Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolfe 10 point install starts Saturday a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wolfe 10 point install starts Saturday a few questions

Well I dropped my car off tonight at my buddies house so he and his dad can weld my cage in. They are both Welder Fabricators and will be TIG welding in my CM wolfe race craft 10point.

Any pointers to help make the install go as smoothly as possible?

Also we were test fitting a few bars today and looking at how things will go together. Is the Rocker Bar a required bar? If it is how are people attaching there drivers seat belt since it blocks the bolt hole.

Also I think I have heard that the bar behind the dash is not required is that correct?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bar behind the dash is not required unless you modified your firewall. Taking out heatercore/ac box is ok, but if you cut it i think around 1 sq ft then you need the dash bar.. Why wouldn't you want it? The dash is fun to take out

I still need to take my dash out. Good luck on the install.

Chris
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

My Dash and heater box are out just ready to start installing the cage. The reason I don't want the dash bar is so I could keep my defrost ducts and stuff for my heat. I am ditching the AC but I want to keep my heat and defrost stuff intact.

I also just go off the phone with a friend that works at a local performance parts shop and he said he thinks they changed the rules this year and the rocker bar is required now. Anyone else confirm this
Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
9 Second Club

Which bar are you calling the rocker bar?? i have the 09 rulebook next to me.. All that is required up to 8.50 on our car is a 8 pt, with subframe connectors.

Main hoop, halo, rear down bars, door bars, and bars from halo down.

Chris
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
Which bar are you calling the rocker bar?? i have the 09 rulebook next to me.. All that is required up to 8.50 on our car is a 8 pt, with subframe connectors.

Main hoop, halo, rear down bars, door bars, and bars from halo down.

Chris
Wolfe sent me a drivers rocker bar. runs along the floor from the main hoop to the front bars and is under the door bar
Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

according to the rule book.... is mandatory in any car with a modified floor or rocker box within the roll cage uprights, unless an oem framerail is located below and outside the driver legs...

goes on to say what materials sizes how ect... you should be ok without it.. hopefully someone else can confirm. rule book is hard to read sometimes.

Chris
Old 02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Well I spoke with Wolfe today. They said that bar is kind of a gray area in the rules and it depends how you rear it. They recommend using the bar for the added safety. They also said that if installed properly the seat belt bolt will clear it.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Well I spoke with Wolfe today. They said that bar is kind of a gray area in the rules and it depends how you rear it. They recommend using the bar for the added safety. They also said that if installed properly the seat belt bolt will clear it.
With my 96 they had to ditch the drivers and passenger seat belt. It was a WOLFE kit and they spend some time trying to figure it out but with the way the bar was cut and all it was not going to happen. You may have to cut a bar yourself.

The kits are nice but not perfect, just because there are scribe marks on were to weld double check it.

My passenger A-pillar bar was farther away from the glass then the driver.... if the welders would have been paying attention I am sure they could have fixed that.

I would run the bar under the dash and the rocker pannel bars.... a lot safer if you think about it. If you get t-bones up by your feet and that dash bar is not there then there will not be much to keep that bar from caving in and it and the rocker bars really help to tie the cage together. The dash bar will also help keep everything together in a roll over but thats JMHO.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 02-18-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my 94 camaro Certed two weeks ago with a wolfe 10 pt cage with swing out door bars.
I put the dash bar in , just bc i dont have anything behind the dash.
You DONT have to have a rocker bar on a 93-02 f-body, as long as the sub frame connector are the correct thickness, which most are..

My car passed with out a rocker bar and another older car (70ish) failed inspection bc he didnt have a rocker bar on his.

As the rule states, our sub frame connectors count as the rocker bar, and wolfe just sends them for safety
Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JUICED96Z;11046976]

The kits are nice but not perfect, just because there are scripe marks on were to weld double check it.
My passenger A-pillar bar was farther away from the glass then the driver.... if the welfers would have been paying attention I am sure they could have fixed that.
QUOTE]

This statement is 100% true 2 of our 10pt WC cages had the same exact issue, luckly the chassis shop and guys welding caught it and got it corrected. Check it out very close.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine went in ok with a few tweeks to the rear bars and the door bars
have got a few picks of it installed. email me on alz28@tiscali.co.uk if you need them. we left out the front bar. no way to get it in without removing dash
Old 02-15-2009, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
I just had my 94 camaro Certed two weeks ago with a wolfe 10 pt cage with swing out door bars.
I put the dash bar in , just bc i dont have anything behind the dash.
You DONT have to have a rocker bar on a 93-02 f-body, as long as the sub frame connector are the correct thickness, which most are..

My car passed with out a rocker bar and another older car (70ish) failed inspection bc he didnt have a rocker bar on his.

As the rule states, our sub frame connectors count as the rocker bar, and wolfe just sends them for safety
Good to know I have Spohn Subfame connectors and I know they are big tubes. I Am really not a fan of installing that rocker bar. If that is the case I will leave it out. Not like it will be that hard to install later if I need to.

I am still debating the dash bar. I would like to keep it out so I can retain my duct work for my hvac system.

Quick Reply: Wolfe 10 point install starts Saturday a few questions