metal would weight now that its in the car
Guessing 8-12lbs
thanx man. plan on cutting the hatch area real soon when its warm out
Old 01-16-2009 | 10:36 AM
8 second mod

i just notched mine where it was going to hit. this way i left my stock carpet in there so she still looks pretty. i like the clean look, i'll give up the 4-5 pounds.

for what its worth a light weight battery mounted up front will help allot for less weight, and lowwer wheelies then a big batt in the trunk. a big plus for you would be to move it.

kind of like this.

Old 01-16-2009 | 10:50 AM
Race your car!

Only problem with the little battery like that is that they don't like to crank a big compression big ci motor for ****. I tried that route, had to keep the car on the trickle charger with it in the garage all the time, hell last year when I went to atco I was starting the car with a jump pack every run.

I agree that the weight in the trunk does promote wheelie action (note sig picture, it never did that until the battery went back there) but I'd rather have the ability to not have to mess with the charger and the issues of that little guy dying all the time.

If you can get away with it Brad that's cool, I just couldn't do it. Now with alot less electronic stuff in the car maybe I could, but there's no way I'd be running an electric bottle heater off that battery and still be able to start the car.... which makes it a no go for me.
Old 01-16-2009 | 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running Madman 66" wheelie bars. You can see how much I had to notch to run them 10" to 12" off the ground. I may may have gone a little too far but you get the idea. In the picture they are 10.5" off the ground. You can see where I removed the T-top area. It was not a significant weight loss. As a matter of fact it is a real good place for smoke from the burnout to collect and get sucked out going down the track so it looks like the engine smokes. Hell it might smoke...but it better not. By the way, unless you plan to buy expensive parts like drag brakes that is a tough weight goal to meet. Also, if you plan to run in the 8's you will need a cage and not a a roll bar.
Attached Thumbnails any of you guys removed your trunk area?-p1020031.jpg   any of you guys removed your trunk area?-picture-013.jpg  
Old 01-16-2009 | 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

question regarding the stock fuel tank: could i still use the stock tank? arent the straps attached to the ttop tub area? if so....how do i use the stock tank if i cut out the 3 sections just like millerpa did???
Old 01-16-2009 | 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98 Silver Bullet
By the way, unless you plan to buy expensive parts like drag brakes that is a tough weight goal to meet. Also, if you plan to run in the 8's you will need a cage and not a a roll bar.
I believe ur where refering to me but not sure??, yes there expensive for a 20 year old that pays outta pocked for every thing. But when its done it will be worth it and ill be proud

Ill Be running Strange Sportsmans/Billet Spec all the way around. and be running a wolfe 10pt, going with as much light weight parts as possible.

Pin on Hood, hatch/lexan
Full tubular suspension
Midwest chassis lightened 9"
tubular nose
wolfe 10pt, kirkleys, light weight carpet, gutted dash firewall.

This car is running the BARE Minimun parts to make it run and slide by being street legal
Old 01-16-2009 | 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nemss1
question regarding the stock fuel tank: could i still use the stock tank? arent the straps attached to the ttop tub area? if so....how do i use the stock tank if i cut out the 3 sections just like millerpa did???
Yes you still can. look at pics and u will c two tabs that hold your tanks straps. They do attatch to the middle tub yes, but all you have to do is drill out the spot welds and u will be fine.

Attached Thumbnails any of you guys removed your trunk area?-cimg1752.jpg  
Old 01-16-2009 | 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

I believe ur where refering to me but not sure??, yes there expensive for a 20 year old that pays outta pocked for every thing. But when its done it will be worth it and ill be proud

Ill Be running Strange Sportsmans/Billet Spec all the way around. and be running a wolfe 10pt, going with as much light weight parts as possible.

Pin on Hood, hatch/lexan
Full tubular suspension
Midwest chassis lightened 9"
tubular nose
wolfe 10pt, kirkleys, light weight carpet, gutted dash firewall.

This car is running the BARE Minimun parts to make it run and slide by being street legal

Might as well but the icing on the cake with being dangerous for the street and go fiberglass doors lol.
Old 01-16-2009 | 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Might as well but the icing on the cake with being dangerous for the street and go fiberglass doors lol.
Yes lol i want to so bad but if im correct i would not be able to use functional windows? they would be riveted lexan correct. I can garantee i will down the road u bet, they will most likely be a set i throw on for a friday night cruz to scare people and for the track of course
Old 01-16-2009 | 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Some guys have lexan roll up and down windows but not many.

With Lexan your car will be even more of a cop magnet, seriously man, if your insurance compnay gets wind of your car you are screwed, if someone hits you and its their falt you will get droped on the spot. I am taking a lot of weight out of my car but I will have a 25.2 around me.... and will not be on the street.

My wifes car will see very little time with the cut off wheel for the same reasons.
Old 01-16-2009 | 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some guys have lexan roll up and down windows but not many.

With Lexan your car will be even more of a cop magnet, seriously man, if your insurance compnay gets wind of your car you are screwed, if someone hits you and its their falt you will get droped on the spot. I am taking a lot of weight out of my car but I will have a 25.2 around me.... and will not be on the street.

My wifes car will see very little time with the cut off wheel for the same reasons.
I would say lexan is safer than glass...
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dlove
I would say lexan is safer than glass...
It is, my point is that its not DOT legal as far as I know and its a huge cop magnet.

At the very least go speed glass. It looks like glass.
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:15 PM
On The Tree

+1 for lexan being safer imo. im just doing my rear though. it will have normal window in front.

I know u cant prevent an accident, but i drive my car like the 80 year old man in his brand new vette lol. im very carefull and allways alert, seat belts on, blinkers all that ****, i like being on the cops side. I do my work on the track +1

Im in wyoming and we have like absolutly no rules lol. No emissions, like nothing really? As long as your driving good and just cruising they could care less wut u drive. besides seat belts, lights, blinkers ect.
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

thanx for the response and pic millerpa. that answrd my question
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

also, what the thinnest/lightest gauge metal i could use to cover the holes?
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

I know u cant prevent an accident, but i drive my car like the 80 year old man in his brand new vette lol. im very carefull and allways alert, seat belts on, blinkers
Its the other drivers I am worried about. There is allways that one car you don't see. Even then remember that your insurance agent will laugh at you if anything ever does happen lol.
Old 01-17-2009 | 01:03 AM
8 Second Club

I did remove mine this past year and it was of the best things i have done for as time spent and making the car better. I wanted to put a fuel cell in the car and the hole was full of ice box. i pulled a tape on it and did a lot of thinking. their is nothing square in the back of these cars. so i droped the tank and laid a straight edge from frame to frame and drew a line with a sharpy on front and back then hit it with a plasma cutter in ten min. it was out . a little little sheet metal and wire welding and seam sealer . built my 2 cells and sumps cut out for them and man is their room under their now. easy as hech to jack it up now.
Old 01-17-2009 | 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Its the other drivers I am worried about. There is allways that one car you don't see. Even then remember that your insurance agent will laugh at you if anything ever does happen lol.
Yes no matter how carefull you are theres always that dumb *** driver thats not paying attention and has to **** every thing up!

For insurance i think ill be ok. My friend that ive know for awhile just offered me to try going through him for insurance. And so i did, so maybe ill be ok?
As long as its street legal 100%

Lights ect, seat belts, Factory front window, dot tires i really dont c the problem with the insurance? i hope i never find out by getting in a wreck though
Old 01-17-2009 | 07:45 AM
Race your car!

Trust me, you get in an accident and the bumper supports are out of the car, they're not covering ****.

With what you have done from the pictures you've put up, that car has no place on the road.
Old 01-17-2009 | 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

I guess we need to tell all the low riders with roll pans thay are not coverd as well just food for the skull

Quick Reply: any of you guys removed your trunk area?